PDA

View Full Version : Baby jogger city elite ok for jogging??

Lschmut
08-03-2008, 11:47 PM
I am desperately looking for a three wheel stroller that I can use as my main stoller every day AND take for 3-5 mile jogs 4-5x/week on smooth paved surfaces (a swivel/fixed front wheel). I am strongly considering the BJCE, but the website says it's not meant for jogging though! A salesperson told me it would be fine for LIGHT JOGGING. Anyone have experience jogging with this stroller? Anyone have a better recommendation for me?
TIA,
Lisa

ellies mom
08-04-2008, 12:40 AM
The swivel front wheeled AT strollers are great but they really aren't intended for jogging. I do not know what the salesperson considers light jogging but what you want it for isn't light jogging. And you would be downright miserable trying to run with it.

So, if you really want to run with the stroller, you'll probably want a real running stroller as well as the BJCE. I really like the BOB running strollers but everyone has their preferences.

bubbaray
08-04-2008, 12:58 AM
Not safe. No handbrake and no strap, therefore they can't be sold as joggers....

I've seen people running with all different sorts of AT non-jogging strollers, though.

strollerqueen
08-04-2008, 04:38 AM
ITA. Not safe. Sorry. Swivel wheels can get caught on cracks and bumps, and flip your stroller. And you need a handbrake to stop the stroller if you need to stop suddenly, like a cat runs across the road or something. If you are going at a high rate of speed and stop, the momentum will carry the stroller forward. You also need to keep a tether on it, with the other end wrapped around your wrist at all time, or it can run away from you. Lots of people want one do it all stroller. But for that amount of running, you have to have a large, fixed wheel jogger. Or leave the babies at home when you run. You may find out you prefer to run alone, anyway.

WatchingThemGrow
08-04-2008, 08:06 AM
We have the Elite Double. The wheels DO lock (you can switch it from fixed to swivel right on the front) and there IS a wrist strap connected to the frame, down at the back wheel axle. The single doesn't have shocks, but the double does.

I ran down my road with mine yesterday to catch up with a neighbor who was at the other end. I have run home with it in the rain. That's what I personally consider light jogging. I would not make a habit of it, but in a pinch it was fine (again, the double DOES have shocks).

If you are seriously considering running up to 25 miles a week, you should totally have a real large wheel jogger and a smaller errand stroller. My friends who actually continued to run after their kids were Ok'd by their peds to ride in a running stroller, said they were pretty happy with their BOBs or BJ running strollers. Like strollerqueen said, I just find myself wanting to exercise without my DC. When I go walking with my City, I enjoy being able to walk with a friend and get some adult interaction. You also won't find that the BOB gives you the maneuverability indoors that the BJ does because of the 3 vs. 4 wheel thing. I've had both and taken them in the same places (on the double).

If you really only want one stroller, to do all things (except that much running) the BJCE can do that. If you are determined to run, I'd suggest getting 2 strollers. We have the Elite for most outdoor stuff, but we also have the Burley D'lite which has a large front wheel attachment for any time we feel like we might want to really run. So far, we just use the gym's nursery quite conveniently!

Kindra178
08-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Why don't you look at the Bob Rev? Awesome for jogging.

Kindra178
08-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Why don't you look at the Bob Rev? Awesome for jogging. It also works fantastic as an everyday stroller.