PDA

View Full Version : Cocoon/Baby's Dream Nursery Furniture

drako
08-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Does anyone have any insight on the Cocoon line of nursery furniture made by Baby's Dream. DH and I found a great deal on a four piece set. The store said it is a lower end of Baby's Dream line but we actually like it better than any of their higher end collections because of it's simple design. It is very attractive, made of birch and is JPMA certified. The store owner did say there are a bit more veneers on this line. We typically try to buy solid wood furniture. Baby's Dream recently introduced this line so I don't know if there is much feedback on it.

The website is www.forevercocoon.com and the collection we are interested in is the 5000 series. The Baby Bargain book did say it is a new line of Baby's Dream.

Any insight? Thanks a bunch!

bt0510
01-06-2009, 12:42 AM
You posted 5 months ago, so I probably missed the boat for answering you. But maybe this will help someone else.

Cocoon is actually the higher end line of Baby's Dream. Some differences that we have been shown and researched are:

Baby's Dream uses all pine (soft wood) and Cocoon uses hardwoods along with veneers
Cocoon pieces show more details and design than the Baby's Dream pieces
The look of the pieces from Cocoon appear cleaner, nicer (our opinion) based on the pine to hardwood comparison

We are also really interested in the Cocoon 5000 series and are planning on purchasing that series. I'm wondering what you meant by 4 piece set. The 5000 series only includes the crib, 3 drawer and 5 drawer chests. Are you including the changing pad holder, or something else?

Another thing that I found out this weekend, is that almost every manufacturer uses a lot of veneers in the furniture. The veneer goes over a MDF/particle board and is actually stronger than most woods. Most large continuous pieces of wood seem to be veneers because of cost and longevity. I was initially concerned because I wanted all solid wood, but companies like Dutailier who make all solid wood furniture have price tags to go along with it. I read some on the internet about furniture veneers. One thing that I found, which I guess I already knew, but never thought of, is that home construction uses a lot of MDF/particle board these days. For instance, a lot of I-beams are now made of this and are obviously very strong and last quite a long time.

If you did purchase the Cocoon set, I would be really interested to find out how you like it, how the delivery times were, any problems, how problems were handled, etc. Thank you.

Cubdriver
01-12-2009, 12:17 AM
My wife and I purchased our Cocoon set back in September and just received it last month. Apparently, they are keeping their stock lower with the downturn in the economy. The lead time now is 8-10 weeks, and I would pad it even more than that. We were kind of pinging, because out kid is due Feb 24th, but we wanted it before I went out of town for a month. Needless to say, it showed up with about a week to spare.
This is our first kid, so I would not consider myself an expert on cribs, but I do know a fair amount about furniture and am very picky about my furniture. We did a ton of research and probably looked at 100 cribs before settling on the Cocoon. We are very happy with our pieces as a whole. I think they look very nice and are built rock solid. Much better than the Pottery Barn Cribs, which seemed very wobbly. The finish is above average and the packing was good. One part of the crib got chipped during shipping, however, it was not noticeable as it was on a back leg facing the wall. Overall, we are extremely happy with the crib, the quality of construction, and the value for the money. We wanted a crib that looked good, but would not cost a fortune. I am quite certain that it is solid wood, and not particle board. At least the chipped piece is. We really appreciated this, because it is much easier to refinish solid wood if it gets scratched or my son to be decides to run into with his truck. If it is not solid wood, it has a nice thick veneer covering on it. It was relatively easy to assemble the crib and needless to say the dresser came put together. Additionally, the drawers fit extremely well in the dresser, no play, and are easy to remove. Overall, we are more than satisfied with it, liked the look, and felt that it was above average value for the money for what we wanted.

k_null81
01-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Just wondering if this brand has been reviewed? I have the latest edition of the baby bargains book and don't see it in there.

Thanks!
Kristin

bt0510
01-15-2009, 11:10 PM
I haven't seen an official review of Cocoon in the book. But seeing that Cocoon is the higher end line of Baby's Dream, I am taking Baby's Dream rating as a guideline. Having seen the furniture, I really liked the quality and design. We plan to purchase the Series 5000 by the end of this month.

eml569
01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
My wife and I purchased our Cocoon set back in September and just received it last month. Apparently, they are keeping their stock lower with the downturn in the economy. The lead time now is 8-10 weeks, and I would pad it even more than that. We were kind of pinging, because out kid is due Feb 24th, but we wanted it before I went out of town for a month. Needless to say, it showed up with about a week to spare.

We ordered our Cocoon 4000 on 1/5/09, and it came in on 1/19. We were both completely shocked it arrived so quickly. Everything looks perfect. We decided not to get any of the case pieces, so have a dresser from Ikea that I switched out the drawer pulls on for a dresser/changing table. Now we just need a baby in the crib and the nursery will be complete!

bt0510
01-21-2009, 05:08 PM
We ordered our Cocoon 4000 on 1/5/09, and it came in on 1/19. We were both completely shocked it arrived so quickly.

That's incredible. We were shown an inventory list for all the cocoon pieces when we went to USA Baby, where we will buy. The inventory was from the distrubution center (he said they get it bi-weekly). But even if they have inventory readily available, they still wait until they have enough orders to fill a truck and deliver to the area. Cost consideration for them. At least this is what we were told. So looks like you ordered just at the right time.

Cubdriver
01-28-2009, 06:49 PM
The crib is reviewed under baby dreams in the newest edition and the company as a whole got rated an A. I think that if you go with it, you will not be disappointed. It looks like a $1000 crib, and cost $430. At least that is what we paid 5 months ago. I would just recommend that you order early, because ours was delayed and supposedly with the recession, they are decreasing their inventory.