PDA

View Full Version : Should you use a crib mobile to help a baby sleep?

eidean
08-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Hello,

I'm expecting my first baby on Election Day and I wondering what people thought about crib mobiles. When I started my registry I put several mobiles on it with the intention of reading the product reviews online to help me finalize my choice. However, when I looked at the reviews, pretty much every mobile I had looked at got mediocre to poor reviews. Almost everything was a wind-up model and people said those never lasted for more than a few minutes, certainly not time to put the baby to sleep. I started looking at battery powered mobiles although there don't seem to be too many choices. Then I started to wonder whether it mattered that they don't last long enough to put a baby to sleep, b/c I wondered whether putting them to sleep with a mobile was a good idea anyway.

What are people's thoughts? Should I get one that matches our jungle animal theme and only use it for occasional stimulation, or is it worth it to get one that lasts longer (regardless of whether I use it at bedtime?) Or are these things just a waste anyway?

Please help!

--Eileen

hez
08-02-2008, 05:46 PM
We have this one:

http://www.tinylove.com/toy.aspx?toyId=33

It's good for awake time-- DD'll fight sleep to watch it. We don't put her under it unless we don't need her to nap.

However, when she outgrows it as a mobile, we'll unscrew the music box & just play music. The music-only DID help DS nap when he was older.

emschwar
08-02-2008, 06:50 PM
We have this one: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266791

It really helps get DS to sleep. I put him in the crib, and turn it on, and it gives him something to look at as he drifts off. When he gets older, we can take the arm off and it'll stay on the crib for music.

Oh, and DS (10 months old, but he can't get himself to a sitting position yet, so I feel safe still having the mobile on the crib) knows how to turn it back on, and when he wakes up in the morning or after a nap, he rolls over until he can hit the buttons with his hands or feet and turns it on for entertainment!

MamaMolly
08-03-2008, 01:14 AM
I voted that they are awake toys because that's how we tended to use them. DD never drifted off but her Tinylove Sound in Motion kept her happy long enough for me to hop in the shower.
I bought mine used at a consignment shop, but for me it is one of the few (and I mean VERY few) thing I'd pay retail to have. And I'd upgrade to every bell and whistle feature they've got. If it has volume control, get it because mine was kind of loud IMO and I put tape over the speaker. And I saw that there was one with a remote control! Now that seemed a little over the top to me, but if it is included, hey, why not?

I heard about the Tinylove mobile here on the BBB and I have to agree it is soooo much better than the dumb Cocalo ducky thing I registered for at BRU. What did I know??? The ducky one was wind up and only lasted a few minutes and really didn't help hold DDs attention, but she LOVED the bright colors and rattling beads on the Tinylove. Just as the critter she was watching was rotating out of sight and she was thinking about fussing, *clickity-clackity* here comes another! They're all kind of off balance so they spin a little as the mobile comes around. DD loved it!

Not every baby likes a mobile, but if you are getting one anyway I'd go for the Tinylove. HTH

mom2binsd
08-03-2008, 01:22 AM
I wouldn't use one (and didn't) to put a baby to sleep...anytime you create a ritual that can't be duplicated away from home (daycare, on vacation etc) you're setting yourself up....plus they say not to use them once they can stand up so their lifespan is pretty short...instead invest in a white noise machine...we have a small one that is portable...it's great as it blocks out other noise...great for hotels, at home, etc....

kijip
08-03-2008, 04:38 AM
I don't really have an opinion as to should. I think that some are soothing, some are stimulating (which is a good thing for before they can hold toys). I think it is worth having one or two but it's optional, not something you need to put the baby to sleep.

SnuggleBuggles
08-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Dh and I have commented more than once in our parenting life that we were darned grateful to have our Tiny Love Symphony in Motion mobile. Best thing ever, imo.

Middle of the night, already fed/ changed/ attended to and still awake= mobile on, baby happy, baby goes to sleep.

During the day, mom needs to take a shower or go to the bathroom= mobile on, baby entertained.

I never got the anti-mobile camp. Then again I also have other kids of crib toys too. My ds's have been great about waking up and playing happily by themselves for quite a while. I think it is great that they can independently keep themselves happy.

The mobile has worked extremely well for our 2 kids. The music box was in use for ds1 for years. Neither have been dependent on it- it's just nice to have.

Beth

MommyAllison
08-03-2008, 07:44 PM
We didn't have one for DD, but we got the TinyLove Symphony in Motion mobile for DS and it is great. DS loves it, I love it - DH thinks it is ugly but likes it cause it works. :) DS loves it when he's awake, and he does also fall asleep to it when he's tired. I wish we had it for DD too - maybe then she would have actually liked her crib. As it was, the crib was still pretty much brand new when DS came along since DD only slept in it a handful of times.