PDA

View Full Version : Hypnobabies question

kijip
08-03-2008, 03:06 PM
So I have seen this raved about here. I am interested because of the positive reviews but am unsure as to if this will work for me. Maybe this is a silly question but I have never been able to be successfully hypnotized so I wonder if this is really a suitable course for me? I just don't respond to it in anyway. Hypnobabies sounds like this is more deep relaxation/meditation as it is described than hypnosis but if in order to be successful with it I need to learn to self hypnotize, I am skeptical that it is worth it for me. Thoughts?

nupe
08-03-2008, 03:11 PM
For me it was about very deep relaxation and focusing my thinking (as in meditation). That is my interpretation of "hypnosis."

BTW I did the home study course and one session with an instructor.

firstbaby
08-03-2008, 03:19 PM
I used Hypnobabies after reading the rave reviews about it on this site. It was amazing. I did the home study course and did not involve DH in any of the scripts, etc. I chose to do this because my labor experience with DS1 was not great - induced labor, epidural that only took on one side, etc. It was an amazing birth experience the second time around and makes me want another baby :) FWIW, I have never been hypnotized before, but approached it with an open mind and never felt hynotized or out of it during any of the practicing or birth experience. The nurse and OB kept asking me what miracle was on my ipod since I was so calm during labor. I got to the hospital at 8 cm dialated and DH was sure I was only going to be at 3 cm :) I would definitely recommend it.

o_mom
08-03-2008, 03:27 PM
I chose Hypnobirthing for my last pregnancy, but I think the same principles apply with Hypnobabies. I started it because my labor was so fast with DS2 (under 2 hrs) that I knew there was a good chance that I would not be able to have any pain meds, even if I decided to. DS2's labor was painful - I was begging for meds as we walked into the hospital only to find he was crowning. I am not one to go for alternative stuff in general, but I figured this was a no risk option. Worst case I was out $50 ($150-ish for Hypnobabies).

The preparation I did consisted mainly of listening to the CDs every night for about 8 weeks. I did it right before bed and would usually fall asleep to it. I never felt 'hypnotized', just really relaxed. I did have the best sleep of my pregnancy with it, though. When labor came with DS3 I listened to the CDs and just practiced the relaxation and breathing. I literally had no pain until I was pushing.

Self-hypnosis is not like the magic shows where they make people do things that they are unaware of. It is just a focused state of relaxation. Much of the pain of labor really comes from fighting what your body is doing. This helps you to relax completely and let your body work.

If I had to go back and do it again, I would probably get the Hypnobabies since it seems to have more variety. I also would have bought an iPod or MP3 player since toting a CD player around was annoying. I also would have made more effort to listen to the CD when I was up and around. I was used to listening to them laying down in bed and so that is where I was most comfortable for labor. Whenever I had to move it was harder to keep my focus.

o_mom
08-03-2008, 03:31 PM
The nurse and OB kept asking me what miracle was on my ipod since I was so calm during labor. I got to the hospital at 8 cm dialated and DH was sure I was only going to be at 3 cm :) I would definitely recommend it.

I had the same comments about what was on that CD player. :)

The biggest problem I found was that nobody was taking me seriously at the doctor's office or hospital because I wasn't screaming in pain. The NP at the doctor's office took her time getting in to check me so I sat for 30+ min in the office. When she checked I was 8-9 cm with bulging waters. Rushed me over to the hospital (in the connected building) only to have them start asking a bunch of questions and I was like "I'm about to have a baby, can't this wait?"

nupe
08-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I agree with your point about putting the CD scripts on an ipod.

And I did my hypnobabies on my own. I think DH read one script to me x 1.

brittone2
08-03-2008, 06:39 PM
I definitely think it is still worthwhile. I've never tried to be hypnotized in the "stage" versions you see, but I can guarantee you that I would never have done any weird behaviors while under hypnosis like stage hypnotists get people to do. In fact, during my whole (Mongan) hypnobirthing class, I kept thinking....ummm...is this working, because while I feel really relaxed, I don't feel *hypnotized*. That's all I really ever felt...nice and deeply relaxed. It was shard for me to believe it was going to work in some ways because I expected to feel hypnotized. BUt it worked beautifully in labor!

I used the CD w/ DS's birth in early 04, and an iPod with Hypnobabies loaded onto it for DD's birth. I didn't actually end up using it in labor this time, but that's how I practiced.

With both kids, I just did my own thing. DH went to class w/ me for the Mongan Hypnobirthing class, but in labor I was just in a zone both times, so he walked with me, etc. but otherwise left me alone, because that's what I wanted and that's what was working.

IMO a lot of Hypnobirthing/Hypnobabies is just really deep relaxation, learning to do some "fear clearing" surrounding birth (reflecting on your deepest concerns, worries, fears, the horror stories you hear) and learning ways to dump that out of your system (sounds a little crazy, but I do think it helped me). It focuses on how normal birth is, and learning to relax/let go.

