PDA

View Full Version : Starting to research "real" strollers

tnrnchick74
08-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Ok, my son is only 2 months old...but I know he will outgrow his SS1 & stroller frame some time this year.

I'm starting to research the next stroller option. My needs: something easy to fold (or at least as easy as the stroller frame), something light enough that I can grab it by myself and not need a strong man. I want something that will take us through the rest of our "stroller" time (with the addition of an umbrella stroller for short trips at some point)

I will go to the mall, walk around the neighborhoods, and take walks on paved/stone trails and the zoo...so something that's good on all terrains. And of course a "cool" factor would be nice. My son is already turning out to be a long child and a good sunshield is a must as we live in FL.

Looking at allbebaby to get some ideas for strollers to keep an eye out for sales/used/etc...

I like the looks of: http://www.albeebaby.com/rostbaipi4in.html
http://www.albeebaby.com/mia-moda-atmosferra-rosso.html
http://www.albeebaby.com/miamoenst20f.html
http://www.albeebaby.com/quinny-zapp-stroller-capri.html

but I don't know anything about those strollers at all! I'm not limiting myself to those above strollers though! I can see my budget being $300 or less...though if its a stroller that will be "THE" perfect stroller...then I might go a little higher.

of course I like the MBUS and BOB's but am not 100% sure I can afford to spend that much (though if I got a good used deal, that would be great)

So if you have a fave stroller that fits my needs...please give me some suggestions to look at. I haven't found many stores that carry some of the "top line" strollers (or really any stroller other than chicco, McClarren, and Graco, etc) but I would LOVE to "try out" if I can!

bubbaray
08-04-2008, 07:17 PM
Strollerswap, used MBUS or BOB or BJCS. Parker's way too young for a Zapp.

kijip
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Check out Craigslist in your area, in addition to strollerswap. I just got a MBUS for $125. Really, unless someone has an unlimited budget or just likes to pay more for new things there is no reason not to buy these pricier strollers used. Consider it your environmental good deed too!

tnrnchick74
08-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Strollerswap, used MBUS or BOB or BJCS. Parker's way too young for a Zapp.
At what age would it be a good stroller (ETA - I just looked up some more info on it...now I understand that it doesn't recline)? I'm not planning on buying one for a few more months, or until he is closer to outgrowing his SS1...unless I find a GREAT deal.

I'm seriously looking at the BJCS - what are the pros & cons with this stroller?

tnrnchick74
08-04-2008, 10:44 PM
Check out Craigslist in your area, in addition to strollerswap. I just got a MBUS for $125. Really, unless someone has an unlimited budget or just likes to pay more for new things there is no reason not to buy these pricier strollers used. Consider it your environmental good deed too!
I LOVe craigslist!

bubbaray
08-05-2008, 12:13 AM
At what age would it be a good stroller (ETA - I just looked up some more info on it...now I understand that it doesn't recline)? I'm not planning on buying one for a few more months, or until he is closer to outgrowing his SS1...unless I find a GREAT deal.

I'm seriously looking at the BJCS - what are the pros & cons with this stroller?

I wouldn't put a child under 12m minimum in a Zapp. It has no recline. Frankly, for a no recline stroller, its not my first (or even second) choice. In that feature-set, I'd get a Volo or a G-Lite (both under 9lbs, no recline). The Zapp is about 16lbs and by the time you want/need a no-recline stroller, weight will be an issue, so you'll likely want the lightest weight stroller you can find....

My 18mo DD#2 still sleeps in the stroller (even my 4yo does occasionally, or at least likes to lie down in it). You are a long time away from needing a no-recline stroller IMO.

The BJCS is a nice stroller. I have a MBUS, BOB Revolution and BJCS(double). They are all nice and all have their pros and cons. Overall, I like the MBUS the best from birth. You could buy it now and use it until whenever. Technically all three are usable from birth (except the 2006 BOBs, which have only a small recline, 2007 and newer have a better, though not full, recline). The recline on the BOB is a bit weird, you either love it or hate it. A coworker of mine has one and her DD always looked uncomfy in it. Whereas, my MBUS, even my newborn DD#2 looked snug and comfy in it.

If you have a long-torsoed child, the BJCS is your best bet, it has the highest canopy of the bunch. Next highest is the BOB, the lowest is the MBUS. But, my long-torsoed 4yo still fits in my MBUS.

They all fold differently. The BOB is a book fold and the BJ is kinda a book fold, you just grab the handles that have FOLD on them. The MBUS folds differently, more flat. Which will work for you depends on your vehicle and where you will store it in the house.

Everyone has their bias. I personally think the MBUS is best from birth onwards. You can get a bassinette for it, I think BJ makes one too. I'm pretty sure BOB does not.

HTH

gatorsmom
08-05-2008, 12:24 AM
I have to agree with Melissa about the MBUS. It is a sturdy, no-frills, well-built stroller. With some definite "cool" factor. It has a weight limit of 100lbs so it will last forever. And it is such a smooth ride- great for an infant. It was my all-purpose and only stroller for my first child.

