PDA

View Full Version : How can I learn to cut hair?

gatorsmom
08-06-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm so tired of taking my boys to get their hair cut and wasting money on terrible haircuts. In the next couple of years I'll have 3 boys who will need their hair cut every month to 6 weeks. I'd rather just do it myself!! Do you think that there is someplace that offers a haircutting course? Or would I have to enroll in like a beauty school or something? I'm not talking fancy or trendy haircuts, just something basic. Would a community college offer that?

randomkid
08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Personally, I don't know where to go for that, but I know you can do it. Recently, there was an article in Parade Magazine about a family with 4 boys and how they save money. The Mom took a class in cutting hair and cuts her boys' hair and her husband's hair. There was a picture of the family and they looked pretty good to me.

Maybe try the community college or if there is a cosmetology school in your area, check with them. If they don't offer such a class, maybe they can tell you where to find one.

Good Luck!

o_mom
08-06-2008, 07:33 PM
After our long-time stylist quit, I was desperate to find someone to cut their hair. Then I took them to a kids cut place as they were getting shaggy and paid $30+ (two kids) for really bad haircuts since they wouldn't sit still. I figured I could give them a bad cut for free. :)

I took the plunge a year ago and bought a haircutting kit from Target. I then ordered the 1 1/2" clipper guide from Wahl. Basically, to do a 'little boy cut', I clipper the bottom third with the 7/8" guide, the middle third with the 1" guide and then do the top with the 1 1/2" guide. After the clippers, I use the scissors to even it up on top - just make it all the same length. Trim around the ears and back of the neck and it's done.

We are experimenting now with letting DS2's get long on top and so far, so good. I find that having it trimmed neatly around the ears and the back of the neck makes it look good no matter how uneven the top is. ;)

m448
08-06-2008, 07:41 PM
hubby was getting tired of having to make appts and pay for shoddy cuts so I bought one of those deluxe wahl kits that also came with a DVD showing various cuts. I cut DH's hair then started doing ds1's and am also doing ds2s. I've recently begun cutting my own hair since discovering various methods for curly hair (both curly girl and a modified long layered look) so I'm pretty sure I can handle anything this little girl will have on her head. Since I do a cut modified to my curl pattern I do a much better job than the pricey stylists I used to see.

ThreeofUs
08-06-2008, 08:31 PM
It's as easy as googling "how to cut hair" - lots of resources pop up.

I cut DH and DS's hair, and always cut my own hair until I found a genius who doesn't make me look like Bozo the Clown. The trick is to eye in where you want hair longer and where shorter, and how you want the transition to look.

On DS, I use a 1" or longer comb up top, a 3/4" comb in a small "transition" area around the top, and then a 1/2" from an imaginary line I "see" from one temple-top around to the other. It's fast, especially if DS is watching a video, and super easy to touch up flaws.

The deluxe Wahl kits are really good and useful, and also have pretty complete directions with them. And there are good deals out there: I got a complete kit from Amazon (on sale) for $20 a couple of months ago. (It makes less noise than the professional-quality clippers I have for DH.) That's one haircut for DS, so it's already paid for itself.

Good luck!

1964pandora
08-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I learned from catching this "home haircutting tips" segment on the Rachael Ray show:

http://www.rachaelrayshow.com/show/segments/view/home-haircutting-tips-2/

I never cut anyone's hair prior to watching that clip, and I am very surprised by how great my boys' haircuts turn out, if I do say so myself.

Susan

khm
08-06-2008, 11:32 PM
I cut my son's with clippers. He screamed bloody murder at any shop, so I gave up.

It's easy for the style he wears. I cut shorter in the back up to about ear level, a bit longer on top and call it a day. It is just a basic "boy" cut. Nothing shaggy, trendy or complicated.

kijip
08-07-2008, 12:23 AM
I have clippers, a few guards in 1/4 inch increments and a pair of professional hair scissors for the edges. I've been winging it for almost 3 years and it looks pretty good. A little longer around the crown, a little shorter on the sides. It's not that hard, if you prefer a super short cut (which I do so I don't have to do it quite as often).

lizajane
08-07-2008, 10:21 AM
i just paid attention when other people were cutting my hair, the kids' hair and DH's hair. i can cut all the boys' hair now. (including DH, i mean!) i still take them out sometimes because they think it is fun. but i can cut it all at home.

brittone2
08-07-2008, 10:24 AM
DH does his own and DS's (I used to do DS's with scissors and it usually came out just fine.). DH uses clippers now for his own hair and DS's. He just does it one length all over I think, but it ends up looking fine IMO.