PDA

View Full Version : Homebirth

Raidra
08-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Just out of curiosity.. do you know anyone in person (not someone you only know online) who has had a successful, planned homebirth? I'm talking about within the last ten years or so, not our grandparents. ;)

I was shocked to find that my good-sized city hadn't recorded a homebirth since 1999. I thought for sure there were more of us out there, but then, I only know one person IRL who has had a homebirth.

SnuggleBuggles
08-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Yes, there were 3 moms in my prenatal yoga class that had planned homebirths. You just have to find the right niche in your city sometimes. I had thought that that yoga class was "crunchy" enough to discuss cloth diapering but they one upped me by saying they did EC instead. :)

Beth

o_mom
08-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Quite a few, actually. The neighbor three doors up had her baby at home just a few months ago and a friend from church last fall. Another friend had her youngest daughter at home - I think she is three now, pretty sure she was a VBAC. And my favorite - a woman I know had a breech HBA2C a little over a year ago, but it wasn't at her house because her mother went a bit crazy and called the police on her so they went to someone else's house.

It sounds like I know all the crunchy folks in town, doesn't it? :ROTFLMAO:

AngelaS
08-01-2008, 04:33 PM
I know one mom from MOPS who's had two and a mom in my homeschool group who's had 4? or maybe 5? and another who's had a couple. :)

brittone2
08-01-2008, 04:36 PM
Yep, but I live in an area w/ a good size pocket of crunchy (and a freestanding birthcenter, so while that isn't a homebirth, it isn't exactly mainstream).

When I was pg w/ DS (5 years ago), there was a very young couple in my Hypnobirthing class (they were maybe 19 or 20?). They were college students. Anyway, they were traveling to the Farm to have their baby (and staying there a month to be sure they were there in advance, etc.)

If we ever have a third, I'm strongly considering a homebirth. My labor w/ DD was so fast (3ish hours, but I wasn't even sure I was in active labor and showed up at the birth center 10 cm dilated. Water hadn't broken yet at that point or it would have been faster), that I'm not sure if my care provider would make it here in time. We do have the option of a freestanding birth center (where my DD was born) 20-25 mins from home. The birthcenter is only about 5 mins from a major university hospital and it has its own pediatric hospital.

I think homebirth rocks :) I'd love to have one some day.

m448
08-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Tons, in fact I'm planning my first homebirth (did CNM hospital births with the first two). I've loved it so far and am excitedly looking forward to finally giving birth on my own turf with 100% of the people around me supportive of my choice.

The midwife I'm using has been doing this for 15 years and about 90% of the homebirthers I meet in the area have used her.

Raidra
08-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Wow, I'm jealous! My area is pretty mainstream, maybe that's why. I'm attending a Birth Circle this month to talk about my homebirth to pregnant women considering using a midwife, so hopefully that'll be a good place to meet like-minded moms. It always sucks when I rave about my homebirth, about how fun it was, and the person I'm talking to looks at me like I'm crazy.

Wife_and_mommy
08-01-2008, 04:54 PM
I personally know one family with 5 hb's, another with 1. I'm sure there are more I can't think of. I used a birth center for my kids so heard about them all the time.

I'm considering having one for #3.

Wife_and_mommy
08-01-2008, 04:57 PM
It always sucks when I rave about my homebirth, about how fun it was, and the person I'm talking to looks at me like I'm crazy.

