PDA

View Full Version : Restaurant Question!

fivi2
08-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Yet another question - it is amazing how such a short trip requires such planning!

We are staying at the Grand Floridian. Arrival day is a Thursday (mid Nov). We will be with family in the morning and checking in sometime after lunch. We aren't going to a park that day. It will be me, dh, my parents (kind of picky eaters), and my twin dds who will be almost 3 yo. (they do fine in restaurants for a reasonable amount of time).

So what would you do on arrival day - go to DTD and eat there? Where - all the restaurants seem to get pretty dismal reviews. Is there anything for little ones to do in DTD?

OR - check in, explore our hotel a while and then go to another resort for dinner? (leaning toward this idea). Which one would you go to? My thoughts are Kona at the Poly, WCC at Wilderness, or Boma at AKL. Which of these would be a better experience for picky gps and two toddlers?

I know I may have trouble getting any ADRs at this point (Nov trip) but since it isn't a really busy time and these aren't character meals I thought I may have a shot!

Any ideas?

ETA: I am fully open to any other suggestions or ideas - this was just what I came up with. But I haven't been - so happy to hear any thoughts!

TIA!

bnme
08-07-2008, 11:44 AM
I havent eaten at any of those restaurants, so I can't comment on that.

DTD is mostly stores. There is a train ride and the Lego store as a diversion for kids. Can easily kill an hour or 2 there. I do prefer to go later in trip so I can shop for little things to take home, since I always forget in the parks. We ate at Raglan Road, an Irish pub type of place. We all really liked it. Not really a kid atmosphere but our kids were fine.

If it were me, I would explore your resort and do the pool. Then go to dinner on the monorail. I would pick Chef Mickey's or Ohana for dinner just for the fun-factor. But Kona is apposed to be great.

Have fun!

fivi2
08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Okay - answering my own question... I was able to get ADRs for Kona that evening which seems to get the best reviews (except Boma, but not sure the parents will dig the buffet). BUT - that means I won't be visiting either AKL or WL (or DTD). Is that something I should be concerned about?

Right now I have:

Arrival Day - 6:30 pm at Kona (so check in at GF, wander around, walk over to Poly to visit and eat)

Next day- Grand Fl Cafe at 6:50 pm (we will be at MK that day which closes at 7:00 and we are staying at GF, so this seemed like the best bet with tired toddlers)

Last day - Donald's Breakfast at Tusker House at 8:25 am (AK opens at 9:00).

Is this too much? The only character is Tusker which I may cancel if the girls seem scared of the characters at the park, or if we think we are too tired to get up for it. I worry that it will be too much on the MK day, but we have to eat somewhere... The CS at GF has some really bad reviews. I am already afraid of what lunch at the park will be like after looking at menus, so I don't really want to eat dinner there too. But I am concerned about toddler meltdowns! Any thoughts?

ETA - Thanks Donna! I think we posted at the same time! I thought about Chef Mickeys or Ohana, but the food doesn't seem like something the gps would like. And since they are paying... :)

Momof3Labs
08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
So on the second day, you plan to do MK all day and then do a sit-down-order-off-the-menu meal? I wouldn't; that's a meltdown in the making. I'd do a bigger meal at lunchtime (it's a nice mid-day break) at someplace like the Crystal Palace or Liberty Tree Tavern, and just plan on counter service at dinner time (might be a good time to go to DTD - we like Wolfgang Puck's Express and Earl of Sandwich). Or, if you must do a sit-down dinner on that day, pick a buffet or a family-style meal where the food comes out quickly and you can be out of there in 45 minutes if the kids are crabby.

egoldber
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
you plan to do MK all day and then do a sit-down-order-off-the-menu meal? I wouldn't; that's a meltdown in the making. I'd do a bigger meal at lunchtime

I completely agree with Lori. I much prefer CS lunches to dinners for that reason. Actually we will often do the last "lunch" seating (around 2:30 or so) so that lunch doesn't interfere with our touring plans. We eat a heavy snack at 10:30 or 11 to tide us over and then just eat a very light dinner.

