PDA

View Full Version : train table advice

doodler
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Drawers or no drawers? Which do you have and which is better for organization and play? Any particular brand hold up or not? I may try buying second hand. Thanks!
Deborah

hillview
08-06-2008, 02:32 PM
Love my Nilo table. I have the bins under it as well. Holds up very well and we use it for puzzles, legos and trains as well as art etc.
HTH
/hillary

brittone2
08-06-2008, 03:28 PM
It will soon be the season for the Kidkraft train tables to come out at Costco. We bought ours 3 years ago and we're still happy with it!

THe train set that comes w/ it is generally not high quality, but the train table itself is well made and I love having the trundles (we keep unit blocks and train stuff in them).

Several BBB members have the Kidkraft table. The only downside is that it isn't real wood, it is laminate. The deal at Costco is great though. If I remember right their price was the same or close to the price for *just* the table (no set, no trundles) elsewhere.

They usually put their holiday stuff out starting in Sept or so I think.

I've seen the Nilo tables IRL and I think those are great too.

eta: if you opt for the Costco table, they tend to sell out fairly quickly in some stores. In the past they ran about $130 with the trundles and the train set. You can search here for Kidkraft Train or similar terms and read past reviews.
I see all kinds of tables (Nilo, Brio, Kidkraft, etc.) on Craigslist pretty regularly.

KrisM
08-06-2008, 04:34 PM
We have the kidkraft table (not from Cosco) with no trundles. We have 6 dishpans underneath - 3 per side. I have them labeled - balls, small toys, cars, puzzles, trains, tracks. Of course, we could now have all 6 full of trains and tracks, but 2 years ago, we only had enough for 2 bins.

I like the small bins because: they were cheap $1.99 each!, I can pick them up and take them to another room to collect things, I can label them.

carolinamama
08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Love our Nilo table. We don't have the storage bins though, just largish Rubbermaid containers underneath holding spare trains and tracks. It works fine for us since it's all in our bonus room and not in the middle of the living room or anything.

brittone2
08-06-2008, 06:00 PM
We have the kidkraft table (not from Cosco) with no trundles. We have 6 dishpans underneath - 3 per side. I have them labeled - balls, small toys, cars, puzzles, trains, tracks. Of course, we could now have all 6 full of trains and tracks, but 2 years ago, we only had enough for 2 bins.

I like the small bins because: they were cheap $1.99 each!, I can pick them up and take them to another room to collect things, I can label them.

Great idea! I use dishpans in closets, in our upstairs armoire (where I have homeschoolish books divided up into them), etc. and I think they are such a great organizing device. So much cheaper than baskets (not as cute, but in a lot of places in the home, who cares??) and very effective. What a great idea to use them under the train table.