PDA

View Full Version : Good flooring for Playroom? Anyone have Amitco floors?

joyful mommy
08-05-2008, 11:13 AM
We want to install flooring in our basement recreation room. I posted a while back, but we were delayed in this project and now I have new ideas. Have any of you used Amtico brand flooring? What is your opinion of it? We're considering the tiles that look like some type of stone.

I'm looking for something easy to clean that really doesn't show dirt easily and that is pretty much indestructible. The room has wood panelling on most walls plus red brick fireplace and hearth/wall area surrounding it. There are four entrances: stairs down from main living level; garage; outside/patio; laundry room/work room.

In the winter I want our toddler/preschool DSs and friends to be able to ride trikes, little coupes, etc. in there. In warmer months, we track in and out the patio door frequently. I want DCs to be able to do projects, play dough, paint, etc. there too. I'd like to keep the look of the natural materials already in the room -- it is warm and soothing.

In the hot summer our DSs love to be in this room as it is somewhat shady, easy to access the outside and cooler than the rest of the house. This Amtico seems that it is warmer to touch than real stone (nice in winter) and probably sturdier in the long run.

I'd love BTDT advice here! Thanks.

StantonHyde
08-05-2008, 02:56 PM
We did Pergo flooring in our playroom.

joyful mommy
08-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. How has the Pergo held up? Have you had it in long? Does your playroom get heavy traffic (foot, toddler vehicles, etc.)?

joyful mommy
08-06-2008, 02:15 PM
bumping ...

WatchingThemGrow
08-06-2008, 09:06 PM
We have a patio turned laundry/entry room that gets a lot of playtime/the occasional dinner/general hang out time. We put FLOR in there, because I wanted something cozy enough for sitting on that was also good on sound and easy to clean/replace as needed.

When someone's DC spilled chocolate ice cream on, or we dumped a load of detergent on it, or muddy shoes came inside, we just picked up one or two tiles and washed them in the sink. They dried and got popped right back into place with no issues.

Have you looked at that?

joyful mommy
08-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks for this suggestion. Yes, we did look at FLOR and I originally thought it was what I wanted. Then I began to wonder how easy it would be to keep clean, even though I really liked the idea of being able to pop a new tile in if necessary, I didn't want to have to do that too often. I guess I didn't realize you could just pop them out and clean a few and put them back in without it ever being noticed. Thanks for the tip!

I've thought that I would put an area rug in the area in front of the hearth where we have some seating and leave the rest in some natural looking material such as imitation stone or wood or something. Somehow, I'm thinking now that imitation stone might be better (thus Amtico?). Tough on wear, easy to clean, natural look, warmer to touch than actual stone and sound deadening properties. All that said, it's apparently not an inexpensive alternative.

If this room wasn't so open to the outside so frequently, I'm pretty sure I'd be using the FLOR. You've given me more to think about now though. Thanks again. :)

WatchingThemGrow
08-06-2008, 10:24 PM
DD rides her plasma car in the tiny space out there, and one of her dolls was apparently riding the Kettler on the FLOR this morning. Ours is a butterscotch/wheat color, so real dirt just kinda blends in. I forgot to mention that at the entrance (this is really the main entrance for us into the house), I have an entry rug to catch the big stuff. You can definitely put little rugs on top of it at those entry points.