PDA

View Full Version : over-the-crib changing table

mongo
08-08-2008, 03:12 PM
I am looking for a changing table that I can place over and between the top of the crib. I know of the rail rider, but in order for the rail rider to lay level it looks like you need to lower one side of the crib. Since I have a fixed side crib where both sides are the same height, this will not work.

I also know that Oeuf makes a changing station that sits over the crib, but this seem way to expensive for what I want to do.

I also know that this exact concept is used widely in Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, but when you factor in exchange rates and shipping, the price is still high.

Apart from making my own, does anyone have a product in mind that I can use for this purpose?

I have a small nursery and don't want to buy a changing table. Moreover, the dresser we have is too small for the changing pad.

Any suggestions?

citymama
08-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Personally, I would recommend the option of converting a dresser top to a changing table, not the over-the-crib thing. I laugh now when I remember considering that option (my DD is 2.5 now) - the number of times we had projectile poop and pee while changing infant diapers, I can't imagine having to change sheets and disinfect the crib if the changing table was right over the crib! I would encourage you to consider a changing pad on the floor, or on a dresser in your bedroom if need be.

We used the Bellini changing table attachment on top of my dresser and absolutely loved it. We used it until my DD was potty trained a couple of months ago. Something else to consider - your child will probably be in diapers for 2 years or more - will they fit in something that sits over the crib, and will that be safe once your child is mobile and can stand?

ETA I just saw your comment about the size of you dresser

sste
08-10-2008, 07:35 PM
I looked into every variation of this - - the oeuf, the one from Ikea, something wooden and cute that attaches to the wall that I had to email a German store about . . .

And, I agree with the PP - - don't do it. Our changing table is our favorite thing. We had lots of projectile pee. And husband and I found it just too scary having our increasingly wriggly baby in anything but a secure space up against a wall. Especially as they get older and start flipping like marlins during diaper change. If I could have back the hours I spent agonizing over this one.

If you are on a budget, go to IKEA and get the Hemnes dresser with three drawers and put a changing pad on top of it.

I ended up getting one at PBK (store only, not online) that has three small drawers then two shelves and the diaper changing top, retails for $399, I got the floor model for $199 and I love the whole basket storage for the baby's clothes and diapers, very convenient.

mongo
08-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Which changer from Ikea goes over the crib? The only thing I saw was something that folded onto the wall.

sste
08-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Yes, Ikea goes on the wall - - we looked at both over the crib and on the wall to save space.

I was going to suggest the rail rider but I just read your original post.

Maybe you should consider a changing pad on the floor that you tuck under the crib and pull out or maybe a crib with a very sturdy bottom pull out shelf - - of course you are bending which gets old fast. Or you could buy the Oeuf set but it is pricey especially given that you may find it both difficult with the squirming baby and a little gross with the diaper mess.

I sympathize, our baby's room is 8 by 10 and I was able to fit everything in only by buying lots of shelves, the sleepi crib, using the diaper changing area for clothes storage and buying shallow depth white cubbies rather than a normal dresser and using baskets for additional storage.

WatchingThemGrow
08-11-2008, 06:36 AM
Can you put one in the hall or anywhere else if the room is too small - or put the dresser in the closet and make room for something at the proper height? For the amount of changing done over a 2 year period, I could see awkward bending really taking a toll on your back, esp. at the beginning when changes can be 10ish times a day for a month or so..

mongo
08-11-2008, 07:30 AM
I am having twins and I live in a Manhattan apartment. Every inch counts. I'd like to save space any way I can, but by the same token, I understand the mess that may be involved in the over the crib idea. I thought about using my own dresser as a changer, but since it's almost brand new Ethan Allen furniture, I really don't want that ruined with the same mess that was mentioned earlier. It seems like the best option is to bite the bullet and set aside separate space for a storage unit (i.e., a dresser) as a changing area.

sste
08-11-2008, 10:04 AM
there are benefits to having your diaper changing area in your living room - - that is probably where your twins will spend most of their time and with two you probably don't want to be running back and forth to a separate room. I would check out the ikea hemnes dresser which is fine for this purpose and blends into alot of settings - - my husband and I also looked at ALOT of dressers.

I also like the closet idea. If you had the space you could create a "desk in a closet" using the office/closet system at the container store - - elfa, its pricey but nice. You can build shelves all around the desk. I think there are sales on elfa shelves in aug/sept and on everything elfa in January. Anyway, you could use the "desk" part as a changing table - - you can even place it higher on the runners that the system hangs on. When your twins outgrow it you can use it as a desk/storage area. The only issue is that elfa is cut to order so you would probably want to be in your apartment for a while.

mongo
08-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Living in NY I'd like to avoid buying anything that will be customized to the apartment, b/c I likely won't be able to reeuse anything once I leave. I'll take a look at the Hemmes dresser. Is it suitably low enough though? I was thinking of the Malm 3 drawer dresser since it's top surface seems to be at least as large as a standard changing pad. and it only costs $70, which to me is disposable-enough if I have to move in a year.

dcmom2b3
08-11-2008, 11:07 AM
We have the Oeuf, and honestly, it was great -- for a really limited time. Once DD started moving around and standing in the crib we had to take it off and put it on the floor when we put her to bed. Now it just mostly stays on the floor, so no space savings there.