Not sure if that helps. I agree w/ Omom...hypnobabies has more variety. I didn't mind Mongan, but the CD that comes w/ Hypnobirthing only has two scripts on it. If you want more variety, or you don't connect w/ those specific scripts, you can have your birth partner read different ones to you, or some people self-record, etc. My teacher from the Mongan class had her own recording studio and gave us an additional CD with a bunch of tracks she made of her reading alternative scripts. I used those during DS's birth and also practiced w/ them before DD's birth. I liked the variety, and found I connected more w/ certain scripts vs. others Some people find they end up just liking plain music once they master the technique of getting super relaxed and into hypnosis. Having options is nice.

I also ditto O_mom...with both pregnancies, people really didn't think I was that far in labor because I was able to talk, walk, etc. through contractions. After experiencing that w/ DS, I told my midwives that I wasn't sure my ability to talk/not talk on the phone during labor was going to be a good predictor of whether I should come in to the birth center. The midwife and I were kind of on the fence about whether I should come in, but I reminded her a bit that with DS, I was able to talk through everything, etc. When I showed up, she wasn't sure I was in active labor because I was relaxed etc. She checked me and I was a 10. I seriously had no idea at the time. So if your midwife hasn't worked w/ a lot of hypnobirthing moms you may want to give her a heads up that you've heard that sometimes the ability to talk through a contraction or not isn't a great predictor of how far along things are ;)

colleenfs
08-03-2008, 06:41 PM
I did a hypnobirth with my 2nd, and I LOVED it. I practiced my scripts nightly, and also listened to Enya and George Winston during labor. I was very relaxed, and my 2nd birth experience was so much better than my first. Emma was also so calm and content from the get-go. I wonder how much of that is related to my demeanour during childbirth.

JTsMom
08-03-2008, 07:19 PM
I took Mongan Hypnobithing classes. I agree with the pp's who have said it is more like a meditative, deep relaxation sensation. I think it put me in a really good mindset before the birth, but I never got to the stage where I wanted to use it during the birth (which ended w/ a C-section). I wanted to move, and I didn't feel like I could go into the deep relaxation while walking around and swaying and what-not. I wanted to save it until further along, when I didn't feel the need to be quite so active.

My labor was really slow, and it was really intense almost from the very begining. My water broke before the contractions started, and once they did come start, they were strong.

I was doing great- totally in the zone, until I agreed to do a 15 minute EFM strip, which I had to lie down for. I desperately wanted to get in the shower before we did it, but instead I ended up stuck in bed on my left side, being told not to move. I was totally miserable like that. They weren't happy with DS's heartrate, so I ended up stuck in bed for a really long time- hours. I couldn't manage the pain at all in that position, and I couldn't get on top of the out of control feeling I got enough to even attempt dong one of the scripts.

I think if I had a doula, that would have made a huge difference. I still think it was worthwhile though, and I think having done the classes even helped me deal with my C-section. On days when I'm really stressed, I can sit quietly and go through the script I liked the most, and it still works.

kijip
08-03-2008, 09:59 PM
I definitely think it is still worthwhile. I've never tried to be hypnotized in the "stage" versions you see, but I can guarantee you that I would never have done any weird behaviors while under hypnosis like stage hypnotists get people to do.

I have not tried stage hypnosis- but it was tried for therapeutic purposes surrounding my recovery from sexual assault. So clinical hypnosis was a no go.

This program sounds more like meditation, so I think I am going to try it. It sounds like hypnobabies is worth the extra cost.

brittone2
08-03-2008, 11:45 PM
I have not tried stage hypnosis- but it was tried for therapeutic purposes surrounding my recovery from sexual assault. So clinical hypnosis was a no go.

This program sounds more like meditation, so I think I am going to try it. It sounds like hypnobabies is worth the extra cost.

Yeah, when I describe it to people I say it is a lot like progressive relaxation (if you've ever done those types of things) crossed w/ meditation and/or yoga type breathing/relaxation. It doesn't feel like anything other than deep relaxation for me.

At the very least, it will hopefully give you some techniques/ideas for getting into deep relaxation, which can't hurt, kwim?

I always practiced in bed, just relaxing, but in labor I was able to be active in labor and use it (because that's what felt right to me at the time). Some people swear by practicing their CDs while sitting on a birth ball, walking, etc. so they know they can do the hypnosis while being active when the time comes. Just a thought.

I had a bunch of scripts already and I still liked doing the Hypnobabies program while pg with DD. I only did the supplementary set, so I've never heard/experienced the full program from start to finish. I will say I always slept like a champ after doing my hypnosis stuff. I still pull it out once in a while if I'm having trouble falling asleep (it is still on my iPod ;) )

I hope that you enjoy it if you give it a try!