You will need an additional UVnet on it though to protect from the sun since the canopy is not it's stongest point. The Mountain Buggy net is a bug net/sun shield. It works well but so do the Protect-a-Bubs from what I've heard.

hth

kijip
08-05-2008, 12:58 AM
As for the weight of the stroller- remember how strong you are getting carrying Parker around. I don't mind a little heavier stroller that is easier to push. My son weighs 47 pounds (was 32 ish at age 1) and I can carry him on one hip with one arm now. I sure as hell could not do that 5 years ago with a nearly 50 pound child. Essentially our babies are great weight lifting practice that will soon weigh more than any stroller.

WatchingThemGrow
08-05-2008, 07:22 AM
If you're able to spring for the BJCS, I'd do it in a heartbeat. We have the double, and it gives my Bugaboo some competition. You will LOVE it so much more than the stroller frame. So will he, I'm guessing.

Pros: lays flat - you can use it immediately, the top portion of the seatback is mesh, so breezes CAN come through, the sunshade/canopy is the best! (we recently took ours to FL b/c of it), the handlebar is adjustable, the Elite has a 6 compartment parent organizer, the fold is quick and easy, it's good for taller/long torsoed kids, getting it now would get him out of his carseat (our DC were prone to plagiocephaly, so this was a must for us), there is a nice footrest on the Elite for younger children which also gives easy access to the basket, very sturdy!, quick and easy fold

Cons: the color offerings could be better IMO. the Single does not have suspension, but it does have air tires, so that's a step up from most of the traditional singles, can be heavier, but worth it to me b/c of the sturdiness and ease of pushing.

I could have seen myself loving this stroller as my only, really.

tnrnchick74
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Ok, so I'm going to start looking for a MBUS or BJCS - preferable used. And if I find a good deal, then I will get it as soon as I can afford it!

Parker doesn't spend a lot of time out of the car, in his carseat - but I do use the stroller frame with it some. Like when we go to the zoo - I use the stroller frame and 1/2 the time use my sling, the other 1/2 use the stroller. He let's me know quite quickly when he's ready to get out of it! Mostly its really nice when he's sleeping and we are going shopping - he falls asleep in the car, and I don't have to wake him up to get him into another stroller.

BUT he's going to get to the point that he won't want to sit in it, as he will want to sit up and see! And he's getting heavy! I'm sure when he's about 20 lbs, I won't be able to carry him in his carseat...I can barely carry him in it now!

I like the idea of the ventilated/mesh seatback on the BJCS as my son is VERY hot natured and its very hot here in central FL!

thanks for the help! I REALLY want to be able to see one in real life and test it out...but I'm not sure where I will be able to do that.

WatchingThemGrow
08-05-2008, 08:12 PM
I just checked their website, and there are some retailers that sell BJ's in your area. Call around. http://babyjogger.com/retailer.asp I was in Sarasota and played with one at a store there.

Just to clarify, it isn't the actual seatback that's mesh. It is the part near the head. When the seat is reclined, the part that goes from the kid's head to the handlebars is mesh. There's also a cover to block the wind if you want to do that.

I doubt you'll find one of these used. I'm a craigslist fan, and I don't know if I've ever seen one of the newer City models on there. You may be able to find MBUS though. My friend who has an older one complains about the shade, though. Not sure about the newer models.

tnrnchick74
08-05-2008, 10:38 PM
I just checked their website, and there are some retailers that sell BJ's in your area. Call around. http://babyjogger.com/retailer.asp I was in Sarasota and played with one at a store there.

Just to clarify, it isn't the actual seatback that's mesh. It is the part near the head. When the seat is reclined, the part that goes from the kid's head to the handlebars is mesh. There's also a cover to block the wind if you want to do that.

I doubt you'll find one of these used. I'm a craigslist fan, and I don't know if I've ever seen one of the newer City models on there. You may be able to find MBUS though. My friend who has an older one complains about the shade, though. Not sure about the newer models.

Thanks for the clarification - I looked online and saw pics of all the strollers, so I could invision what you were talking about. There is a store in Orlando that has the 2 strollers I'm looking at (at least they are listed as retailers). We have a couple of consignment stores for children's items around here - occassionally they have high end strollers that I have seen. I plan on keeping my eyes peeled there!

bubbaray
08-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the clarification - I looked online and saw pics of all the strollers, so I could invision what you were talking about. There is a store in Orlando that has the 2 strollers I'm looking at (at least they are listed as retailers). We have a couple of consignment stores for children's items around here - occassionally they have high end strollers that I have seen. I plan on keeping my eyes peeled there!

IIRC, arunningstroller.com is in Tampa and have a second store in Orlando. Talk to Marilyn there, she used to sell the MBUS, BJCS and the BOB. She's super nice and I purchased my MBUS (and my Swift) from her.

tnrnchick74
08-06-2008, 08:54 AM
IIRC, arunningstroller.com is in Tampa and have a second store in Orlando. Talk to Marilyn there, she used to sell the MBUS, BJCS and the BOB. She's super nice and I purchased my MBUS (and my Swift) from her.

COOL! I will certainly do that!