I guess we've been really lucky -- no messes to speak of yet; and I do like that the one time she wiggled off the table, she landed in her crib rather than on the floor. But it wasn't really worth the $$ in hindsight.

mongo
08-11-2008, 11:37 AM
We have the Oeuf, and honestly, it was great -- for a really limited time. Once DD started moving around and standing in the crib we had to take it off and put it on the floor when we put her to bed. Now it just mostly stays on the floor, so no space savings there.

I guess we've been really lucky -- no messes to speak of yet; and I do like that the one time she wiggled off the table, she landed in her crib rather than on the floor. But it wasn't really worth the $$ in hindsight.

How does the oeuf changer attach to the crib? I will not be using an oeuf crib so I don't even know if that would be helpful.

sste
08-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Here is the Hemnes:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10121247

I seem to remember hemnes being a better height, width, more storage than the malm, which at least last year was either tall or very, very low, there were 2 models. But, this was a year ago maybe Malm changed.

Here is a more recent discussion of Hemnes versus Malm:
http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/good-questions/good-questions-good-dresser-for-a-changing-table-050178

Also, for inspiration check out:
http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/nursery-tours/may-best-posts-hottest-small-cool-nursery-entries-and-otis-nursery-tour-039028 (click on top text "nursery tour")

I have so been there with this, my husband still gripes, we tried every piece of furniture on every wall of our tiny nursery, it took some doing to get everything to fit without crowding . . . but now its one of my favorite rooms.

dcmom2b3
08-11-2008, 03:16 PM
How does the oeuf changer attach to the crib? I will not be using an oeuf crib so I don't even know if that would be helpful.
It might work on another crib. It would depend, I think, on your crib's width. The bottom side of the changer has two small peices of wood attached to it that are slightly offset, they're as far apart as the crib is wide. The wood stops the changer from moving front to back. To keep it from moving side to side there are two straps that loop through slots on the bottom of the changer and around the posts on the crib.

Does this make sense? Kinda hard to describe.

We've stopped using the straps, since the thing never stays on her crib for more than a minute. And it's pretty heavy too -- by the time DD could move it by herself she'll be potty trained (fingers crossed).

mongo
08-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Can anyone confirm whether you do in fact need to lower one side of the crib for the rail rider to be installed properly? Would this work if I had a standard sized fixed side crib with straight (non curved sides)? It seems there are very other products like the rail rider that are available in the US so I would like to be able to use this.

srhs
08-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Were you planning to get/use a Playard (Pack N Play)? If so, you could pick out a model with a changing table top and use that.
(We used this for the first few weeks, but the height was hard on the back.)

FWIW: Since there's been discussion of other IKEA dressers, we do REALLY like ours: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S79853807

BTW, I know a new grandpa who recently said, "Changing table? We don't need any stinking changing table. We raised 2 kids without a changing table." And he proceeded to change his granddaughter's diaper on his lap. So, maybe you are stressing too much. A little diaper caddy in the living room by the sofa might suit you just fine.

I know how it is, though...I stressed over every single decision. My LO is 4mo, and I am still stressing over every purchase!

mongo
08-21-2008, 09:07 AM
I was not considering a chaning table, but am probably going to get an unfinished dresser from IKEA and possibly paint it to match the cribs. I am considering

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30091409 (finished)

or http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20022181 (unfinished)

WatchingThemGrow
08-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Those look fine for storage, but I would try to find one that has a height closer to that of a real changing table. One looks to short, like the PnP changer the PP mentioned being hard on the back. One looks too high for comfort.

We have this piece from Stanley that we use, and the height on it seems to be okay... actually we have one in DD's room in white and one in brown for DS http://www.youngamerica.stanleyfurniture.com/youngamerica/Browse.do?groupNumber=117&nav2=YSTORADRES&sku=825-14-02&nav1=YSTORAGE

Can you find out the standard height for a changing table SURFACE (not the top rails) and try to find something like that at IKEA? Just a thought...

mongo
08-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm sure there will be some kind of a dresser at IKEA that will be comfortable once I take a closer look. Since we are having twins in Manhattan, trying to fit 2 cribs in a second bedroom is tight enough. Though the Stanley piece is very nice, it is kind of long, and may make a tight space even tighter. I guess if I owned a house and didn't live in such tight quarters I'd get something like that, but having to move every year to avoid ever-higher rents makes the thought of moving expensive baby furniture less appealing.

mongo
08-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Does anyone know if the white hemnes dresser is solid wood? There is a red and a yellow version that are $20 more and the description says that they are solid pine, but the white version has alot of info on particleboard. I like white, but I wish it came as solid wood.

sste
08-21-2008, 10:12 PM
When I checked a year ago, the white was particleboard but the red/yellow (I saw them in the store) were def. wood.