PDA

View Full Version : Is a Volo for me?

scrooks
08-03-2008, 12:25 PM
I just started researching lighter weight smaller strollers and I have heard raves about the Maclaren Volo. Right now I have a Metrolite that I like pretty well but it takes up a lot of space and isn't super quick to open and close etc. I think I would still like to use my Metrolite for long mall trips and walks around the neighborhood etc. In addition I have 1 free umbrella stroller from BRU and one very inexpensive Jeep wrangler stoller- both of which I aren't great. My daughter just turned 1 and I think a decent umbrella stoller is in order. For anyone that has a Volo :
Do they like it?
Is it easy to use?
Does it take up a bunch of trunk space?
Is it ok for taller husbands to use without bumping their feet on the back?
Could it still work for shorter mall trips?

Does anyone have any other umbrella stoller suggestions for me?
I think this week there is a $20 off BRU coupon on strollers and I noticed online that the Volos are $99. If I can indeed use the coupon that would make the Volo about $80. Is this a good price?

MNmomtobe
08-03-2008, 01:21 PM
I would say $80 is a good deal on a new Volo.
I think whether or not a Volo would work depends on your child.
At 1 yr old, I don't think it would of worked for my DD only because we still needed a recline feature, which the Volo does not have. Some kids don't nap in their stroller so not an issue. I think some older kiddos nap fine without reclining though. I do think the child should be at least a yr old to comfortably use the Volo.

Have you tried the Quest? It is more $$ but has the recline feature and the footrest that might be more comfy for your 1 yr old. We have the Mac Ryder which is like the Quest but with suspension. DD is 2 and has been using it for about a year. We love it. We have a Volo too but haven't used it yet! Mostly because I hate being without the recline since on a rare occasion, DD will nap in her stroller. However, I do think she would be just fine in the Volo for short trips.

Oh, and the Macs do fold up pretty small (or thin) and the handles are taller so not much of an issue with kicking the wheels.

Trunk space, folds up small but on the long side so you may have to place in your trunk horizontally depending on what vehicle you have.

scrooks
08-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Yeah- the lack of recline is the one complaint most people have noted in reviews of the Volo. I haven't decided if that's a deal breaker yet....my daughter typically does not sleep in her stoller when we are out and about but then we rarely go on long outings...

bubbaray
08-03-2008, 02:08 PM
For short use (quick mall trip), I'd be fine using a Volo for a 12mo. You might want to try it out first IRL, Mac's have a bit of a sling-type seat, not all kids like them. My DD#1 d/n like them, she preferred being more upright. I'm debating whether to get a Volo for DD#2. At this point, DD#1 still likes to ride on the step of my P3, so that's my "light" stroller (its NOT light, LOL!).

lorinick
08-03-2008, 02:49 PM
I think the Mac Triumph is a better choice. Having the recline is really great. I have a 12mt old as well. I have the Mac Quest and I use it all the time. It's easy to use, folds great and the harness straps are so easy to use. It's very similar to the Triumph. I don't like the Volo because it has no recline and the seat doesn't look to be comfortable.

KBecks
08-03-2008, 03:04 PM
I have a Volo and like it. The only downside is it's a little tippy if you hang anything on the handles. The basket is fine for short mall trips. I think $80 is a good price. Good luck deciding!

scrooks
08-03-2008, 03:12 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions...I was looking at the Babies R Us website and saw that the Triumph and the Quest are priced very closely...does anyone know the major differences? Or have a strong preference of one over the other?

bubbaray
08-03-2008, 03:19 PM
The Quest has an extendable footrest that many people like. The Triumph also used to have a narrower seat, but I'm not sure if it still does. IIRC, the canopy, wheels and basket are the same.

pongstress
08-04-2008, 02:02 PM
http://www.babye-store.com/maclaren2.html

This place seems to have many color choices and good prices (Volo, Triumph, Quest). Of course if you buy from a local BRU you can exchange it if necessary...

keschy
08-05-2008, 04:06 PM
We have a volo and love it. It steers great. It is so light and takes up hardly any space in my Camry trunk. DS was a bit slumped over in the volo when he was younger but now that he's 2 it isn't an issue. It has a basket which many umbrella strollers don't have and we also have an organizer on ours that holds drinks and diapers too(bought it separately). We are going to get another maclaren for DH's car and might get a triumph this time. I have heard it reclines and is a little more supportive. I think $80 for a volo is a great deal.