PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo DS games for 5yo? Recs?

kboyle
08-05-2008, 12:29 AM
I noticed that lots of mamas suggested the Nintendo DS for both a 4yo & 8yo in the recent "portable game system" thread and it got me wondering.

I have a DS and love it, but i've gotten several games for Charlie (5) and most have been pretty hard for him...any suggestions? He's quite good with his leapster, can play games on the V.Smile pocket rated for older kids, and is great with the Wii, but I just can't seem to find a game on the DS for him.

i've read reviews that the Smart Kids/Girls/Boys playroom (or whatever it's called) game is pretty good, but that's simple stuff for him...if he's playing "mommy's pink video game" he wants a "REAL" video game.

pokemon? i've got no clue...any other suggestions?

egoldber
08-06-2008, 12:19 PM
Sarah has a DS. Hands down her favorite game is Pokemon Diamond (Pearl is the same game) but she is a big Pokemon addict and she likes to play it with her best friend on playdates. I would suggest also getting the separate strategy guide book since the game is fairly complex.

She also has the Smart Girls game, I Spy, Animal Genius and a Mario Brothers game, but Pokemon is the thing. If your kid likes Pokemon, that's what I would get. She is currently saving her allowance for the newer Pokemon DS game (I forget its name).

kboyle
08-06-2008, 12:40 PM
thanks beth! is reading required for Pokemon?

i plan on getting the mario game & i spy, i got my neice animal genius last year for xmas and i'm pretty sure she's not playing with it anymore. maybe i'll stop in blockbuster and rent pokemon and see how hard it would be for him.

anyone else?

egoldber
08-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Oh....yeah some reading is required. Her best friend is not a terrific reader, but he's on grade level (first grade). Though he's been playing it for a couple years, but has an older sister who is also into it. Renting it is a good idea.

kboyle
08-06-2008, 01:13 PM
thanks :) i know that dh's cousin's son got the pokemon game last year when he was entering kinder and couldn't read...didnt seem to be that much of an issue...i'll rent :)

new_mommy25
08-06-2008, 01:21 PM
My DS is really into Lego Indiana Jones. He's almost passed the game. He also has Sonic and Mario Olympic which he enjoys. And some Monster Truck game (sorry, don't know the name) that he plays often.

kboyle
08-06-2008, 01:25 PM
i got sonic & mario olympics for myself earlier in the summer and neither ds or i was into it...i do have lego indiana jones for the ds and i just wasn't as fond of it as the lego star wars...though, it should be easy enough for him to play...i'll have to see if he can do it...i totally forgot i had it!

Babywhite
08-15-2008, 10:32 PM
Are most of the Nintendo games educational like Leapster?
TIA!

Tondi G
08-16-2008, 12:33 AM
MARIO PARTY DS! It was one of the first games my son got and it is great!

He has a couple of Pokemon games too but it was a pain till he could read well cause he kept asking us to help him read. Now that he is reading well it's all good!

He has a game called Drawn to Life too that your kiddo might like. I wonder about the Wall E game too? Gotta check out some reviews before we invest in a new game!

new_mommy25
08-16-2008, 02:50 AM
I wonder about the Wall E game too? Gotta check out some reviews before we invest in a new game!

The newspaper reviwed the Wall-E game recently and said that the DS/Wii version was better suited for kids 7-8 and up. The Wall-E Leapster game is better for the 4-8 year olds. It's suppsed to be fun. :)

kboyle
08-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Are most of the Nintendo games educational like Leapster?
TIA!

really, none of the nintendo games are "educational" like the leapster games...pretty much they are just video games :) brain age and stuff like that can be considered "educational" but not in the learning genre like leapfrog stuff. and anything in that style would have to be for those that can at least read.

luvmypeanut
08-17-2008, 03:20 PM
DS has Mariokart, Cars, Mater, Smartboys and Carnival Games and plays them all. DD has Smartgirls, Little Mermaid, Disney Princesses and Petz Bunnyz. I find that once you play together with them a few times, they figure it out.

kboyle
08-17-2008, 03:23 PM
DS has Mariokart, Cars, Mater, Smartboys and Carnival Games and plays them all. DD has Smartgirls, Little Mermaid, Disney Princesses and Petz Bunnyz. I find that once you play together with them a few times, they figure it out.

wow, so at 3, dd can figure out those games? i've been debating what to do for ds2 (who is 3). i can't decide if i should get another ds for him. though i'm sure he'd be able to figure out smartboys/kids and the crayola game.

we have a leapster, so i didn't want to get another of those.

thanks!