PDA

View Full Version : What's a good minivan that isn't a Honda or Toyota?

wellyes
08-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Well, we've reached that point in our family life that it's time for a minivan. I'm *clueless* about these, I haven't had reason to pay attention to them before! I'd love some advice.

I'll be buying used (maybe 5 years old). I know that Honda and Toyota make excellent minivans, but all vehicles by those companies retain their value so well that I doubt I could get a great deal.

I honestly don't drive much - I take public transportation to work. I don't need the best minivan, just a sturdy reliable one. Hopefully one that's pretty popular so I can find used ones pretty readily. What do you think?

StantonHyde
08-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Check out Consumer Reports reliability data. You can check out a copy of their April magazine at the library or you can look it up on line for a fee. It also has safet ratings and lots of other info to help you make your decision.

BillK
08-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Hyundai or Kia - or if you don't mind a "small" minivan - the Mazda MPV one.

GM minivans (Chevy/Pontiac/Buick/Olds) are not so hot - the tests are out there to prove it (and I'm a GM fan). I know there are those that love their Chrysler minivans - but I'm just not a Chrysler fan myself.

Resale-wise - you'll probably find the best deal on a Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge minivan as they traditionally have sucked for resale value - and are much better vans than their GM/Ford counterparts. In fact - you probably could go with a newer one than you think because of that.

Also - keep in mind - with the current state of gas in America (and the economy) - you just might get a much better deal on a Honda or Toyota minivan than you think you can - dealers are hating to have "big" vehicles hanging around on their lots right now - so if you're looking a larger vehicle and don't mind the gas - now's the time to be bargaining - imo.

KBecks
08-02-2008, 04:52 PM
I would look at Dodge / Chrysler. I liked the ones we test drove and they sell with lots of incentives and should depreciate well for buying used.

lisams
08-02-2008, 05:09 PM
My two cents:

Toyotas and Honda retain their value because they are so reliable and have excellent track records. I would suggest you look at Consumer Reports and compare minivans history of needing repairs, etc. If you get a van that is cheaper but needs major repairs every few months you really aren't saving that much (and having to go through the hassle of having your car in the shop is a huge PIA when you have kids, at least in my experience.)

Compare gas mileage as well, as the pp mentioned.

This might be a great time to buy a minivan - so many people are trading in their bigger cars for smaller sedans because of the price of gas.

Good luck!

lizajane
08-02-2008, 06:27 PM
i have a 1999 nissan quest minivan and i love it. sure, it is starting to have tiny problems... but only surface stuff and it does have 135,000 miles on it.

chinook
08-02-2008, 09:18 PM
We have a Mazda MPV (2002) and we've had ongoing problems with it so I wouldn't recommend one. I ditto the PP's - I'd go for a Honda or Toyota. Very much worth the $$. I REALLY wish we'd gotten one of those instead of the Mazda.

overcome
08-02-2008, 09:38 PM
This list from Consumer Reports should help you quite a bit. It lists best used cars according to their price category...
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/used-cars/cr-recommended/best-used-vehicles-under-20000-406/overview/index.htm

It should be free to view....
HTH

mom2binsd
08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
We have an 04 Mercury Monterey.it's the twin to the Ford Freestar....we love it...haven't had one problem...things I like- with the 3rd row in use there is still plenty of room in the storage area...we have two captains in the 2nd row with fold flat bench in the 3rd row...we have leather seats...the pedals go in and out which is great for shorties like me...anyway...we love it and it wasn't nearly as pricey as a Toyota or Honda...we just kinda of happened upon it one night..bought it without scouring all the reports (so unlike me)...and have been very happy.

LarsMal
08-02-2008, 10:12 PM
I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Nissan Quest! Never wanted one, and now I can't imagine life without it. Very roomy inside.

We have a 2007, though, and all of the models before that have a different panel than ours (the gear thing is in a unique place on the dash on the previous models). If you can get used to that, though, it's a great car!

kransden
08-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Also right now base minivans are going pretty cheap. You might be better off buying a new one of those with the cheap financing than buying a used model. Just a thought.

kijip
08-02-2008, 11:54 PM
A word of advice: the 3.8 engine that is in many of the Dodge/Plymouth/Crystler vans is the MAIN thing dragging down their reliability ratings (thus making their resale peanuts). According to my extraordinary mechanics they won't recommend anyone get a used D/P/C van with the 3.8 but if someone brings in the 3.3 liter engine one for pre purchase inspection and it checks out inside, they suggest it as a good value for the $$. Both my father and brother have 3.3s and they have been great, even though one is 9 years old and the other is 7 years old. The first Kia Sedona were very unrelaible, but they have become better. I asusme you are getting a used one since it is not a high use vehicle and it is the wisest way to buy a car. I'd suggest searching out an older 3.3 l d/p/c or a very old Honda or Sienna. Whatever you buy, either from a private seller or a dealer, INSIST on taking it to your mechanic for a careful prepurchase inspection.

I would avoid the GM and Ford minivans, as well as the first two model years of the Sedona.

kijip
08-02-2008, 11:59 PM
Also right now base minivans are going pretty cheap. You might be better off buying a new one of those with the cheap financing than buying a used model. Just a thought.

She indicated she wanted a 5 year old one...a 5 year old reliable used vehicle is going to be a lower cost option than a new one with the cheapest financing, especially if they can pay cash or just take a small personal loan after putting a lot of their own money in. I don't care how low the finance charge is, car payments are my own personal idea of hell. We bought our 2005 Camry with cash (well, a check from my bank) and it is a great feeling to have both a reliable car and one I actually own in full. All that car payment money goes to us now.

wellyes
08-03-2008, 05:39 PM
This has been so helpful, thanks guys.

Based on your advice (especially Bill's) today I test-drove a Kia Sedona and a Dodge Caravan. Minivans are fun! Better than I expected. The Kia had more bells and whistles but wasn't as well-designed.... worse visibility and much less storage space. The Caravan was pretty much exactly perfect for me. Special thanks to kijip for the note on the Caravan engine. I'm getting one soon and that's so helpful!

And I agree, car payments stink. I own my car outright now and am not looking forward to payments. I think it's so tricky how the car salesmen say "what do you want your payment to be" instead of asking how much TOTAL you can / will spend.

geochick
08-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Sounds like you've made up your mind, but you might want to read these reviews if you still have time:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/automotive/minivan-reviews/