PDA

View Full Version : Experience with anxiety/depression?

kellij
08-01-2008, 11:11 PM
My mom had some weird health issues earlier this year. Like burning tongue syndrome and then she just had some gastrointestinal issues and some weird shoulder pain.

Since they couldn't figure out why her tongue was numb it totally stressed her out. I think it's substantially better at this point. However, she has had some numbness in other locations and that is stressing her out. She went to a dr. Monday and he told her that he thought it was anxiety and prescribed Paxil. Not fully convinced that he knew what he was talking about, she went to see a different dr. on Wednesday. He concurred. He gave her some other drug to kick in immediately since Paxil has to build up.

Now she's basically not eating much (and wonders why she's weak) and she's really run down, tired.

I'm not sure how to help. There is always the chance that she has a physical ailment that they are missing. But I don't know what to do. Like if it's best to try to get her to be active (it seems like working out cheers people up) or if it's best to let her lay down a lot. Or what?

Any ideas, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelli

Tondi G
08-01-2008, 11:18 PM
My experience with anxiety attacks was Post Partum but I'll tell you, I was SO tired from the meds I was prescribed... it will take a good month till her energy level comes back up and then even longer to be full strength again! I was feeling totally queezy and had tummy issues from the anxiety as well and my appetite took a little while to come back again too. Everyone kept saying when you feel anxious why don't you get up and take a walk outside in the fresh air try to get your heart rate up a little.... All I wanted to do was sit/lay down at that point! It takes a while for the meds to get into your system and for your body to adjust to having them in your system! Hang in there, I hope the meds do the trick for her!

lizajane
08-02-2008, 01:01 PM
My mom had some weird health issues earlier this year. Like burning tongue syndrome and then she just had some gastrointestinal issues and some weird shoulder pain.

Since they couldn't figure out why her tongue was numb it totally stressed her out. I think it's substantially better at this point. However, she has had some numbness in other locations and that is stressing her out. She went to a dr. Monday and he told her that he thought it was anxiety and prescribed Paxil. Not fully convinced that he knew what he was talking about, she went to see a different dr. on Wednesday. He concurred. He gave her some other drug to kick in immediately since Paxil has to build up.

Now she's basically not eating much (and wonders why she's weak) and she's really run down, tired.

I'm not sure how to help. There is always the chance that she has a physical ailment that they are missing. But I don't know what to do. Like if it's best to try to get her to be active (it seems like working out cheers people up) or if it's best to let her lay down a lot. Or what?

Any ideas, thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kelli

get a second opinion!!!

and just keep her engaged in conversation if not activity. maybe doing something together and then giving her the opportunity to rest afterwards.

but find another doc about the numbness. definitely.

jake's daddy
08-02-2008, 01:05 PM
I would first rule out medical causes (especially in light of her previous symptoms). Blood work might be necessary...

If she is medically "clear", then I would consult with a psychiatrist or psychologist. Cognitive-behavioral therapy is an empirically supported treatment for depression and anxiety. This is a specific type of therapy that is more directive than traditional psychodynamic/supportive therapy, and includes direct skill instruction and psychoeducation (thoughts-->feelings and behaviors). Medical treatment stops working as soon as you stop taking the medicine...good therapy lasts beyond treatment...

The Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (ABCT) is a great resource: http://www.aabt.org/public/?fa=aboutBCT

Hope this helps
JD

tarabenet
08-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Always worth getting a second (or third) opinion. But in the interest of you being able to be as supportive and helpful as you clearly mean to be, I'd like to point out that depression *is* a physical ailment, as is anxiety. It involves a chemical imbalance and it takes a toll on all physical functions. Even if it is "only depression", it is very very real. No one talks to a diabetic like they are imagining their chemical imbalance, nor do we ever try to convince them that taking the appropriate medication is somehow weak.

I do not in any way mean to imply that this is what you have said or how you view her problems! I'm just urging you to be aware of the mindset that she may well come up against. I've battled depression since adolescence, and managed it for the past 15 years or so. Getting past the "oh, snap out of it" attitue some people have was a huge hurdle for me in getting to the "managing it" status.

Bet of luck to you and to your mom both. I hope whatever is causing her problems, she sees relief soon!