PDA

View Full Version : Dryer Dilema

notasherpa
08-02-2008, 12:29 AM
Please help me make a decision on a new dryer. The details:

My washing machine needed extensive repairs this week, so I decided to replace it. I got a lovely front loading HE 5 (Kenmore) from Sears - it is Pacific Blue and it came with a pedestal for $850. It was a model closeout clearance - and only the washer was available. I love it and I could launder for the neighborhood.

Now - well I'm feeling the draw to replace my 10 yr. old Kenmore with the HE5 dryer. My dryer works fine, but the HE5 is so much more efficient and quieter. I stopped into the Sears Clearance store tonight and there is a clearance sale on HE5 for $500. The gas dryers, which is what I'm set up for, are in white only. There was a Pacific Blue which matches my washer in electric, however this would require some electrical work to set up on my laundry room.

So what would you do:

A. Jump on the white dryer and live with two different colored appliances next to each other. Our laundry room is on the lower level of a rambler and I use it as a craft room. The dryer would not be on a pedestal, but I'm ok w/ this because it gives be easier access to the cabinet above.

B. Convert to electric and get a matched set. I've called my electrician and am waiting to hear from him. This is probably my preferred option, but I don't want to pay more than $200 for the electrical work. I'm not sure if there is a significant economic difference between gas/electric - and am guessing that a more energy efficient dryer, coupled with the fact the washer will spin out so much water make this point not so critical.

C. Walk away and live with the dryer I have until it needs to be replaced. It is 10 yrs. old, I have 4 busy children and do alot of laundry. If I replace the machine, I would then sell the old one on Craig's List.

So......what would you do? Also - if anyone can comment on their HE 5 dryer, I'd love to know how it works (it has great review on CR).

Thank you for reading this far and for your help.

Becky

JTsMom
08-02-2008, 09:22 AM
If I'm understanding correctly, they sell the matching dryer for gas, in blue, just not at the clearance center, right? What's the price difference?

SnuggleBuggles
08-02-2008, 10:19 AM
Do you have the matching washing machine? If not, how do the load capabilities match up? It's annoying to have a big discrepancy though usually more so if the washer can hold a lot more than the dryer, other way isn't a huge deal.

I tend not to replace things unless I need to so I would probably hold off. If I really thought there would be good gains to buying new then I would go for the mismatched deal. It's just a laundry/ craft room. Find accessories that tie in the 2 and call it a day. :)

Beth

notasherpa
08-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Oops, maybe I didn't make myself very clear in my original post:

I just got the Kenmore HE 5 front load washer - (large capacity) at Sears. It is in the Pacific Blue color and it was a great price ($850 down from $1300) as this model is now closed out.

I don't need (because my drier of 10 years still works) the HE5 dryer - it is the mate to the washing machine. I found a deal for $500 at a Sears clearance store - the machine retails for $1200 but it is now closed out.

The dilema - I need a gas dryer - the only models available in gas are white and my washer is blue. I could get the matching blue dryer, but it would be an electric dryer, meaning I'd need some electrical work done to convert over.
The dryers are both at a clearance center as they are no longer in stores and both electric and gas are $500

So....should I go for the mismatch because this is such a great deal and my machines are downstairs and out of site, change over to the electric, or walk away. My dryer may have miles left on it, but the HE5 dryer is so much quieter and efficient and it highly rated by Consumer Reports. Also, because the model is discontinued I may never have a chance in the future to get my machines for the same model.

Buying something I don't truly need is quite contrary to my nature, but wow - I am a bargain hunter through and through and this is a bargain

Thanks for your help.

Becky

caheinz
08-02-2008, 12:13 PM
The right answer might depend on where you live. In some areas, natural gas tends to be cheaper than electricity, while in others, the relationship is flipped. (Either that or the relative pricing flipped in sync with me moving around!) So, try to check the energy use. If you kept the energy guide from the old dryer (or can find one online, maybe?), compare it to the ones on the HE5 dryers (electric and gas).

Since it's a long-term investment, you should look for reasons other than price to buy. The HE5 has a huge capacity -- you can fill a front-loader way more than you can a top-loader. Can you fit an entire HE5's washing load into your current dryer? Also -- how's the drying time? If you could spend less time doing laundry with a new dryer, that would be another benefit.

The colors seem like a cosmetic thing. Are you likely to sell the house anytime soon? Is it something that would really bother you? (If gas were more efficient, I'd ignore the color difference!)

If your dryer is ten years old, it probably doesn't have a lot of life left... You will have to get a new one some day.

