PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else been paying attention to this story?

theCAS
08-01-2008, 12:14 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/30/caylee.grandmother/index.html?iref=newssearch

This whole situation is completely beyond me...

MelissaTC
08-01-2008, 12:18 PM
This whole situation is beyond me too. I don't get it. It makes no sense whatsoever. No sense at all. That poor baby!

brittone2
08-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, that story is sad and crazy. I saw some cable coverage of it the other night (I've heard about the story but didn't know all of the details). They showed pics of the mom out clubbing during the period of time where her daughter was missing. Smiling, partying, mugging for photos with her friends.

And then this thing about the odor in the car and grandma blaming it on old pizza.

This is one seriously warped story.

kijip
08-01-2008, 12:53 PM
I am sure the girl is dead and that the mother either killed her or had something to do with it. No way, no how does a child go missing and you just not report it.

icunurse
08-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I briefly watched something a week ago and they mentioned that the grandma did a lot of the care for the little girl, so why would the Mom kill her if she just wanted to be free of her? Why not just leave the ltitle girl behind with the grandma?? I fear the little girl has been given/sold into some horrible ring. Whatever the ending, both Mom and grandma seem very suspicious...

kijip
08-01-2008, 01:23 PM
I briefly watched something a week ago and they mentioned that the grandma did a lot of the care for the little girl, so why would the Mom kill her if she just wanted to be free of her? Why not just leave the ltitle girl behind with the grandma?? I fear the little girl has been given/sold into some horrible ring. Whatever the ending, both Mom and grandma seem very suspicious...

Sadly, young children who are murdered are most often killed by parents or close caregivers. It could have been in accident connected to physical abuse, it could be a mental break, it could be an accident she was too afraid to report. Who knows? But if a child goes missing, you don't just not call the police for that long unless you have some reason to hide. And the trunk smelling like de-comp? Ick.

karolyp
08-01-2008, 01:35 PM
I am from the same part Orlando as this family. The parents live closeby to my house, and the mother's (former?) place of work is right next to my daycare. Needless to say the story is getting TONS of local media coverage here. And I agree - it is strange strange strange. And it gets stranger by the minute too. I personally believe the grandmother is as guilty as the mother and that she should be locked up. How can you say the car smells like a dead body, and then back track and say it smells like an old pizza? How can you *not* remember the last time you saw Caylee? (if I am correct, they said she went missing a little over a month, and then backtracked and said they saw her on fathers day). How can the mother go on partying while her daughter is missing? How can the mother tell investigators that she knows where Caylee is, and then all of a sudden say she doesn't know? The mother is FULL of lies and BS. I also think that there is a LOT that the police know, but are keeping quiet for now.

I pray the little girl is alive, but I fear the worst has happend here :(

elektra
08-01-2008, 01:52 PM
So bizarre. Who would not report their child missing????
I do have to say though that even though the story does not add up, and the mother is probably lying, the coverage I saw on Nancy Grace really rubbed me the wrong way.
They just kept flashing about 3 or 4 pictures of the mother smiling while she was out, and that was supposedly a sign that she was guilty and heartless. Even though the story does not add up, smiling in public after a loss does not mean that you are heartless, guilty or anything like that.

brittone2
08-01-2008, 02:05 PM

People snap sometimes. It seems like the mom had some issues and wasn't super responsible/mature. She might not have been able to handle the demands of caring for a young child and snapped. There was a new boyfriend in the picture. Maybe he snapped. There was some speculation IIRC about Xanax being used (maybe trying to sedate the child and ODing her own DD). As Katie said, most of the time it is the parent, sadly. Just like pregnant women are most likely to be killed by their own spouse. It isn't something most of us can grasp, but it usually is a family member or caregiver.

icunurse
08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
People snap sometimes. It seems like the mom had some issues and wasn't super responsible/mature. She might not have been able to handle the demands of caring for a young child and snapped. There was a new boyfriend in the picture. Maybe he snapped. There was some speculation IIRC about Xanax being used (maybe trying to sedate the child and ODing her own DD). As Katie said, most of the time it is the parent, sadly. Just like pregnant women are most likely to be killed by their own spouse. It isn't something most of us can grasp, but it usually is a family member or caregiver.

Sorry, as my previous comment probably wasn't clear - *the media report I was watching* had the questions/comments about why would she kill her if she could just abandon her, etc. Not me. Unfortunately, from work experience, I see every day how those who should love you the most tend to hurt you the worst. I definitely think the Mom did something and I don't buy the "babysitter wanted her" story at all. Whether the little girl is dead or sold, this story is just sad, sad, sad.

tnrnchick74
08-01-2008, 03:12 PM
I am from the same part Orlando as this family. The parents live closeby to my house, and the mother's (former?) place of work is right next to my daycare. Needless to say the story is getting TONS of local media coverage here. And I agree - it is strange strange strange. And it gets stranger by the minute too. I personally believe the grandmother is as guilty as the mother and that she should be locked up. How can you say the car smells like a dead body, and then back track and say it smells like an old pizza? How can you *not* remember the last time you saw Caylee? (if I am correct, they said she went missing a little over a month, and then backtracked and said they saw her on fathers day). How can the mother go on partying while her daughter is missing? How can the mother tell investigators that she knows where Caylee is, and then all of a sudden say she doesn't know? The mother is FULL of lies and BS. I also think that there is a LOT that the police know, but are keeping quiet for now.

I pray the little girl is alive, but I fear the worst has happend here :(

I'm here in this area as well...LOTS of local coverage! I agree that the grandmother appears as guilty as the mother appears. My Mom & I have had this duscussion...and if it were our situation, well, there wouldn't be a situation. My Mother sees Parker everyday and to not see him even for a few hours, she calls & wants to know what is going on. And if I were arrested like this mother, my butt would be staying in jail. There would be no way my family would bail me out. There isn't anything that mother couldn't tell police outside of jail than she can inside.