PDA

View Full Version : OK, I have a situation that maybe others would kill for

kijip
08-04-2008, 02:08 PM
My husband is jonesing for a new stroller. He is convinced we need a Zippy this time around. As it is we will have a MBUS with a bassinet (for walks) and a Maclaren Techno (for car). I say Techno serves the same purpose as the Zippy, he says the Zippy is too cool to skip. :ROTFLMAO: I just thought I would share my unconventional situation. Is the Zippy much better for an infant than the Techno? We will use a bundle me in the techno.

elektra
08-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes my husband is into strollers too. You must be careful what you wish for!
When he long ago mentioned that he wished he could see DD when we pushed her in our P3, I made the mistake of telling him that they made strollers like that. He was like, "they do?!?!" And he then convinced me we needed an UPPABaby Vista after already having a p3 and an MBUS. We really liked the Vista but ended up selling it since we really did not need it.
The zippy is cool but I don't think you would need both a Techno and a Zippy.
Maybe look at a Volo or zapp for when the baby is a bit bigger? Or think about selling your Techno and getting the Zippy if you love it?
We also now have a zapp which is DH's stroller. He really likes how it folds so small and looks cool. He is also shorter than me so he actually likes that the handles are a bit lower too.

KBecks
08-04-2008, 02:38 PM
I don't know anything about the Zippy but I'll agree with you. As long as your strollers worked for you so far, then keep using them and save your money. Is there something else you'll need for the baby? Car seat? carrier? I'd probably look into that kind of thing. (Otherwise there's always the college fund!)

kijip
08-04-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't know anything about the Zippy but I'll agree with you. As long as your strollers worked for you so far, then keep using them and save your money. Is there something else you'll need for the baby? Car seat? carrier? I'd probably look into that kind of thing. (Otherwise there's always the college fund!)

We are soooo not getting the Zippy unless it falls out of the sky and into my yard (which if happened, I'd have to smash it to pieces in retaliation for whatever tomato plant or rose bush it crushed)....just making light of the situation. We are both tall and found the Techno best after a long trial and error search before. We got rid of both the MBUS and the Techno in April so when I found a Techno on CL for $80 once I was in the 2nd trimester, I snatched it up. This weekend I scored a MBUS on CL as well for $125. So $205 spent. We will get the bassinet for the MBUS which is $$ but worth it since we do walk a lot. We don't have much of anything to buy because I have a friend with a child gthat will be one in January who made it very clear that she wanted to hand all of her stuff down (though I am insisting on paying for it so I don't have to worry if we break something). I even split the cost of a Chicco Key Fit 30 with her when she decided to get an infant seat when her older seat was outgrown at 4 months old. I spent $52 this weekend on the few things she did not have that I would want at a rummage sale (co-sleeper, some diaper covers and a travel swing plus some little stuff) and have used CL and Diaperswapper to stock up on diapers. So with the exception of a few cute sleepers (some scored from BBB Swap, thanks ladies!) and the like, we have nothing to buy. Though I need to ban myself from diaperswap...I have a lot of fluffy mail on the way and if I am saying no to a used Zippy, I need to say no to any more cute wool covers. :ROTFLMAO:

wellyes
08-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Well, you can't use the Techno for newborns, so you COULD say that you do need the Zippy as a car stroller for the first couple months. Actually I do think the Techno may be insufficient as your shopping stroller due to no storage/cup holder/snack tray etc. In my mind it's really more a travel stroller than anything else.

Damn, now *I* want a Zippy even more!

What I do to stave off stroller lust..... only works for true geeks. I heavily research details of 529 plans. I have finance boards I frequent, I've made multiple spreadsheets, and I have convince myself that the $300 I'm not spending on another stroller can be invested and grow exponentially through the miracle of compound interest to be thousands of dollars by the time DD is college aged. I want a Zippy but I'd rather have thousands of dollars.

Either way, congrats on the husband, maybe he can call mine to convince him of the merits of the zippy LOL!

elektra
08-04-2008, 03:01 PM
What I do to stave off stroller lust..... only works for true geeks. I heavily research details of 529 plans. I have finance boards I frequent, I've made multiple spreadsheets, and I have convince myself that the $300 I'm not spending on another stroller can be invested and grow exponentially through the miracle of compound interest to be thousands of dollars by the time DD is college aged. I want a Zippy but I'd rather have thousands of dollars.
\\

Good idea. I really need to get DH to try this!

bubbaray
08-04-2008, 03:18 PM
I would have your DH try out the Zippy IRL. Both my DH and I kicked the rear wheels. Personally, I think a Zippy and Techno serve the same purpose, but if your DH wants it I wouldn't say no.... But, I have a lot of strollers, many duplicates in terms of function.

strollerqueen
08-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Aside from the fabulous fold, huge canopy, snack tray, and plush seats, one thing I can see that would be very useful for you on the Zippy is the rear step, for your other child to stand on.

bubbaray
08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
ITA with Janet -- the step feature is great, especially in busy parking lots.

