PDA

View Full Version : Winter baby - stroller help!

kelleita
08-05-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi ladies,

I've been lurking on these boards for quite a while and researching the strollers you've all been talking about. Here's my situation, let me know what stroller you think would be best for me:

1. Our baby will be born in December and we live in Wisconsin. This means that during the first 4+ months, we'll be dealing with snow and ice.
2. I do a lot of fast walking with our dog, and would like something that I can use with a fast pace and preferably one-handed.
3. I'm not totally opposed to getting one stroller for the walking I do and another umbrella stroller later when the baby is older.

Here's what I've looked at:

1. Easy Walker Sky (not too many reviews out there)
2. Baby Jogger City Series (DH loves the easy fold; I'm not wild about the look of it. I don't think the Mini would work for the walking I want to do though... and I'm not sure about it handling the snow/ice.)
3. Mountain Buggy Urban Single (Looks cool, but can't find to "try out")
4. Bob Revolution AW
5. Uppababy Vista (worried that not having air-filled tires could be difficult)

Thanks so much!!

Kell

bubbaray
08-05-2008, 12:51 PM
MBUS, ideally with a bassinette if that's in the budget.

ThreeofUs
08-05-2008, 12:56 PM
We live in NE Ohio, in the "snow belt", and have used a Bob for DS with great success.

swissair81
08-06-2008, 10:00 PM
I live in Michigan. We probably have similar weather around here. I love my MBUS & wouldn't trade it for anything.

MontrealMum
08-06-2008, 10:10 PM
I live in Montreal and was able to use our BOB on and off this past winter with my DS when many other moms were trapped inside. We have quite severe winters in QC, though, and last year was worse than most; there were many days I was not able to get out at all. I grew up in MI and have an idea of the type of winter weather you must get, and I think you'd do fine with just about any AT stroller in terms of plowing through snow and one-handed steering. Keep in mind that metal parts will rust due to moisture and road salt, so the more expensive strollers will hold up better/last longer.

Celsior
08-07-2008, 01:14 AM
My DS was born last October in Chicagoland. We had a particularly harsh winter, and we found ourselves at home indoors a lot. Based on my experience, I strongly suggest getting a Snap-N-Go type infant seat carrier (I got Graco's SnugRider coupled with the SafeSeat1.), and simply punt on your stroller decision until spring. By the time your child is 6 months old, you should be able to decide on your first real stroller. FWIW, I just got a Zippy for my DS. But if your heart's set on an AT stroller, I suggest the Mutsy 4Rider Light, which IMO is a do-it-all stroller for every climate.

gatorsmom
08-07-2008, 02:06 AM
We live in Minnesota and after much research I bought the Mountain Buggy Urban Single (MBUS). I loved it. I didn't get the carrycot- just the carseat adapter. That made it almost like a Snap and Go- I'd just take the infant carrier out of the car and snap it into the MBUS and away we'd go. For those first few months in the snow that was wonderful. It can definitely be pushed with one hand. Heck, even the Mountain Buggy urban Double can be pushed one handed. It's great in the snow too. Just a fantastic stroller.

As for finding one in real life to try, unless you live near Milwaukee or maybe Madison, I'd guess you won't be able to find one. In the past 5 years that I've lived here in the twin cities I've only seen one other Mountain Buggy. Fancy strollers from New Zealand just aren't that common around here. If you live nearer to Chicago, you would probably be able to find one there. hth!

strollerqueen
08-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Get a pram with big, fixed wheels,bouncy suspension, and a full canopy. Make sure you have a cozy footmuff, boot, and raincover (to keep the snow and wind away.) That's what they walk with in northern Europe in the winter, no matter how bad the weather is. Those beauties are tanks and will plow through snow while keeping your baby warm and cozy! (um, the prams, I mean, not the Scandinavians, Austrians, and Germans, lol!)

doberbrat
08-11-2008, 10:29 AM
‘kay, I know this is the stroller section but honestly, for winter weather and a nb, I REALLY preferred to wear my dd in a pouch and walk the dogs that way.

First off, she was warmer - I put a fleece snow suit on her and tucked her under part of my jacket. She was protected from the wind/snow etc. and I found it much easier to walk the dogs and babywear rather than push a stroller.

But, if you really want to push a stroller through snow/ice, I agree w/sq that a nice pram w/fixed wheels is your best option. The bassinets are generally larger and you’ll get through the winter in them as opposed ot some of the other carry cots which are teeny tiny.

I just saw the mb carrycot irl for the first time and I couldn’t believe how small it was. And my dd was 5lbs at birth so its not like I gave birth to a baby that could fit in 3mo sizes immediately. Kwim?

Just my $0.02 worth.

neeleymartin
08-11-2008, 10:22 PM
we have a bob revolution not the aw (not recommended to us b/c of salt air/beach terrain and salty roads in the winter). apparently these aluminum wheels will/do rust. we are on cape cod.

we love the bob!!! steers with one hand easily. we also bought a lambswool snuggle bub. we bought the bigger size knowing that he would be swimming in it, but would last through this coming winter as well. we just wrapped the heck out of him and stuffed the extra space with fleece blankies.

good luck.
n