I've never eaten at Kona, GF Cafe or O'Hana. I've had the character meal dinner at 1900 Park Fare and I think its one of the better ones. I've not had Chef Mickey for dinner, but I can't imagine their buffet not appealing to picky eaters. What exactly do you mean by picky?

fivi2
08-07-2008, 02:17 PM
I guess I am just going about this all wrong!

The MK day - we are planning on going early, eating lunch (I was thinking CS in the park) and then coming back to GF for a couple hours after lunch to chill out. Heading back to the park around 2:00 or 3:00 for a couple hours. I was planning on doing the important stuff (Fantasyland) first thing inthe morning. and just spending the afternoon (after the break) looking around, riding things like the train or the TTA - the hopefully non crowded options! Since we are taking the afternoon break it seemed like a TS at lunch would take up a lot of time. But it sounds like I am wrong? I also wasn't sure I could get Crystal Palace or LTT, but I could check.

My thought was leaving the MK around 6:20 to go to the 6:50 dinner at the GF Cafe. It seemed like a more casual relaxed sit down and it is where we are staying so the girls could leave if necessary. I guess I thought it'd be more relaxing to have a quiet sit down rather than a chaotic CS. But I really don't know what I am talking about! I envision the CS places as crazy and loud and that is why I thought a quiet (but casual) sit down would work! I would do the CS at GF, but it has gotten some really bad reviews. I will rethink this day! Thanks for the input!

As far as the "picky" eaters - I was just trying to indicate that they are maybe used to nicer restaurants than I am! I had heard that the buffets at CM and PF are fine, but more about the characters than the food. They both get some mixed reviews over on the disboards as far as the actual food goes... But I am probably reading too much into this!

Thanks to everyone for the input! Clearly I don't know what I am doing :)

egoldber
08-07-2008, 02:30 PM
If they want finer food, then they are going to the wrong place. ;) With a few (very expensive) exceptions, the food at WDW is pretty mediocre.

I think whether or not that dinner time will work for you depends on your kids. My kids are used to eating dinner a lot earlier than 6:50 (meaning you easily may not get your food before 7:30). So for us, dinner at that time would be pretty hard and not worth the hassle.

I would think that CP would still have availability for lunch in November.

fivi2
08-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks again!

Yeah, I know WDW isn't known for the food;) But I was hoping to find something they'd be okay with!

Maybe I'll call about CP (Pooh is one of the only characters they know and love!) and then we'll choose between lunch and dinner closer to the date. They are pretty flexible about eating late (if they have a late snack). But I really don't know how they will be after a day at WDW! We are trying to take it as easy as possible - no hard core running around the park. I honestly think we'll be on the train half the day!

Thanks!

caheinz
08-07-2008, 10:27 PM
We had a dinner at the Kona. It was pretty good -- the menu was a bit steak and fish heavy for the adults. (It was too much for me after a hot day in the parks while pg -- I did dig the fresh fruit- chocolate fondue dessert, though.) I can't remember what DS had....

DS's favorite meal at WDW was at a temporary placeholder restaurant (Tutto Italiano) in Italy in the World Showcase at Epcot. It was a sit-down meal, but we had the meal plan, and he loved the cheese stick appetizer, a pasta meal, and an ice cream (I think, might have been gelato) dessert... This was the only place he wanted to go back to again! If Italian is an easy choice for your group, and there's a restaurant there, I'd suggest trying it!

I think they're planning to put in a permanent restaurant in Italy, so I don't even know if the one we went to in June would still be there in November...

fivi2
08-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! We aren't going tot he parks on the Kona day - it is arrival day, but I can see how the heavy meals would be a bit much!

I am still not sure what we'll do on the MK day. I made a couple more ADRs and need to discuss with the rest of my group and cancel some. You guys all make some good points - thanks for helping!