PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Soooo upset...someone give me strength

lmwbasye
08-10-2008, 10:42 PM
The district said I could submit a resignation, but if approved, it would be something like "leave with concern" and may affect future jobs. On top of that, my principal all but told me he can only give me a week off while my DH is home for R&R. I'm devestated. I'm stuck in this job and am miserable. How am I supposed to go to work while DH is actually home?!

Will try calling tomorrow to look into Leave of Absence. I feel so overwhelmed and am losing my mind.

I feel like a terrible person. I don't want to teach this year and want to get out of my teaching contract.

Long story short, I have a nearly 4 year old and a 10 month old. DH is nearly half way through a 15 month deployment. He is on a specialized team and was in grad school before this, so we are not really stationed anywhere. I have no unit per se, no family nearby, and really no friends nearby to lean on. Anyway, after being home this summer with the boys, I am dreading going back to work. Our lives are so crazy with DH gone as it is, I'm dreading adding in that stress that teaching adds to our lives. I normally love, love, love my job but can't get excited about it this year. It is breaking my heart. I'm going to call the district tomorrow to see what I can do, but I don't know that there is much hope to not work this year.

My one saving grace is that when DH returns, I am definitely staying home. That was our plan all along, but couldn't afford it until now.

Has anyone done this before or anyone have any general advice?

TIA!

swrc00
08-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Laura,

I feel for you totally. I am a school teacher and am expecting. I have broken my teaching contract before when DH got transferred. We were not married yet. I basically wrote my resignation letter and went and told my principal. There was a line in my contract that said I could have my license revoked for breaking my contract. I didn't have any consequences. I would think with DH being deployed, there would be no question of having a good reason to break your contract. Good Luck. Keep us updated.

Susan

I just noticed that you are located in Virginia. I was teaching in Virginia when I broke my contract. :)

tarabenet
08-10-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm sure the legal aspects can vary from state to state. The thing that doesn't though, is that your first obligation is to yourself and your family. Stand strong and firm when you call the district. Don't be wishy-washy, don't get emotional and most of all don't go into it all expecting some kind of fight. Just be matter-of-fact and polite. Chances are very good that they will respond in the same tone in which you approach them. It will be OK.

Don't be surprised if they counter-offer, maybe asking you to work the first X weeks until they find another teacher. It may help you to be expecting that. On the other hand "Let me think about it and get back to you. May I have 48 hours?" is always a fine reply. I fact, I know a lot of people who counsel that this is *always* the proper reply in any negotiation or when any request is made on your time. That way, you buy yourself a little time to be sure your reply is truly what you want to say.

Good luck tomorrow.

Melanie
08-11-2008, 12:38 AM
No advice, but good luck. I don't know how you are doing it now, much less adding a job to the mix. I hope it goes smoothly for you.

kransden
08-11-2008, 01:16 AM
You are quitting before the start of the school year right? If so I don't think that will be held against you. It is not like you have been there a month and left. Just be polite and firm.
Good Luck!

kijip
08-11-2008, 01:27 AM
I would just hand deliver a letter explaining that due to your children's unforeseen needs while your husband is deployed you are unable to teach at this time. I can't imagine an administrator not trying to make an exception for you.

elizabethkott
08-11-2008, 08:26 AM
It's going to depend on your state and district. Where I am, you need to give 30 days notice. But, for each child you have, you can take two years of unpaid childcare leave. Under this rule, you would be able to take this school year off to care for your children, and still be guaranteed a position in the district when you return next year. Granted you're not told you will have the same *exact* position (room, grade assignment, course load...) but you will have a job.
Good luck!

pb&j
08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
No real advice, just many positive thoughts coming your way.

Rules were made to be broken, and surely your administration will be able to find some compassion for your situation.

Laurel
08-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Just wanted to offer support. It never hurts to ask/try for an exception. You have a compelling and unique situation.

tiapam
08-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Your kids and students both deserve your best and you just can't do that this year. Try to explain it that way and hopefully they will agree with you that everyone is better off with you not teaching this year. I would try to leave on good terms, though, in case things don't go the way you want when DH returns.

Also, is anyone else going to be on maternity leave? Maybe you could pick up their classroom instead and then have a shorter commitment.

HTH.