I get that alot for my freestanding birth center birth.:ROTFLMAO: They'll have me committed when/if I start talking about a homebirth.:hysterical:

lizajane
08-01-2008, 05:12 PM
I have a friend from high school who is a midwife and she had a succesful homebirth. unfortunately, my friend who planned a birth center/intervention-free birth for her first ended up in the hospital with an epidural due to a 24 hour intense labor. and she planned a homebirth for her twins, and had one at home. but then started to hemorrage and had to be rushed to the hospital where they put her under general anesthsia and cut out the 2nd twin and then took her (the DD) to a DIFFERENT hospital from the mom. she was maaaaaaaaaaad. and for good reason. they did everything she asked them NOT to do to her and the baby (obviously, they had to do intervention to keep her and the baby safe... but there is a lot more to the story...)

i personally do not want a homebirth. ever. no thank you. but i think people who DO want them are super duper. :)

JTsMom
08-01-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm considering one next time around, and it would be an HBAC! Call in the men with the white coats! LOL A friend of mine is pg right now, and leaning towards HB as well. If you're interested in meeting like-minded moms, I've met several through MDC's Finding Your Tribe board. There are several of us in this area that get together for various playgroups. It's really nice to know some people IRL that you don't have to feel defensive about your parenting style with.

m448
08-01-2008, 05:30 PM
I remember working on DH as far as a homebirth right after I had #2. I was in transition, travelling with my doula down the highway at 3am thinking, "this is absolutely ridiculous!" I thought it was so dumb to be travelling during a moment when I needed to focus the most.

In fact, for #2's birth a friend who had just finished her midwifery training and was practicing as a HB midwife visited me twice that day the last time just to check for dilation since she knew I didn't want to leave the house (with our then 2 year old) unless I was almost done dilating.

So I talked it up, kept discussing it with DH and the minute I got pregnant with #3 I said, "so I'm calling the midwife". What's funny is that the CNM that took care of me for my first two births was one of the few that worked on her own (albeit under an OB) but had been edged out of the market by factors against midwifery care. When hubby went to register R's birth the person at the state office said, "hey you had MC deliver your baby? So did we! Is she practicing again?" LOL

Since my husband had been used to midwifery care, then a doula with #2 it wasn't a great leap for us to consider homebirth.

kijip
08-01-2008, 05:44 PM
I know quite a few IRL and only 1 that had to transfer. It was our first pick for this birth, but I love the midwife I have that delivers at a very baby friendly hospital facility (only 12% c section rate, nearly all births are attended by midwifes and they don't take a baby not in immediate danger/distress away from the parents to wipe off or measure for an hour or 2 as the parents indicate) and did not connect with any of the midwives that do HBACs here in this area at all. An unassisted birth is out of the question for me, so I feel like we made a good choice given the limited options.

Twoboos
08-01-2008, 05:56 PM
i personally do not want a homebirth. ever. no thank you. but i think people who DO want them are super duper. :)

Exactly what Liza said here! :)

My one of my BF's just had one. But she's the only person I know and she's way far away in Hawaii.

SnuggleBuggles
08-01-2008, 06:25 PM
I remember working on DH as far as a homebirth right after I had #2. I was in transition, travelling with my doula down the highway at 3am thinking, "this is absolutely ridiculous!" I thought it was so dumb to be travelling during a moment when I needed to focus the most.

Luckily we got in still in active labor (4cm) but in earlier labor I was relaxing at home thinking about how silly it was to not just be staying at home. Of course, when things got really messy later on I felt better about my choice of the birth center. Had I not loved the birth center so much I would do a homebirth.

Beth

Tondi G
08-01-2008, 07:04 PM
I have a friend who had a home birth and loved it. Her midwife is the mother of a friend of DHs from High School! Our neighbors across the street are also planning on a home birth!

bubbaray
08-01-2008, 07:17 PM
I know one mom IRL who tried a home birth, but after 24hrs of active labor was transfered to a hospital and had an emergency c/s. I don't know anyone else who has wanted a home birth nor tried for one.

shilo
08-01-2008, 07:54 PM
altho i know more moms than i can count who have chosen/delivered with midwives, i know only two IRL who have tried HB, and both were unsuccessful (i don't think that's probably representative of the norm tho?) - and i live in an area that has more than it's fair share of 'crunch' ;).