JTsMom
08-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I don't think the electric work will cost more than $200, but I'm just guessing. I'd probably go for it for a couple of reasons. The 2 not matching, as silly as it sounds, would irk me for the next 5-10 years (or however long they last). Also, depending on where you live, W&D are sometimes included in home sales. If that's the case where you are, it would probably look more attractive if you ever sell your home.

First I'd look into the energy cost of running both, just to be sure it's not a significant difference. Can they hold the dryer for you for a few days so you can research? Is everything at the outlet under full warranty? Is there a really similar model that you could choose if this doesn't work out? I think Whirlpool and Kenmore are made by the same company, right?

I think you just need to ask yourself how much it would bug you to have them not match, and what you would buy if you actually needed a new dryer- would you go for the higher end, or budget? If you'd go high end anyway, I'd jump on this deal.

One more ETA- I just asked DH how much he thought it would cost, and he thinks it would be way more than $200 to do the conversion, depending on what your house is wired for (or something like that, I didn't really understand- lol). If that was the case, I'd just deal with what I have now until I had to replace it.
ETA: Also, are there any other outlets near you? Maybe someone has another one that is gas?

bubbaray
08-02-2008, 12:22 PM
Are you sure that there isn't an existing 220/240V electrical outlet for the dryer? IME, if the gas hookup is there, there is also the electric outlet too.

FWIW, I would get the matching blue dryer, even if it meant converting to electric. The non-matching set would drive me mental. However, my laundry room is on the main floor and if I don't shut the door (I usually don't), the w/d are completely visible when guests (or we) come in the house.

ETA: I just asked my DH about the cost for the new 220/240V outlet. He said assuming that you have 220/240 service in your house (most do), and the electrician ran it from the box, it would depend on how far they had to run the wire. His ballpark guess for our house (box in the basement, laundry on the main floor) was $200. YMMV

WatchingThemGrow
08-02-2008, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't be able to take the mismatching or old/new thing, but that's just me. I'd tell them to put a HOLD on the dryer until you find out from the electrician. You have 4 kids? Seems like you'd want a place you spend a lot of time in to be peaceful and coordinated. You don't need another thing that irks you.

kozachka
08-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I'd get a matching drier but I would try to call get a gas one if at all possible by calling other Sears clearance stores.

anamika
08-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Oddly we are just going through this. I personally could care less about the dryer and washer matching colors but I was wondering about the resale value. From responses here looks like most people would have trouble buying a set that didn't match. We might have to go for the higher priced different colored washer just so it matches with our existing dryer!

niccig
08-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I would spend a day calling around other outlet stores to see if you can find a gas one in the blue. You said the model is discontinued, so there maybe others out there.

notasherpa
08-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your ideas and help.

I decided that although I loved the idea of getting a dryer in the same model as the washer, the color issue was more bothersome. With this decided, if I was going to get a dryer in the same color, I had to do it now as the color has been discontinued by Sears and I called many stores today and there only a few odd color matcheddryers here and there.

I did go back to the outlet store and found my second choice of dryer in gas and in the matching blue. It is a huge step up from my current dryer and is a Kenmore (Oasis line, rather than an HE5). It is also highly rated by consumer reports and met all my other criteria. We are getting it on Tues.

Also - for inquiring minds, I spoke w/ my electrician, and the cost to wire my laundry room to 220 v would be around $400 (note this was a phone quote, but the electrician knows my house well). The laundry room is a long way from the power panel and the way the copper line would run would be tricky. In addition, the cost of copper wire has increased in price significantly. I'm happy to stay w / gas as I've always used a gas dryer.

Finally, I'm a big believer in asking for the best price, and in both stores where I purchased appliances (Sears Retail & Sears Outlet) I got a better deal by asking the sales person and manager for a better offer than the listed price. I let them know I was prepared to buy today and even the appliances were on sale, I wanted an additional discount. It worked in both cases, so don't be afraid to ask.

Thanks again - can't wait to do more laundry (ha ha).

Becky

kijip
08-03-2008, 12:10 AM
It occurs to me that since the dryer is discontinued, I'd get it now. Otherwise when your dryer does break, you will have to buy a mismatched dryer. A dryer that would last longer than the new washer you have. Leading you to need to buy a different washer that does not match the dryer. This would cycle back and forth from new washer to new dryer for as long as you are washing your own clothes. So you would spend the rest of your life with mismatched sets as one wore out quicker than the other. Now that would not bug everyone, but since it does bug you, I'd snap up the matching one now. Especially since if the dryer only lasts a bit longer, you will be kicking yourself for not getting the close out deal when you can. I'd only get it if you have the $$ however- don't cause a financial stress over a matching dryer!