PDA

View Full Version : Reminderbands - long-term reviews? wording suggestions?

o_mom
08-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Anyone that has used these for a few months care to comment on them? Do they hold up?

What did you have put on them?

We are considering getting some for when we go places. I have been trying to think of what to put on them. Right now I'm leaning toward "Mom: <my cell number>" "Dad: <DH's cell number>"

I was thinking that the cell numbers would be more logical if we were out, since we wouldn't be at home. Also, it would be unlikely that neither DH nor I would have our cell phones handy.

Thanks!

Here's the website if anyone wants to know what I'm talking about, lol: http://www.reminderband.com/

Alys the Cat
08-04-2008, 08:05 PM
Ours have held up fine, although we don't use them everyday. Mostly for weekend park outings (when I remember!), trips to theme parks, etc. We managed to lose one at the mall. No one called to return it. ;)

As far as wording goes, I went with Found Me? and my cell number. I think just putting Mom or Dad with a cell number would work great, too.

Christine

kboyle
08-05-2008, 12:13 AM
i don't know about reminderbands, but i know that many moms on disboards (disney boards) rave about http://www.shanrene.com/custom-wristbands.php

plus they have a youth size :) i plan on ordering a few for my boys.

neeleymartin
08-05-2008, 09:36 PM
what about just using name sticker labels and writing cell phone number? hubby and I contemplated and decided that it might be just as easy and we can change the wording easily.

good luck.
n

o_mom
08-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I'll have to look closer at the Shanrene pricing to see if it is worth it. They don't have color fill available which I was leaning toward, but if it is significantly cheaper I may go without it. I also need to measure to see if their sizes will work with preschoolers.

I thought about stickers, but if they are at a water park or they get wet they can be a mess. I was looking for something a bit more durable. Also, the bracelet wouldn't be as obvious and might go over better as they get older.

gatorsmom
08-05-2008, 11:30 PM
My 5 year old loves the reminder bands and keeps them on. My 3 yo loves them too but he is always taking them off and losing them. It seems that every outing we go on he loses one. Never fail he leaves the house with it and comes back without it.

The small children's sizing is good for their age. For wording we put "If Lost xxx-xxx-xxxx or xxx-xxx-cell". There isn't room for much else. hth

kboyle
08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I'll have to look closer at the Shanrene pricing to see if it is worth it. They don't have color fill available which I was leaning toward, but if it is significantly cheaper I may go without it. I also need to measure to see if their sizes will work with preschoolers.

i didn't notice that reminderbands had the colorfill...once you find out the difference in pricing, please share!

i may end up getting reminderbands vs shanrene due to the color fill too...plus i like that they have a glow in the dark band :)

o_mom
08-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Here's the pricing I worked out. I can't figure out how to format a table here, so kind of messy. Not sure yet what we are going to get - I really like the colorfill, but I'm not sure if it is worth the extra cost and I'm not sure I need 20 of them (though a few extra can't hurt).

If you get more than 10 at Reminderband, you may as well get 20 as it would be cheaper (must order in multiples of 5 unless less than 5).
Shanrene is cheaper for less than 20, Reminderband is cheaper for 20+
Shanrene offers two sizes 7" and 8", Reminderband has three 5 7/8", 7 3/8" and 8 3/8"
I could not find S&H info for Shanrene without going though the purchase and giving them all my info.Reminderband:
# __EA__Plain __2phr___CF___ 2ph+CF_S&H
5 $3.50 $17.50 $18.50 $18.75 $19.75 $6.42
10 $2.50 $25.00 $27.00 $27.50 $29.50 $6.67
20 $1.69 $33.80 $37.80 $38.80 $42.80 $7.17

Shanrene:

#__EA__Plain __2phr
5 $1.99 $9.95 $11.45
10 $1.99 $19.90 $22.90
15 $1.99 $29.85 $34.35
20 $1.99 $39.80 $45.80

kboyle
08-06-2008, 05:17 PM
hmmm...i do like that there is a smaller size with the reminderbands...though if i got shanrene's as previously planned i was just going to put them on their ankles as i knew they'd be too big.

and darn, i was planning on getting 6...but if i have to order in multiples of 5 for over 5 bands...i really don't need 10, i guess that it'd be ok though. i could also see if my SIL wants to hop in on some.

thanks so much for the price comparison :)

egoldber
08-06-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't know that I see the advantage of these for a theme park. I was with a family at Seaworld this weekend where a child did get lost. They went to the park's Lost Children area and their kid was right there waiting for them.

Honestly, if someone found my kid I'd rather they took them right to the park (or mall's) lost children's location rather than looking around on their person for a band or something. I know I wouldn't dare poke around on a kid's person to find a band with info. And since cell reception can be spotty, I don't think you can rely on cell phones. JMO.

o_mom
08-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm not thinking theme parks - more like county fairs, kids events in the parks, soccer fields, zoo, etc where there may or may not be a designated 'lost child' area. I don't expect that someone would find them and call me, but that if they take them to wherever they end up, that they can call me. Same as an ID tag, but these seem a bit more convenient is all.

The other thing is that if someone takes them to the people in charge, wherever they are, there is no way my kids would be able to give them any information. DS1 won't talk to anyone he doesn't know, but could point to his wristband. DS2 is only 3 and probably wouldn't be able to tell them anything beyond his first name.

I guess we are spoiled here in flat-as-a-pancake country as I can't think of anywhere in a 100 mi radius that we couldn't get cell service. I may re-think that though and put a home number instead of two cell numbers.

kboyle
08-06-2008, 08:01 PM
if i happened to lose my child the first place i'd obviously go is a lost child area. but like pp, i know my kids wouldn't be able to give out any helping info to the police officer or staff member there. i wouldn't expect anyone to call me nor would i wait around for a phone call.

i don't even own a home phone, dh & i just both have a cell. i feel that this info or any (not child's name or anything) is never too much to be helpful.

i plan on putting:
If Lost Call Mom (my name) xxx-xxx-xxxx OR Dad (dh's name) xxx-xxx-xxxx

neeter
08-07-2008, 09:28 AM
We ordered the 411 wristband-ID tags from Mabel's Labels. There's alot of room for whatever you'd like to put on them. We put our family name, plus our cell phone numbers. They are sticky and disposable and work great...(we've used at the splash park and zoo sofar). Before we got these I put my cell phone number in my DS' pocket and told him that if he got lost that my number was on there.

kboyle
08-07-2008, 09:57 PM
We ordered the 411 wristband-ID tags from Mabel's Labels. There's alot of room for whatever you'd like to put on them. We put our family name, plus our cell phone numbers. They are sticky and disposable and work great...(we've used at the splash park and zoo sofar). Before we got these I put my cell phone number in my DS' pocket and told him that if he got lost that my number was on there.

i was debating on whether to get these too as they seem nice and handy, but for the price of the bands and the re-usable factor that's why i think the bands will work better for us. i do love the look of the mabel bands...i love the bumblebees.