If you/your DH kick the wheels with the Zippy, check out the P3. It has an even wider step than the Zippy. The Chicco C1 also has a step and you can get a great deal on it, even new, now as Chicco is discontinuing it.

kijip
08-04-2008, 06:49 PM
Well, you can't use the Techno for newborns, so you COULD say that you do need the Zippy as a car stroller for the first couple months. Actually I do think the Techno may be insufficient as your shopping stroller due to no storage/cup holder/snack tray etc. In my mind it's really more a travel stroller than anything else.

The Techno has a pretty flat recline, at least as flat as the P3 (just slightly angled) and is rated from birth- one of 2 Macs that is I think? We used it as a car/shopping stroller for over 2 years with T so I think it suits how we use a stroller. We are not much for lots of shopping bags and we never missed a cup holder, big basket or snack tray with it before. I am adding an extra pad to it so it will be cushy for a young infant. I am not sure we will be using it right away, but by 3 months or so I think it will be great.

We thought about the step thing but T just does not fit onto a step (tried out the P3 with him and my niece this way) well and has been walking 100% of the time even at the zoo and on long walks and through airports for a year now even when we brought a just in case stroller- he even walked the 3+ miles with us to school on occasion. He will be nearing 6 by the time we get any real use out of a car stroller anyways! He is very tall and big for his age (95%tile) so we found it unwieldy to try and push it, and he has only grown since then. Plus, he is just loves to walk. If this changes post baby, I am sure we can reconsider stroller steps!

bubbaray
08-04-2008, 07:35 PM
You absolutely can use a Techno from birth.

egoldber
08-06-2008, 12:36 PM
If you don't currently have a stroller that your older child can ride on the back, then I would get one. I have a Venezia which does that and while I didn't use it much when Sarah was an infant I am STILL using it with Amy because of that feature alone. I really wish I had bought a P3/Zippy for Amy because of that.

Even if he doesn't ride now, he may want to ride again when the baby comes. And when you don't have a free hand to hold hands in the parking lot, and you want to make sure he's safe, its a good thing.

KBecks
08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Really a step for T? I would think he's totally walking and wouldn't need it. There's no way I could picture my niece at age 5 or 6 riding on a step.

egoldber
08-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Sarah rides on the step all the time. Mainly when *I* need her to. Like if I need to get somewhere fast and she's dragging behind. Or when I am nervous because its really crowded and I'm afraid we'll get separated. Typically its when I am by myself with both of them and I don't feel like I can keep an eye on Sarah adequately while also pushing the stroller with Amy in it.

Or when we're on vacation. We just got back from a week in San Diego where we did the zoo, Legoland, Wild Animal Park, Seaworld.... By the end of two solid days of theme parks, Sarah needed to ride. We ended up renting a stroller for her on the third day because I let DH talk me into bringing the Mac instead of the Venezia. I was NOT happy.

kijip
08-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Really a step for T? I would think he's totally walking and wouldn't need it. There's no way I could picture my niece at age 5 or 6 riding on a step.

I tend to agree. I don't know how big other people's kids are but Toby is really big for his age and I, despite serious arm strength, would have a hell of a time pushing him on the back of a stroller if my trial with my neice is any indication. Also, so far he very good at staying close in parking lots etc. I suppose this could change with the arrival of baby (sibling rivalry issues) so if it does, I'll consider a different stroller or a buggy board. Obviously BTDT mamas know more, so I will play it by ear and see how he does.

egoldber
08-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Sarah is 48 inches and weighs about 50 pounds. I don't have any trouble pushing her, but I suppose YMMV. :)

kijip
08-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Sarah is 48 inches and weighs about 50 pounds. I don't have any trouble pushing her, but I suppose YMMV. :)

Maybe it was the particular stroller we tried it out on...or the fact he is a little wiggle wart, shifting his weight around a lot.

swissair81
08-07-2008, 09:46 AM
I would have your DH try out the Zippy IRL. Both my DH and I kicked the rear wheels. Personally, I think a Zippy and Techno serve the same purpose, but if your DH wants it I wouldn't say no.... But, I have a lot of strollers, many duplicates in terms of function.

I sold my Zippy for exactly that reason. I wanted to call up Inglesina & scream at them for not making the handle height slightly taller. I bought a Mac Techno instead & I am loving the adjustable handle heights. I understand the multiple stroller mentality though. I have a Techno, a MBUS, a double stroller that is pending- but I am still lusting after the Quinny Buzz. I'm not sure what I would do with it, with 2 babies, but whatever.