PDA

View Full Version : We were outside today

bethie_73
08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
And I did use sunscreen!!!

First off DS is fine, no color at all, so that makes me happy. But I am red, and I'm getting blisters. Ugh I can't remember the last time I had a burn and NEVER one with blisters. So do you think I can treat this at home, or do I need to see a Dr? I'm in the middle of finding a new provider so I guess that is my main reluctance to go somewhere.

bubbaray
08-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Hmmm, hard to tell. How big are the blisters? Are they small? Like hives? If so, I'd take some benadryl and see if they go away -- they might be an allergic reaction to the sunscreen. Advil or Tylenol will help with the pain, as will a cool shower. If I burn, I don't use any lotion afterwards, but I know others who use aloevera gel.

Good luck!

happi
08-04-2008, 05:46 PM
I would put lots of aloe vera on the burn

pinkmomagain
08-04-2008, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=bubbaray]I'd take some benadryl and see if they go away -- they might be an allergic reaction to the sunscreen.[QUOTE]

When we went on vaca in Feb, DD1's face blew up, was red and raw and I was sure she had a horrible sunburn. But this summer, after trying several different sunscreens we she that she does get red and swollen from different brands. Thinking back, I think she could have had a combo of burn and allergic reaction.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
08-04-2008, 08:34 PM
I've had many,many,many sunburns in my life. Several of them severe. If you're blisters are from your burn I'd say take tylenol and spray with solarcaine. I've always found aloe to be painful when it's applied and slimy and it gets all over everything. If your blisters are from the burn they'll pop and then your skin will peel. You should be better in a few days.

If this is all from a burn your skin should be sensitive to any sensation,even fabric against it. And you may also be able to feel your skin slightly raidiating heat. I wouldn't call a doc. There's really nothing they can do for it unless it's an extreme second degree burn (which I had at 17, all over my back!) Just pain relief.

If you're blisters are an allergic reaction I'd imagine you wouldn't be a sensitive to sensation or radiating heat. But you sound like you're burned.

Hugs and good luck.

ThreeofUs
08-04-2008, 10:23 PM
I think you might have 3 main possibilities:
1. If this is a sunscreen reaction, you would have seen something happen near (w/in an hour or so, probably) the time you put on an application of the sunscreen. Try benadryl and see if that helps.
2. If this is a solid 2nd degree burn, with blisters that started as you were under the sun and that are now growing bigger, skin that is very red and painful, and new skin under blisters that *hurts* - go see a doc, any doc. Yes, you can and will treat at home, but having someone look at your skin is just smart. (Btw, sprays will not help with this kind of burn.)
3. You might also have a lighter burn that has sealed your skin to the extent that perspiration is now gathering in little pools under the epidermis. This should feel like the rest of the sunburn - not like you just got the mother of all burns with blisters that are extremely sensitive (as in #2, above). Treat with any spray that has some painkiller (like xylocaine) and aloe in it. Should itch but go away pretty quickly. Benadryl would help with the itching in this case, too.

"Getting blisters" makes it sound like these are just developing - that is, that you didn't come home with them, which means you didn't start blistering in the sun or immediately after putting on sunscreen. So maybe it's (3). Remember, though, if you develop any signs of infection on your skin, get thee to a doctor.

HTH!