PDA

View Full Version : Best toys for use in the car on a long trip ...

mamaoftwins
08-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi all, we're driving 17hrs each way to visit our family in a few weeks and I was wondering if you had any recommendations for good toys to have in the car to occupy my 9 month old boys. I'm planning on bringing their usual favorites and lots of books, but was curious if anyone had any favorites of your own that you swear by in the car. I was thinking it might be nice to have a few new things for them. TIA!!

rlu
08-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Can't remember what DS liked at that age, but highly recommend an adult sit with them to be the "live" entertainment and go-fer. I did this with DS on our bi-montly 3 hour trips to/from MIL for several years. Based on the pix from when DS was that little, he mostly gummed teething toys and loved his Sandra Boyinton books. There was also a book with a fuzzy cover about a lion that he loved - it had a tail attached to the spine of the book that he loved to munch on.

That was fun to go back through the old pix, I noticed most of the teethers he preferred were Sassy brand with their bright colors (and that he wore a lot of bibs back then!)

hillview
08-04-2008, 08:54 AM
At that age it is a little hard. I'd bring NEW toys they haven't seen before (teethers, shakers etc). Also have had WILD success with things like parchment paper (a favorite), empty bottles, etc.

GOOD LUCK!
/hillary

heatherlynn
08-04-2008, 09:09 AM
A new rattle toy. It might drive you crazy, but my kids would entertain themselves all day when it was new.

Melaine
08-04-2008, 09:34 AM
We had a long trip recently with the 21 month old twins...
I picked up several "new" used toys and books for each and pulled them out periodically. I also sat in the back with them so I could entertain them and give them their toys. If you are ok with giving them juice, a long trip is a good time to pull out something like that as a "treat". My girls rarely get juice so that alone gets them pretty excited. Also music works for us...kids songs on cd or tape. Check out target they had some great stuff on super clearance that would make noise, like those little baby key toys and stuff. Hope it goes well!

pastrygirl
08-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Ditto the suggestion for new toys/books. I went to Target before our vacation and picked up some inexpensive, small, soft toys. Remember that you don't want anything that you wouldn't throw at your baby's head (in case of a crash) -- so heavy, plastic toys are out.

I had to spend some time in the back with my son. I started out in the front, then moved to the back at the first rest stop. Then after the second stop, I tried the front again and sometimes made it to the third stop, or we'd have to stop unexpectedly for me to move to the back.

mamaoftwins
08-04-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I'm checking out Target tonight. :)

rlu
08-11-2008, 01:27 AM
Also, I end up singing alot to DS, and have a songbook I use. Helps me remember the songs I know the tunes to.