one is a friend from a play group who was a P1G1 attempt and ended up with a C after a little over 24 hours (26 i think?) - not the end to the experience the mom was hoping for, but both were healthy and she's still glad she tried to do it her way. she's now expecting again, and last she and i talked she was leaning towards a repeat C but was still undecided.

the other is the wife of an old co-worker. a P2G1 VHBAC attempt that ended tragically.

lori

LGMmomma
08-01-2008, 08:03 PM
I've had a successful homebirth and I know several other women who have too. I've gone to birth circle meetings in my area and have met several doulas and other moms who have all had homebirths. My best friend planned a homebirth for her son's birth 9 months ago, but ended up deciding on a hospital birth mid-pregnancy because she couldn't afford it and her family wasn't supportive :-(.

buddyleebaby
08-01-2008, 09:47 PM
My dear friend just HBed her first baby. She labored in a birth pool and her midwife arrived just in time to catch.
She lives in NYC.

jk3
08-02-2008, 08:28 AM
No. I do not know anyone irl who has even considered this. We like our doctors! I know that statistically the odds are in one's favor for a healthy outcome but as someone who required swift medical intervention for both of my children's births I think it's irresponsible to go that route. The birth experience did not rank high on my list. Having a healthy baby and mother did. I'm extremely liberal in most other areas but not this one.

brittone2
08-02-2008, 08:45 AM
No. I do not know anyone irl who has even considered this. We like our doctors! I know that statistically the odds are in one's favor for a healthy outcome but as someone who required swift medical intervention for both of my children's births I think it's irresponsible to go that route. The birth experience did not rank high on my list. Having a healthy baby and mother did. I'm extremely liberal in most other areas but not this one.

Obviously, everyone is entitled to her own opinion. I just wanted to offer up that I don't think the choice to homebirth is just about the birth experience whatsoever. The reason that healthy, uncomplicated pregnancies can be delivered safely at home from a statistical standpoint is that hospitals have their own risks. The cascade of interventions that often leads to c/s poses very real risks to a baby (including death) as well. Yes, there are different risks to homebirth and a hospital birth, but I think the suggestion that moms choose to homebirth for the birth experience above their child's safety is unnecessarily accusatory. JMO. The moms I know choose to homebirth because their research leads them to believe it is safer, or at the very least, equally safe.

JTsMom
08-02-2008, 09:18 AM
:yeahthat: Well said, Beth.

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2008, 10:23 AM
The book "Pushed" by Jennifer Block is a huge eye opener just in the first chapter (hint, hint- read that even if you don't want to read the whole thing). It starts off telling the story of a hospital in Florida with a really high rate of c-sections, inductions and routine interventions and what happened when they lost power for a few days. The rate of complications dropped dramatically when women were made to labor w/o interventions. some of the things in a hospital birth that women need saving from were man made in the hospital.

Beth

Raidra
08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Obviously, everyone is entitled to her own opinion. I just wanted to offer up that I don't think the choice to homebirth is just about the birth experience whatsoever. The reason that healthy, uncomplicated pregnancies can be delivered safely at home from a statistical standpoint is that hospitals have their own risks. The cascade of interventions that often leads to c/s poses very real risks to a baby (including death) as well. Yes, there are different risks to homebirth and a hospital birth, but I think the suggestion that moms choose to homebirth for the birth experience above their child's safety is unnecessarily accusatory. JMO. The moms I know choose to homebirth because their research leads them to believe it is safer, or at the very least, equally safe.

I totally agree, you said it perfectly. It's very judgemental and inaccurate to say that women choose homebirth for selfish reasons. My initial reason for looking into it was the convenience aspect, but (obviously) I wouldn't have decided to plan a homebirth if I felt it was unsafe. As I read and educated myself, I learned that in many cases, homebirth is safer than hospital birth. There are different sets of risks for homebirth and hospital birth, but I feel strongly that had my youngest been born in the hospital, I would have ended up with an unnecessary c-section. Being at home enabled me to stay off the clock and to do exercises that brought the baby into the right position. If I had gone into the hospital when labor started, they would have broken my water, I wouldn't have met the 24 hour deadline, and they would have cut my baby out of me.. and none of that would have been necessary. And who knows what side effects and trauma could have occurred with that set of interventions.

