PDA

View Full Version : weaning from the bottle

happi
08-04-2008, 05:44 PM
How old was your baby when you took them off of the bottle?

LarsMal
08-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Started weaning both of mine off the bottle at 1 and had them both off by 14 months. My goal was to be able to answer "yes" when the ped asked me if they were completely off the bottle (at their 15 mos checks)!

StantonHyde
08-04-2008, 09:50 PM
Well, I bfd mine and they got bottles when I was at work. So I weaned from bf to milk at one year. For DD, (DC #2) I had her on a sippy by 18 mos. I used that opportunity to tell DS (#1) that he did not need to get a bottle for wake up and bed time--he could use a sippy too. He was over 4 years old!!!! :innocent:

kijip
08-04-2008, 09:59 PM
12 months. He liked the cup a lot so we gave up the bottle just before his first birthday. If he had wanted to keep it, I would have let him.

JBaxter
08-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Logan was down to 1 bottle a day at 14 months then got meningitis and was in the hospital for 8 days all he wanted was his bottle it went for good at 17 months
Connor had 1 bottle ( I put away all the others) from 15 months to 20ish months he left it on the floor and our cat chewed off the nipple ( all done) He was a super grump to get up in the mornings and heading off to day care was easier with his bottle .. I was so glad when "kitty broke it"

Nathan was off at 14 months but only because he LOVED the nubby sippy cups.

tinydancer'smama
08-04-2008, 10:19 PM
My DD will be 2 in September. She still takes a bottle in the morning and evening. We've always had the mentality that she takes the reines on when she does something new (sleeping in crib, eating with utensils, etc.). she just started taking milk from an open cup. She enjoys drinking water and juice from a sippy cup, and has for many, many months, but milk has been her challenge. Finally she is converting!:jammin:

happi
08-05-2008, 11:04 AM
My son will be 1 Sept 13th and I have not given him a bottle since Friday (3 days). I have been giving him a sippy cup and he is doing fine. Is this too early to take him off of the bottle?

pb&j
08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
12 mos, the same time we stopped BFing. He had been using a sippy at meals since about 6 mos, so it wasn't a very tough transition.

jhrabosk
08-05-2008, 11:42 AM
If he's doing ok with it, then there's no such thing as too early. Lots of babies never have a bottle at all.