PDA

View Full Version : How can i clean this??

kochh2
08-01-2008, 08:47 AM
DD hsa slept on her ikea lambskin rug since she was born... its startign to smell, and i not as white as it was when it came home... after 16 months or daily use!! I know you can't machine wash ikea lambskin, but hsa anyone tried it??? I mean, i have a front loader, and could do a cold gentle cycle, but i don't want to ruin it... any one BTDT?? TY~~

brittone2
08-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi Hol :hug:

If I was going to try it, I'd probably try handwashing in the tub w/ some wool-safe soap (like what you'd use to wash a wool soaker with, or a nice cashmere sweater). I think you'd be less likely to get the wool all tangly, felted, matted, etc.

I swear I remember reading once that someone used some kind of dog grooming comb to get knots out, etc.

eta: once you squeeze out as much water as you can, etc, I'd roll it up in some big bath/beach towels and squeeze the water out as you roll the sheepskin and towels together.

It might get matted no matter what though. And since I haven't actually tried doing this, you might want to ignore me entirely ;)

LBW
08-01-2008, 11:30 AM
there are wasing instructions for sheepskin rugs here:
http://www.kiwi-sheepskins.com/sheepskin-care.asp

good luck!

Wife_and_mommy
08-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I'll just add that a friend's dd actually *wants* her lovie to smell bad. The duplicates that are fresh/newer than the original don't get nearly the love the "good-smelling" one does. She actually sniffs them to find "the one".

FYI, the "good-smelling" one reeks. The "stinky" ones are the fresh/newer ones.:ROTFLMAO:

brittone2
08-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Have you tried just sunning it for a few days to see if that takes some of the smell out?

I wonder if you could spritz it w/ a little water and put it in the sun for a day or two to see how much that freshens it up before moving toward washing it?

kochh2
08-01-2008, 09:04 PM
thanks!! I just sprayed it with a cinnamon deodorizer i had... hopefully that will do the trick, but.. ITA about the dog grooming comb, thats what we do to sort of de-mat the thing... Tonight it's damp, and lily woke up shortly after falling asleep, sat up and complained and the put her head on me... that doesn't ever happen with "lamby"... oh well.. i will sun it tomorrow and PRAY that Tucker (our pooch) doesn't get it!!