There are many, many times that swift medical attention is needed in the hospital because of decisions OBs make for their patients, where if the patient had been left alone, everything would have turned out fine. Not saying that this is your case, but it does happen.

Obviously, the hospital and obstetrics has its place, and we're very lucky that women and babies who need that type of care have access. But by default, it isn't necessarily the best (safest, healthiest) option.

m448
08-02-2008, 10:34 AM
agreed Pushed is a must read and once you reach the end when it speaks of real life cases where women have been forced against their wishes (and their consent!) to hospital procedures it will curl your toes. In no other medical specialty is this allowed. Doctors pushing procedures on patients purely for liability issues.

A woman arriving to the hospital with the baby ready to push and the nurses gassing her to take her into surgery for a repeat C while she and her husband both clearly said they did not consent. This wasn't ten years ago, this was just a couple of years ago.

chlobo
08-02-2008, 11:11 AM
I had a homebirth. I know 3 other women (2 in my town) who had homebirths, one that last 5 days. And I know another woman, also in my town, who is planning a homebirth. 4 of us used the same midwife.

jk3
08-02-2008, 12:22 PM

One can find research to support any stance as I'm sure you are well aware. I was speaking from personal experience. Without swift medical intervention, my 2nd child would not have made it. There can be cord issues and lots of potential complications for the mother. Personally, I'd rather run the risk of a c-section than have to live with the guilt if something happened to my child.

MommyAllison
08-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I have two good friends who homebirth. One has two children - the first, they ended up transferring because the mw heard two heart tones during labor and they had not had an ultrasound so wanted to see if there were twins (she had already been in labor for over 24 hours at home). Their baby (no twins) coded at birth in the hosp and had to go to the nicu. Their second baby was a totally uncomplicated homebirth. The other mama homebirthed her first baby (no complications and she loved it!) and is planning her second hb for next spring.

Personally, I'd love to hb. Like Beth, my labor with DS was 3 hrs and I barely made it to the hospital (had a cnm there), and going through transition in the car (30 min drive to the hosp) was laaaame. I would so have preferred to finish my labor and deliver at home. Unfortunately, DH is totally opposed to us having a hb, and I don't know if he'll change his mind if we have more kids.

ETA: Hb also appeals to me because we were treated very poorly after DS was born by the staff nicu pedi and nurses at the hosp. We don't know really why, our only guess is because we had some "abnormal" choices - like no hepB, no circ, we did the bath, used our own clothing and cloth diapers, etc etc. We had to fight hard to get DS released at 30 hours (he was perfectly healthy, but the staff pedi wanted babies to stay for minimum of 48) and it was an all around horrible experience. They did not even check on DS or I from hours 6-13 post-partum, we were told they were required by law to perform an exam on DS by 24 hours, but they didn't, etc. I REALLY don't want to go back to the hospital. Our midwife (whom we love) also is retiring this year from births, so I don't have any reason to go back to the hospital. Both of my births have been uncomplicated and mostly free of intervention (other than an episiotomy with DD), so I feel very comfortable with homebirth.

o_mom
08-02-2008, 01:33 PM
One can find research to support any stance as I'm sure you are well aware. I was speaking from personal experience. Without swift medical intervention, my 2nd child would not have made it. There can be cord issues and lots of potential complications for the mother. Personally, I'd rather run the risk of a c-section than have to live with the guilt if something happened to my child.

