PDA

View Full Version : Art supplies: Since people with little kids might not know this

kijip
08-06-2008, 01:21 AM
Buy your art supplies now for the year. Buy extras for gifts. The back to school loss leaders make markers, paper, pencils, crayons all but free. I did not realize this till I went to fill T's Kindy list since I have never had to buy school supplies like this before this time of the year. Markers for 68 cents, pads of paper for 10 cents, colored pencils for 68 cents, pencil boxes for a quarter, crayons for 27 cents. Coloring books and work books for 50 cents. I am good on $10 consumable kid's gifts that only cost me a few dollars for a year. I got great deals at Target, Office Max and similar stores. I wish I had realized this when he was 2 or 3. Also, they make great donations to children's charities. And Target does not have limits (like limit 3, limit 5).

lisams
08-06-2008, 01:41 AM
Yes!! I always stock up on crayons, colored pencils, markers, drawing/construction paper, water color paint, tape (DD loves to use tape!), glue, child scissors. It's all so much cheaper this time of year and what we don't use we donate to the children's hospital.

citymama
08-06-2008, 01:43 AM
Thanks! I had no idea.

1964pandora
08-06-2008, 01:58 AM
Yeah, thanks because my kids are not "school age" yet and I didn't really think about this. I'll hit Target this week!

Susan

neeter
08-06-2008, 07:16 AM
I usually stock up on all this stuff for goody bags!!

willow33
08-06-2008, 07:22 AM
Good to know! I bought the supplies that ds needs for K, but I probably should stock up for the whole year.

o_mom
08-06-2008, 07:50 AM
You can also stock up on some of the bigger items when Target goes clearance in a few weeks. I got pencil sharpeners and some other supplies at 50% last year. Backpacks and lunchboxes (including funtainers) will also go on sale (30/50/75%). I wish I would have stocked up as we need another backpack and there are always charities looking for them. Someone got an entire display box of crayons at 75% off for our preschool last year.

BeachBum
08-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Thanks. I hadn't thought of this either. :)

bethie_73
08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
We already had art supplies, but I did stock up on the supplies for back to school donations. Its nice because our church gives a list of what the kids really need so I can stock up, and I bought 2 big bags of stuff for $20. Not alot of money for me, but I know others will really appreciate it.

brittone2
08-06-2008, 11:27 AM
This time of the year is when we replenish as needed as well (gluesticks, glue, markers, cheap watercolor paints, etc.). We also pick up extras and donate to charity (I know in my area the grocery stores, etc. tend to have boxes out where people can drop off back to school supply donations).

It is a great time to grab stocking stuffers also (I usually do some replenishing of art supplies around the holidays, so I just hit up my attic stash from Back To School shopping deals).

I'll be stalking Funtainers, etc. in a few weeks. Thanks for that tip! I want to pick some up but we don't need them for back to school since we homeschool.

Corie
08-06-2008, 01:39 PM
If you can wait until after school starts, then you can get
some awesome deals.

Last year, I bought 10 pair of the children's Fiskars scissors
at 47 cents each.

For under $5, I got 10 pair of Fiskars scissors. Perfect for
our Daisy meetings!

sue_g
08-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Corie,
Do you remember where you got them?

KrisM
08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
And, there are some other deals to make the sales even better.

I shop Meijer, so that's where I did these.

Meijer has 24.5 oz Pert shampoo for $2.99. Last Sunday, there was a $3 coupon for this size Pert. Free. Buy $5 of Pert and $5 of school supplies on the same receipt and you can use a mail in rebate for the $5 in school supplies. Two coupons makes the Pert free.

Also, Meijer has buy $15 of Crayola, Papermate, Sharpie and instantly save $5. So, buy Pert and $15 of Crayola. I got boxes of crayons and markers and 2 bottles of shampoo for $5 or so.

Kellogg's had an insert in Sunday's paper, too. Buy 10 products on the same receipt and you can get $10 by mail in rebate. There were coupons for lots of products. Meijer is also offering spend $10 in Kellogg's and save $10 on a backpack. Backpacks are 40% off this week. I bought fruit snacks and cereal for $22, used $5 in coupons, got a free backpack, and will get $10 by mail, for a total of only $7 out-of-pocket.

hollybloom24
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Toys R Us in Framingham, MA had amazing deals on school supplies yesterday. 24 box of Crayola crayons for $.25, packs of washable Crayola markers for $1. Lots of other good deals too!

kijip
08-06-2008, 06:29 PM
Last year, I bought 10 pair of the children's Fiskars scissors
at 47 cents each.

Awesome deal. :cheerleader1:

Corie
08-06-2008, 06:48 PM
Corie,
Do you remember where you got them?

Not sure if I understand what you mean.

Do you mean where in the store did I find them?

Or which Target I got them?

Let me know!! :)

mamaoftwins
08-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks for posting this info!! You rock. I had no idea that this stuff could get so cheap, with my guys being so little, and never really purchasing much in the way of art supplies before. But now I know for the future!!!

jd11365
08-06-2008, 09:03 PM
This is also a great opportunity to donate to school supply drives. For just pennies, you can donate folders, crayons, rulers, glue, pencil boxes, etc. to needy kids.

LD92599
08-06-2008, 09:31 PM
I was just in Staples with the ads from these stores and saved myself alot of running around for just a few things per store:

kMart
Walgreens (Poland Spring Water!)
Toys R Us (everything Crayola - regular crayons, smock, washable large crayons..you name it)

Got it all in Staples and got staples rewards too!

I also use the items in DS's goody bags for his birthday in March; tricky tray donations for church to the arts & crafts themed basket for both the winter fair and spring dinner; and misc throughout the year.

Also in Target if the school supply aisle is out of stock for what you're looking for, look in the regular office supplies aisle - i found that aisle clean, organized and fully stocked w/ the sale items (mainly roseart watercolors for 50ยข).

Corie
08-06-2008, 10:02 PM
Always remember to check your markers before purchasing. Many times
the washable markers are NOT on sale. And I only buy the washable
kind.

sue_g
08-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Not sure if I understand what you mean.

Do you mean where in the store did I find them?

Or which Target I got them?

Let me know!! :)

Sorry, I meant what store did you get them in. I did not know you got them at Target.

Thanks.

LD92599
08-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Always remember to check your markers before purchasing. Many times
the washable markers are NOT on sale. And I only buy the washable
kind.

Washables are on sale in Toys R Us this week...i think?!? I price matched a ton of stuff in Staples tonight. I am pretty sure I saw washables in the TRU ad.

kransden
08-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the reminder! I always buy extras for the school and for her birthday, BUT I forgot I am going to try to start a Girl Scout troop! We'll need those cheap supplies!

Corie
08-07-2008, 04:35 PM
Sorry, I meant what store did you get them in. I did not know you got them at Target.

Thanks.

I'm such an idiot! I didn't even mention the store I bought
them! I just always assume Target, how sad is that?

I got them at Target after school started. Great deals to be
had after school starts. :)