PDA

View Full Version : Hypnobirthing video segment on Foxnews.com

brittone2
08-05-2008, 03:10 PM
I only read the health headlines there LOL, but since this topic came up recently I thought maybe some moms here would be interested in checking it out ;)

foxnews.com and then scroll down to the health section and look toward the left hand margin for the video link.

nov04
08-05-2008, 03:31 PM
I think its a pretty interesting intro for the uninitiated. I did chuckle over the "new" tag. I took classes 4 years ago. Hopefully it will spur interested moms to research.

SnuggleBuggles
08-05-2008, 03:44 PM
I tried to watch it but it didn't start up for me (old computer, slow connection). But, I saw the "new" in the headline too and LOL'ed. :)

Beth

brittone2
08-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I think its a pretty interesting intro for the uninitiated. I did chuckle over the "new" tag. I took classes 4 years ago. Hopefully it will spur interested moms to research.

:yeahthat:

Oh, I agree...silly comment. DS was born using Hypnobirthing back in early 04 (he's almost 4.5 now). It wasn't earth shattering, but I was surprised to see it on their site.

randomkid
08-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Interesting side note - the skeptical OB on the video was my OB/GYN for a year. When I went part-time and was put on DH's insurance, my OB who delivered DD did not take his insurance. I switched to Dr. Serrao because a friend of mine liked him and he had delivered both of her DDs. I went to him twice - 6 month post-partum follow up and then annual visit. When I went for my annual visit, I discussed IUDs with him. He asked if I was finished having babies. I hesitated, but said "yes". I would love to have another, but life and financial circumstances make that very difficult. He starts lecturing me on how I should have another and how I'll regret it if I don't. I was nearly in tears by the time I left. I told him I work PT and prefer it that way. He said something like "Well, you may have to work and be away from them more, but it's worth it." Huh??? He's a physician and I'm sure makes pretty decent money. He has 4 kids and what do you want to bet his DW is a SAHM? Whatever!

This year, I went back (against my better judgement). He now has a spa and does all this beautification stuff outside the realm of being an OB. I waited 2 HOURS and still had not been called back. Women would go back and an hour later were still in the back. I don't have 3-4 hours to sit in the office to have an exam. While waiting, I went outside and called my previous OB. She is now taking DH's insurance, so I made an appt. When I went back inside, they told me the OB had been called out for a delivery. OK, fine with me - see ya later - never went back!

Sorry for the rant, but his opinion doesn't mean squat to me.

ETA: He is very supportive of breastfeeding - I'll give him that.

brittone2
08-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry for the rant, but his opinion doesn't mean squat to me.

ETA: He is very supportive of breastfeeding - I'll give him that.
Small world!! LOL. Sorry that he made you feel like your own decision wasn't the "right" one. That's terrible! :hug:

His skepticism was kind of amusing. My midwife with DS's birth was a wee bit skeptical about being able to "breathe the baby down" (when we went over my birth plan a few weeks before I went into labor) and while she was great for 90% of the birth, during the pushing phase she ended up doing counting/coaching (along with the labor nurse), they pulled my legs back, and I was on my back, despite saying in my birth plan I didn't want those things (and there was no need for any urgency or anything). It was like she had made up her mind in advance about how my pushing phase would go no matter what I wanted. (and that was with a midwife!). It was the only part of DS's birth that was kind of irritating. I felt that I might not have torn (teeny tear, but a tear nevertheless) if they would have followed what I wanted.

With DD's birth, I was at a freestanding birth center (different midwife, different state, etc.) and I had discussed the pushing phase of DS's birth with them and how the midwife at the other practice just sort of ended up overriding my birthplan and that in retrospect, I wondered how things would have gone had we followed it. The midwife I had for DD's birth was supportive of the Hypnobirthing "breathing the baby down" and used Hypno language, etc. for her birth. She also worked w/ me and I pushed in sidelying, no hold your breath and count stuff, etc. and no tears :) She was awesome.

That was my long-winded way of saying that even one of my midwives was kind of annoying about Hypnobirthing ;) Fortunately I was blessed to have two easy, awesome births so it was pretty irrelevant. I just didn't like that she told me *beforehand* I would want to push and then kind of overrode everything in labor and everyone started counting and holding my legs back despite my requests otherwise :32:

edited to fix some typos