When one of the top peer-reviewed medical journals comes out and says homebirth is a safe option, it is not cherry-picking the research to find what you want. There can be complications in a hospital just as at a homebirth and most of them can be taken care of equally in either setting. Your personal experience, whatever it was, does not mean that someone choosing homebirth is irresponsible.

brittone2
08-02-2008, 04:04 PM
:yeahthat: to O_mom's post. The risks of CS are very real to both mother and baby, and that doesn't even take into account a discussion of the risks of the followup CSs that mother will likely endure with future pregnancies since many moms can't even find a provider that will do a vbac. Babies can suffer major respiratory issues from CS. Future pregnancies may be at risk of rupture. It isn't as simple for everyone as technology saves lives. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.

It doesn't take cherry picking research to find support for the safety of homebirth in uncomplicated, healthy pregnancies. One does have to weed out the studies that choose to include unplanned homebirths (where mom accidentally has the baby at home, unplanned, without medical assistance or equipment of any type). Sometimes those births conveniently get rolled into studies on "homebirthing" when they don't accurately reflect a *planned* homebirth.

LGMmomma
08-07-2008, 02:34 AM
I also agree that the book Pushed by Jennifer Block is a "must read." I read it this summer and loved it! I also LOVED the Ricki Lake documentary "The Business of Being Born" and would recommend it to any person ever planning to have children (either now or in the future). I bought the DVD the day it came out and have shown it to 5 of my friends already (and they all loved it as well). In the spring, Ricki Lake is coming out with a book and an educational dvd on how to plan and have a natural birth. I can't wait for that either.

kijip
08-07-2008, 02:49 AM

On the flip side, my hospital experience led to serious complications for me and my first baby that would have most likely been avoidable at home or a birth center and that subsequently likely negatively affected my fertility and is impacting my second baby's birth. It's no fairer of me to say that my experience means hospital birth is irresponsible than for you to say the reverse. Good midwifes can help detect emergency situations and arrange swift transfer, including for an emergency c-section, if needed in most cities. I know a woman that needed a transfer and got the services she needed right on entering the hospital because the midwife arranged it ahead and they were ready for her. It was about as much time in transport as it would have been waiting for them to get ready.

I am delivering at a hospital this time where nearly all births are handled by midwifes and the c-section rate is 12%. I will have a separate from the bathroom labor tub and they have a number of other policies that resemble a birth center vs a hospital. This place is not on my insurance for other procedures but because of their great c-sec rate, most insurers here will cover births there. I made this choice because I love the midwife I am seeing who delivers there (she is in private practice and not employed by an OB or hospital) and because my previous c-section limits my easily available options.

Wife_and_mommy
08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
On the flip side, my hospital experience led to serious complications for me and my first baby that would have most likely been avoidable at home or a birth center and that subsequently likely negatively affected my fertility and is impacting my second baby's birth. It's no fairer of me to say that my experience means hospital birth is irresponsible than for you to say the reverse. Good midwifes can help detect emergency situations and arrange swift transfer, including for an emergency c-section, if needed in most cities. I know a woman that needed a transfer and got the services she needed right on entering the hospital because the midwife arranged it ahead and they were ready for her. It was about as much time in transport as it would have been waiting for them to get ready.

I am delivering at a hospital this time where nearly all births are handled by midwifes and the c-section rate is 12%. I will have a separate from the bathroom labor tub and they have a number of other policies that resemble a birth center vs a hospital. This place is not on my insurance for other procedures but because of their great c-sec rate, most insurers here will cover births there. I made this choice because I love the midwife I am seeing who delivers there (she is in private practice and not employed by an OB or hospital) and because my previous c-section limits my easily available options.

Katie,

That is so awesome. I'm ecstatic for your opportunity at the kind of birth you want to have.

jk,

I had a very similar experience with my first birth. In retrospect, I wish I'd gone home to wait for labor after ruptured membranes (even if it took a few days) but to go to a hospital to be abused by an OB isn't my dream of a good birth. My DD and I were perfectly safe throughout the process so having to claw (figuratively) for fewer interventions is ludicrous. I have heard of many others in a similar birth situation that choose a section. I shouldn't have to go to a freestanding birth center to avoid abuse for my birth choices but that's partly why I and many others do.