PDA

View Full Version : cat netting?

frzgrl2008
08-04-2008, 10:55 PM
I have 2 adorable cats and I am looking for ways to keep them out of baby crib/bouncy seat/changing table/etc. One of my friends said that she bought a cat net but the ones I have seen on the web look crappy (most looks really unsafe). It's completely unrealistic to think that the door to the nursery will just be closed all the time.

I don't think they will actually try to harm the baby, I just think they will really like her soft stuff.

Anyone have any ideas?

CAM7
08-04-2008, 11:03 PM
I"ve heard some people put screen doors on their kids bedroom doors? ...just a cheapy wooden one...

caheinz
08-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I assume your baby isn't here yet?

The cats are likely to avoid the baby. They might sleep on the baby's things while they aren't in use, but they'll clear the area once you come close with the baby!

So, unless you're worried about exposure to hair (which is going to get everywhere anyways!), there probably isn't anything to worry about!

(We have two cats -- the older one avoids the kid unless he wants attention, and the younger one goes looking for his attention (seems to go by the theory that all attention is good attention) -- both left him alone when he was an infant, though!)

KHF
08-05-2008, 07:11 AM
I agree with the PP. I wouldn't worry too much about it until the baby has arrived and you know you have an issue. We have 2 cats (well, had 2 at that time), one of them avoided DD completely (and this was the one that we had to run out of her crib before she was born). 3 years later, she's still avoiding DD. The other cat LOVED DD, but wouldn't lay on her things. If we had her laying on a blanket, he would lie right at the edge of the blanket and "guard" her. One of the many things I'll miss about having him around when DS finally arrives.

Kirsten

jhrabosk
08-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Totally agree with the PPs...my cats were mostly uninterested. One never goes near DD or her stuff, the other took a liking to the changing table (it's in the sun part of the day) and very occasionally the crib. I bought her a cat bed and put it next to the crib and that was that. :)

mdb78
08-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Our cat was interested in dd, but never got to close. He never tried to get into the crib, he actually loved being under the crib. We did catch him sleeping on the changing pad though. So what we do is just prop the pad against the wall.

happi
08-05-2008, 11:58 AM
We have 1 housecat and she has never messed with our son. She goes in his room sometimes and looks around, but doesn't get in his bed. I would wait until the baby gets here and see how the cats react.

hillview
08-05-2008, 01:01 PM
If you still want something the crib tent II is awesome. We used it to keep DS in the crib when he was older but lots of folks use it for cats.
/hillary

lizajane
08-05-2008, 01:05 PM
for the crib, try the crib tent, just google it and you will find it. we had it to keep DS1 out of DS2's crib!!! (they are 22 months apart and DS2 loved to climb into the crib to check out DS1 and since they shared a room, it scared us that he could get in there when we were asleep and "snuggle" him too much!)

to keep them off baby's stuff, put aluminum foil in the bouncy, crib, etc before baby comes. they cats will jump on the foil and not like how it sounds/feels under their feet. so they will get used to the idea that the crib, etc is not a fun place to be.

elektra
08-05-2008, 01:50 PM
I was really worried about this too, so we bought a gate for DD's room for during the day when we wanted the door open, and then we would just shut her door at night. We kept the 2 dogs and cat out of the room at all times that way.
Never had a problem.
And now that DD can run around and chase the cat, it's the cat I am worried about! Also, we don't have the gate up anymore but still close the door at night, and for naps.