PDA

View Full Version : Red Castle Whizz or MBUS/ other AT?

SeffMarc
08-04-2008, 04:30 PM
All of you were incredibly helpful weeks ago in letting me know I would probably want an AT stroller for the kind of lifestyle my husband and I enjoy. We decided on an MBUS, and this weekend we went to see the stroller in person. Well, it was huge, and it really didn't have all the features we wanted, so we ended up buying an Uppababy Vista with my husband agreeing that we should get a full AT stroller, perhaps secondhand, when the baby is older and we won't have to worry about a bassinet, newborn recline, and the like.

Right now I have the option to buy a Red Castle Whizz at a much reduced price. Is the Red Castle Whizz really a full AT stroller, or should I pass up this deal and look into a gently used MBUS or BOB when the time comes? Since this will be a second stroller particularly for AT use (lengthy walks on paved bike trails, brief walks on dirt paths, walks through snow, on grass, over the occasional tree root, etc.) I definitely want the best AT features and am less concerned with weight, fold, etc.

What do you all think?

julymommy
08-04-2008, 04:39 PM
I LOVE my MBUS. We researched strollers to death and ended up with the MBUS. DS is 4 weeks old and we have used the stroller almost everyday. It is great on trails (we take him in the state park), it does well on the beach, and it does well in the snow too (we "test drove" the stroller on the snowy day. Also, I take the stroller with me into town - I've been able to fit everywhere - no problems. I can't tell you anything about the other stroller you asked about - but I can tell you the MBUS is incredible. DS falls asleep every time we go for a walk (right now we are using our chicco keyfit and the car seat adaptor since he is so little).

wellyes
08-04-2008, 04:47 PM
I think that an Uppababy Vista *is* an AT stroller.

It has more features than you'll need for an older baby. But it's not worse than an MBUS or a Whizz for AT, in fact it's directly competing with those models.

I have a Vista and there are a few things I don't love about it, but I have no complaints at all about it's AT capabilities.

bubbaray
08-04-2008, 04:48 PM
An MBUS is completely appropriate for a newborn and you can get a bassinette for it. It could have been my only....

Personally, I'd get an MBUS. They have strong resale value too.

BeachBum
08-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Well I think that you can kind of wait and decide later? I would pass on the whizz for now. It has a lower weight limit just like the uppa baby and smallish tires.
I'm not sure what you didn't like about the MBUS, so I'm not sure if those other stollers would meet your needs or not. I own a MBUS and used it from birth (with carrycot) and still am using it at age 3. The things I like about it over your other two choices are that the tires are bigger which means my DH can jog with it occasionally and I can take it in the sand without a problem (we live at the beach). Additionally the weight limit is more than 2x your other choices.

SeffMarc
08-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Thanks for your replies!

We had an EXTREMELY difficult time making our initial decision between the Uppababy and the MBUS, and I probably would have chosen the MBUS as a one-and-only (which I actually had before testing it in the store) had my husband not pitied my distress and agreed that we could have more than one stroller. For my newborn and young infant, I really, really wanted a stroller that sat higher, had a reversible seat, and had a more compact fold and a slightly shorter wheel base than the MBUS (which we both had trouble maneuvering around the store and into my trunk so as to allow room for the dog). Also, to get all the extras that came with the Uppababy for the MBUS, we would have had to spend $300 more, and we figured we could spend that $300 on a used MBUS and have our cake and eat it too!

My dilemma now is whether a Red Castle Whizz, which I can buy new now for less than a used MBUS, will actually make us happy, or whether we should wait and see. It may indeed be that we'll be entirely happy with the Uppababy and won't feel the need for more of an AT stroller, so maybe I should just wait and see.

Is it the general consensus, though, that a Red Castle Whizz is not as good for strictly AT use as an MBUS?

strollerqueen
08-06-2008, 01:28 AM
The Whizz is exactly the same size as the MBUS, just two pounds lighter. The lighter weight comes from the smaller tires. Which means no, it is not nearly as A/T as the MB. The Whizz is meant to be an urban stroller, not for hiking over tree roots. FWIW, the BJ is bigger than the MB, so is the EW Sky, the Dreamer is WAY bigger, and the BOB is noticeably longer.So even though the MB seems big to you, it is one of the smallest 3-wheelers.They make a fixed wheel version called the Breeze which is just adorable, and it is smaller. Extremely rugged for it's size, but the wheels are smaller, too. They also make a fixed wheel version of the Urban, called the Terrain. It is even lighter, and more rugged, but most Americans don't care for fixed wheels.

amycoh
08-06-2008, 07:42 AM
As Stroller Queen said, the MBUS and Whizz are the same size except the tires, and there are a few other differences too.

The adjustable handlebar on the MB is a dream to maneuver than the Whizz, which I found a bit clunky. Although the handlebar on the whizz can go to more positions, the 3 positions on MB's are perfect, and the ease of use is wonderful.

Also, Although I only test drove the whizz inside, and it did turn on a dime and drive like a dream, the MB drives just as easy, and with the bigger tires its more versatile for all seasons and all sorts of terrain.

Price - the whizz is a bit cheaper when you include the accessories it comes with (bumperbar, suncover, storm cover), but if you plan to buy a used MB anyways, you can splurge for the accesories you need.

I LOVE my MBUS, and my son who is amost 3 calls it his stroller. I bought the Sashas MB Sun shade for it, which is a must in my opinion since it is see-through and still protects, and less hot inside. My son asks for the sunshade even in the mall sometimes.

I also bought the bumper bar, which is not needed for older kids who like to climb in themselves. Some younger kids like to hold onto something, so it might get some use, but it generally hangs out in my trunk.

At some point I might buy the storm cover, but I havent been strolling in the rain lately.

So, thats my opinion - go for the MBUS, HTH someone. I hope that someone who loves the whizz can chime in for comparisons with the MB too for an opposite perspective.

Enjoy,
Amy

doberbrat
08-06-2008, 04:51 PM
the flip side to the comparison is that the whizz is a better all around stroller if you're going to take it to the mall or another crowded place. also, a teeny detail - the hubcaps on the whizz are flush w/the wheels which means it doesnt hang up on things in stores or putting it in/out of the car.

also the whizz seats a bigger child.

the fold is different. the whizz folded would fit better in my van. it folds in half - its thicker than the mb fold but shorter.

my dd refused to sit in the whizz so I didnt get to test drive it but I did like what I saw.

I think it really depends on your lifestyle. how much outdoor stuff you do and what the nature is- soccer fields or hiking in the woods? will you use it in places like a mall?

I think personal preference will play alot into the decision.