PDA

View Full Version : My (long) choking in the car nightmare

Thatchermom
08-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Last night was a parent's worst nightmare for me!

We were out late at a work event for DH, driving home in separate cars. DS and DD were strapped into the backseat of the van, DD had been crying on and off since it was late and she was tired and hungry. DS asked if he could try giving her some snacks, and he could reach her little puffs so I said okay.

It was dark, raining hard, and we were on a very busy freeway in Seattle when I heard the unmistakable sound of DD choking in the back, and I couldn't reach her or pull over! DS immediately knew what was going on, but not anything to do about it and was screaming and crying and really hysterical. I finally found a wide spot in a median (felt like an hour but was probably less than a minute) and pulled in and jumped out, half in traffic, to yank DD from her seat and try to remember my first aid/choking stuff. A few good whacks to her back and she threw up all over both of us - but was breathing again.

I think the hardest thing I've ever had to do was immediately put her back in her seat so I could get us out of that spot to somewhere safer but we were getting soaked and cars were honking all around us. It felt like it just went against all things mama to let go of her immediately. We found an exit while trying to call DH and pulled into a parking lot, where I had both hysterical kids in my lap when DH climbed into the van with us.

I don't think I will ever forget the sound of DS sobbing telling his dad how scared he was that his little sister was going to die and how much he loved her - and the worst part - that he felt like it was all his fault. We stayed there until the kids were calm, then left DH's car and went home all together with DH in the back seat where he could be with DD.

Everyone is tired but okay, and DH and are rethinking our whole snacks-in-the-car approach to life. And hugging DD just a little longer today. We spend a LOT of time in the car, and have a six-hour road trip coming up next week where I'll be on my own with the kids again. Snacks have always been a major part of our "make it work" arsenal, but now I just don't know. What do you all do? Was this an isolated freakish event or have we been too lax with food safety in the car? It's hard to think rationally with the echoes of last night ringing in my ears...

citymama
08-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Wow, that is incredibly scary. Sounds like you handled it amazingly well - all of it, including putting her back in the car seat after the crisis had been averted. It is a sobering story about snacks in the car - we never used to do it, but have gotten more lax about it. Thanks for sharing, and glad your DD is absolutely OK.

o_mom
08-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Oh, how scary! I'm glad you were able to remember everything and get her to safety.

I'm not sure what to tell you about snacks in the car. DS1 and DS2 get snacks in the car, but they are older and it is not an everyday thing. Usually only when we are travelling. DS3 doesn't get anything in the car yet. I think the other two were close to 2 yrs before I gave them anything in the car.

maestramommy
08-01-2008, 05:18 PM
:hug::hug: to you and your family! Sounds very scary, but you handled it so well. About the snacks thing, Dora gets snacks, but Arwyn doesn't, mostly because I can't trust her not to make a huge mess, and she doesn't know how to use a snack trap yet. If you can, maybe wait until Ava is older? I don't think I let Dora have snacks in the car until she was well over one. But everyone has their own age limit, I know there's no hard and fast rule.

bubbaray
08-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Oh my -- how scary for all of you! I'm so glad everything turned out OK. Hugs!

elizabethkott
08-01-2008, 05:28 PM
Oh my goodness. How horribly scary for you and your poor DS!!!
I have to admit it that yes, we do give J snacks in the car. Usually it's only on long car trips and when there are two adults present. However, after our last experience of driving up to Boston, giving DS goldfish, and having him feed them to the poor stupid dog who doesn't remember that she gets carsick when she eats in a moving vehicle, and then having the poor dog puke goldfish all over the backseat of the car that I had JUST cleaned, and then having me franticly trying to sop up dog puke with a spare 'sposie (you'd be surprised at how well that works, BTW!)... we won't be giving him snackies in the car when we go up to the Cape with the dog.
But your story is a really sobering check. I'm so sorry that it happened to you, but so glad that you shared your experience with us.

kijip
08-01-2008, 07:44 PM
OMG. How scary! I have BTDT with choking in the car but not on a wet freeway. It was raining REALLY hard in Seattle last night, too and I know how bad our freeways get when raining (seems odd, since you'd think people who live in Seattle would be adept at driving in the rain!) I am sooo glad you are all ok. :) Big hugs to you and your whole family.

elektra
08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Big Hugs to all of you!

mudder17
08-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Susan, how scary for you all! You reacted amazingly well in that situation and I'm just glad she's okay! Our girls get snacks in the car too, but they didn't until they were older and I knew they could handle the foods I gave them. But I will definitely be thinking about what kinds of snacks I give them in the car. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

SnuggleBuggles
08-01-2008, 09:19 PM
How scary!!! I am so glad that everything was ok!

Beth

mecawa
08-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Wow!!! That was so scary, I can't even imagine. I do allow DD to have snacks in the car on long road trips. We take a lot of 4-5 hour trips down I-95 to visit family, but your story has me rethinking the whole snack thing. Thank goodness everyone is alright.

DrSally
08-01-2008, 11:42 PM
OMG, Your story brought tears to my eyes. I can feel your panic! You totally rose to the occassion and were able to get to a place where you could help her. I am so in awe, given the dark and the weather and the panic, I don't know if I could've had my head about me to get over to the median. Thank God you did it! I can feel how shaken you and Ds and your whole family were, it sounds so traumatic! I'm so happy everyone's ok. Breathe a sign of relief. We all give snacks in the car. It really makes me want to rethink that...

WatchingThemGrow
08-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Wow. You rose to the occasion. I can't imagine handling things that well. Totally never crossed my mind that could happen.

Mamma2004
08-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Huge hugs to you, Susan!

You handled it *beautifully*, with more courage and composure than many of us might have managed. I am so thankful that everyone is okay!!!

brittone2
08-02-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm so glad that everyone is okay. HOw scary! :hug:

This is one of those scenarios that I am always a bit scared of after reading the story from a mom here about her child's preschool friend dying from choking in the backseat. I always feel a tad uneasy about snacks in the car as a result, but we still give them. I have tried to justify it to myself by saying that my 4.5 year old would let me know if something was wrong and I could pull over rapidly. Your story was a major reminder that that isn't always possible.

You were one brave (and effective!) mama!

casey0729
08-02-2008, 01:32 PM
I agree with pps, you were awesome! I can't imagine what you went through.

I give DS snacks in the car but not DD unless I am sitting back there with her and DH is driving. I am rethinking the whole thing now too!

MommyAllison
08-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Yikes, that has been a fear of mine too! I, too, have been more lax about giving DD snacks in the car as she's gotten older. I think we'll have to restrict that to long car trips when DH and I are both in the car (which is only once or twice a year anyway). Thank you for sharing, and I am so glad she is ok!!

kozachka
08-02-2008, 02:16 PM
What a scary accident! I am glad everything and everybody ended up fine. And I am not sure if I would have the presence of mind to handle it as well as you did. Lots of :22: .

vonfirmath
08-03-2008, 01:58 AM
We don't give snacks in the car. When we went on the Memorial Day Trip, we pulled over and fed him when he got hungry (which meant pulling off at a exit with NO amenities once because he was unconsolable crying) but somewhere I remember reading not to feed them in the car seats, so I don't.

This also reminds me we had an older fellow in our church who almost died choking on a McDonald's french fry he ate while driving. Luckily, he hit something, was thrown forward onto the steering wheel, and that force dislodged the french fry. But it can be dangerous even for adults...