PDA

View Full Version : Post-partum hair loss

ellies mom
08-02-2008, 01:14 PM
I'm going to be flippin' bald by the time it is over. I spend half the shower kicking hair out of the drain. Enough already.

casey0729
08-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I hear ya. I wish it would fall out of the places I actually want to get rid of it!

cono0507
08-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Amen. And personally, I loved the combination of receeding hairline and post partum acne. Lovely.

MommyAllison
08-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, I'm there too. It's just lovely.

mommyp
08-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Also right there with you. I'm hoping it's going to end soon!

bluestarfish18
08-02-2008, 11:33 PM
Ugh! I feel like there's a scary forest growing in my drain! Even though I'm preganant again, the let's-keep-all-the-hair-on-the-head genes haven't kicked in yet :(

My next option is to beat mother nature and just shave my head a la Britney.

Although....I have noticed that my bikini line has been nice and pretty neat since the hair loss senario:jammin:

kijip
08-03-2008, 01:21 AM
Ugh, I had the thickest, shiniest hair before T. I was often asked if I used extensions, it took a FAT hair band to make a ponytail...now I can make a ponytail with a doubled over small hair band. It's kind of depressing. :hug: I lost way more than I did not shed during pregnancy. Well, if we go bald together we can share scarf tips. :)

GlindaGoodWitch
08-03-2008, 02:19 PM
I hear there are some really good wigs out there.

Aaaaand I only know this because I had super thin hair BEFORE I had my kids. I now am well on my way to being bald, so much so that DH has started calling me V'Ger (bald girl from that old Star Trek movie).

I have tried every thickening agent on the market including Nioxin and nothing works. Save your money!

Melaine
08-03-2008, 02:47 PM
:cry: I had a HUGE amount of hair fall out PP. Be careful that none of it gets near your baby. This is so crazy, but one of my hairs got twisted around DD toe really tightly and actually dug through her skin, partially cutting off the circulation. Because she was wearing socks, we didn't see and I don't know how long it had been red and irritated before we saw it. It was very difficult to get it off and I felt so awful for my baby! I was shocked to learn that this isn't uncommon and is in fact called Toe Tourniquet Sydrome. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/111/3/685
DD was fine but I will never forget how my annoying long hair hurt her!

maestramommy
08-03-2008, 04:26 PM
:hug: I remember going through that after Dora was born. I totally freaked out before I found out it was normal. Still it was pretty scary to see all that hair tangled up in the drain.

mamaoftwins
08-03-2008, 05:41 PM
:cry: I had a HUGE amount of hair fall out PP. Be careful that none of it gets near your baby. This is so crazy, but one of my hairs got twisted around DD toe really tightly and actually dug through her skin, partially cutting off the circulation. Because she was wearing socks, we didn't see and I don't know how long it had been red and irritated before we saw it. It was very difficult to get it off and I felt so awful for my baby! I was shocked to learn that this isn't uncommon and is in fact called Toe Tourniquet Sydrome. http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/111/3/685
DD was fine but I will never forget how my annoying long hair hurt her!

Yep, do be careful - that exact same thing happened to my best friend and her DS.

Mine finally stopped falling out at 6mo post-partum. It was awful - bad in the shower, but worse in the rest of the house. I had to sweep sometimes several times a day b/c I kept finding piles of it in the corners. Yuck. But ... now my hair has a nice wave to it, after being stick straight pre-preg. So that's a good thing! ;)

elizabethkott
08-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Mine is STILL falling out. Granted, it's from hypothyroidism and the fact that they haven't really gotten me up to the right dosage on my meds yet...
So if it keeps up for a truly long period of time, go to your doctor and have yourself screened for thyroid disorder... you never know!

cairo06
08-04-2008, 03:31 AM
I want to second the pp. I suffered from postpartum hypothyroiditis after both pregnancies. So go to the doctor if you are having any other symptoms. My hair has never been the same again.

elephantmeg
08-04-2008, 09:12 AM
I'm there too-never had it with ds but whoah! I don't know who sheds worse-me or the dog!

Twoboos
08-04-2008, 09:18 AM
I remember the days... DH used to ask why there was a mouse in the shower drain each day. It really was that bad...

lovin2shop
08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm still shedding a ton. I have extremely thick hair, so aside from the mess, I don't mind the thinning. Except that it is way more prominent in the front on the sides, so I look like I have an old man receding hair line when wairing my hair back. My stylist did help me out with one product, a spray on dry hair shampoo. I can't remember the brand right now, but it is a colored dry powder that you brush out. The powder covers my scalp and you can't see the bald spots. I have very dark brown hair, so the color match is easy, it might be more difficult if you are blonde. It helps with the greasies too, but it can be a little messy getting it on and it did spot one of my blouses. But, I'm happy to be able to wear my hair up, especially in this heat!

newbiemom
08-04-2008, 09:52 PM
My hair has just started falling out all over the place. DC #1 & 2 keep finding strands among their toys and then bringing it to me (too bad I can't glue or tape the strands back on!)