PDA

View Full Version : BumGenius at Target?

kijip
08-05-2008, 05:01 PM
I heard that some Targets are going to start carrying bumgenius cloth diapers to test the market. Kind of cool if stores started carrying cloth diapers that can actually be used as cloth diapers (unlike gerber prefolds or what not). Has anyone seen them at their local Target? I think I might buy some there if I do see them just to show that there is a market for them (I have to go there to get school supplies for work this week).

LBW
08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
It would be great if they started selling them! I'll look next time I'm in Target.

saschalicks
08-05-2008, 06:41 PM
I know Costco.com started selling them. It would be great if Target did too.

eidean
08-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Target is actually where I first saw the Bumgenius. I was registering two Saturdays ago and found them (there were only three on the rack), and that was my first introduction to the one size diapers. It was a few days after this that I started doing online research into cloth diapers.

They show up on my registry really strange--it doesn't say Bumgenius anywhere, it says
RSBLE DIAPER CTTN BABIES DIAPR ASST
and it also didn't keep track of my color choices. It's also only available in store, so no info on them on my online registry.

The only thing though is that when I went back to look at them again (b/c I wasn't sure what brand they were, though I was pretty sure it had to be Bumgenius) I noticed that they don't appear to be the 3.0 version. The picture on the back of the package shows a slit for the pocket opening whereas the picture online of the 3.0 shows a flap that covers that slit, so I think they must be either 1.0 or 2.0s. At least, that's how it is at my Target. Oh, and this was a brand new Supertarget that had only been open for a few days when I went. I may take them off my registry and just buy the 3.0s somewhere else, (actually I'll probably do a sample pack first) but I do think it's cool that they have them. I was vastly disappointed when I discovered that Babies R Us is not remotely helpful when it comes to cloth diapers.

Puddy73
08-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Cool! I haven't seen them at our local Target yet, but I would love it if they did start carrying them. Perhaps people would stop looking at me like I have two heads when I tell them that we use CDs.

kijip
08-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Perhaps people would stop looking at me like I have two heads when I tell them that we use CDs.

:yeahthat: My favorite is the couple of people who have seen our growing stash in our downstairs office and said "oh, you'll regret that. I don't think that will last long". Dudes, I've already BTDT without my own washer for most of the time T was diapered. Having my own washer this time will be like sailing away to fantasy island or something.

american_mama
08-06-2008, 05:36 PM
>>>>They show up on my registry really strange--it doesn't say Bumgenius anywhere, it says
RSBLE DIAPER CTTN BABIES DIAPR ASST
...I noticed that they don't appear to be the 3.0 version. The picture on the back of the package shows a slit for the pocket opening whereas the picture online of the 3.0 shows a flap that covers that slit, so I think they must be either 1.0 or 2.0s.

Cotton Babies is the manufacturer of bumGenius, so that means the registry description makes a little more sense, although why they don't just say "bumGenius reusable cloth diaper" is beyond me.

I have a version 1.0 and the slit has a flap, exactly the same as in this photo of the 3.0 on the cottonbabies website http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=98&products_id=1279.
So if the photo at Target has just a slit with no flap, I'd say the photo is either wrong or misleading, or there is a special Target version of the bumGenius diaper. I suspect it's the first, a misleading photo: if you notice in the Cotton Babies link above, there is a small inset photo on the left that shows just a slit. Maybe they highlighted that for the Target packaging to make it more obvious to the general public that you have to insert something into the diaper to make it work.

o_mom
08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
This thread is driving me nuts... One Target in the area has a shelf tag for these, but none in stock. I'm going to be on pins and needles until they come in. :) This $5 off $50 coupon is just burning a hole in my pocket!

natness
08-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Chicago Target on Elston has them. I was pretty surprised. They were on a sort of hidden endcap.

kijip
08-14-2008, 10:22 PM
You'd think this area would be a prime candidate to sell these at a store like Target.

jesserina
10-09-2008, 09:19 AM
The Shelby Target in Michigan has them. I bought one to 'play' with before ordering a stash from online.

They only had 5 on the rack but hey, I am glad they did! I like what I tried and now plan to buy 24 online.

I am currently using the prefolds and covers and have been fine with that (my daughter is 6 weeks old) so these will be even better!

rovergirl
10-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Anyone but me wondering if the quality might go down by being "mass marketed" to that degree?
Otherwise - I think it's great for popular stores to get on board with good cloth diapers.
We LOVE our BG 3.0s here.
I just smile as I pass the diaper aisle at Walmart thinking of all the money I'm saving :yay:

Tracy

elaineandmichaelsmommy
10-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I saw some the other day at target. I purchased ds a happy heiny diaper at our local resale shop one day when we ran out of diapers while there. After that experience with the cloth diaper I decided we'd stick with disp. but that's just us and frankly I do admire anyone who has it in them to be so committed to cloth diapering.

In looking at the bumgenius diapers I do have a question that maybe you guys can answer.

How do you use a diaper so big and not get leaks?! I mean i understand the idea about the snaps and everything but really-isn't that an awful lot of fabric and room. Especially with the consistancy that poo tends to have for babies under 1 year of age. I guess I'm just skeptical of the product but still glad to see it available on a mass basis like this again after so many years of disp. being the only option offered by the major retail chains.

edurnemk
10-11-2008, 11:33 PM
How do you use a diaper so big and not get leaks?! I mean i understand the idea about the snaps and everything but really-isn't that an awful lot of fabric and room. Especially with the consistancy that poo tends to have for babies under 1 year of age. I guess I'm just skeptical of the product but still glad to see it available on a mass basis like this again after so many years of disp. being the only option offered by the major retail chains.

I actually get a lot fewer leaks with the Bumgenius diapers than with disposables. They make a very good seal around the leg and at the back, unlike disposables. I started using the one size diapers when my son was 4 months old, and I love them, I would never go back to disposables. I use the all-in-ones for day(the organic ones, one size) and the pockets with two inserts at night, that's the only thing that will last through the night with my son, with disposables I would find him soaked at 4 am every night.
Have you tried them? I find the all-in-ones less bulky than the pocket ones, but they both fit pretty well. Just make sure that none of the inner fleece shows around the legs when you put them on. On very rare occassions we'll have a leak (pee), but never a poo leak.

Page
10-12-2008, 12:06 PM
This whole thread really addresses a thought I've had for quite a while now. There is such a NICHE for CDs, I don't get why they aren't sold in more places like Target.

Although, that really wouldn't be good for all those WAHMs, huh?

Anyway, people (including DH and my MIL) are just WAITING for me to be done with CD...and DD is only 5 months! We live in CA and not a single person I know does CDS. I wish I was skilled enough to make them myself bcz I think someone could really do well at in my area.

Just my thoughts.:wink2: