PDA

View Full Version : Which Rides are SAFE?

hbridge
08-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Okay, I need some perspective on this...

We are planning a Disney World vacation for the fall. DC will have just turned five. We have a very curious child who will try anything, but is cautious about it. Also DC is very tall, we expect about 46" for the trip. To give some perspective, for our first trip DC was not quite three and the favorite ride was Splash Mountain.

Anyway, DH is conviced he is taking DC on EVEREST!!!! I think it's insane and am afraid for DCs safety. The fact that DC may be absolutely terrified and have trust issues after is another story, it's safety that concerns me.

We know our child is tall and will be able to go on rides that most children her age can't, but who's being unreasonable here. Also, is there a safer alternative? After going on Thunder Mountain in the rain many years ago I'm not even sure I'm comfortable with that one since there aren't any restraints except the bar.

What Disney trill rides would you deem safe for a newly five year old? I keep thinking that we have a Britax Regent for safey so why are we sending this child on Everest, Test Track, Space Mountain, Ect. My husband thinks I'm insane, what do you think?

Oh my, I hope this post makes sense. DH informed me of his plans over the weekend and I'm a little panicked over them.

Momof3Labs
08-11-2008, 08:55 AM
Disney wouldn't allow a child on a ride if they couldn't guarantee that child's safety. DS1 was 50" tall in December (5.25yo) and went on everything with a height limit, including Everest (didn't like it), Mission Space (loved it), Rock n Roller Coaster (loved it), Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Tower of Tower (didn't like it), Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur (didn't like it), Star Wars, etc.

He didn't like the rides that had scary situations, including Haunted Mansion (no height restriction), Everest, Dinosaur and Tower of Terror. But he loved the fast, wild rides that were neutral or upbeat. He didn't develop any trust issues, though, from trying those new rides.

That said, it's *your* decision as a parent what you will allow your child to do. Start with something tamer like Splash Mountain, work up to Thunder Mountain, try a motion simulator like Star Wars - basically, go in baby steps to figure out your DD's likes and dislikes, and if she doesn't seem ready for Everest, don't do it. It is partially in the dark, the motion is a bit wild, and there is the Yeti who shows up once during the ride - some kids this age love that stuff, but not mine. Although my DS plans to go on Everest when we go back in December (along with Dinosaur, but not Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror), so he is ready to conquer some of these rides, just not all of them!

egoldber
08-11-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure why you think it isn't safe? Whether or not you think your child will enjoy it is another question. Sarah has been on everything at Disney that she is tall enough for (except Tower of Terror because I don't think she will like the ride scenario). She rode Everest last time (had just turned 6) but didn't like it that much. She wants to ride it again though and she wants to try ToT this time too. I had always told her she wasn't tall enough for ToT but this time she can read and knows how tall she is. :ROTFLMAO:

None of the WDW coasters, including Everest, are as fast or as long as the ones at places like Six Flags and Kings Dominion. WDW relies more on scenarios and experiences than on having the fastest/tallest/biggest drop, etc.

hbridge
08-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Thank you for the perspective. I desperately needed it. There are so many stories of accidents on roller coasters especially involving very slim children. My life's mission is to keep my child safe so I'm more than slightly paranoid. I have visions of her flying off of Thunder Mountain, for example, because she's not holding on tightly enough, ect.

Of course she loved the Barnstormer and Splash Mountain on our last trip (when she wasn't quite three) so I guess I should just close my eyes, trust Disney and pray...

Thank you. DH and DC will be psyched!

egoldber
08-11-2008, 10:40 AM
There are so many stories of accidents on roller coasters especially involving very slim children.

Almost every accident I have read about has been a case of someone not following the safety rules (like deliberately slipping out of the harness) or someone who had a previously undiagnosed health condition.

rlu
08-11-2008, 01:53 PM
There are so many stories of accidents on roller coasters especially involving very slim children.

You know your child best - will she follow the ride attendant's instructions? If I recall correctly, most thrill rides at Disney are not solo rider rides, so you or DH will be with her to keep her arms and legs in at all times, stay buckled in, etc.

I did work at a theme park (not Disney) and the rides were tested every morning. If it didn't sound right or seem right or just bugged the rides engineer, the ride did not open. Simple as that - it simply isn't worth the risk to the park. I've seen rides that didn't open most of the year and eventually be replaced to avoid any possible problems. Rides similar to those that have had accidents at other parks are closed until it is determined what happened at the other park. The rides are the park's appeal - people won't come if they don't feel safe.

The rides are safe, but ultimately the rider is responsible for following the rules.

s7714
08-15-2008, 01:30 AM
My DD has been on all the rides she's tall enough to go on at Disneyland except for Splash Mountain (that's only because I'm guilty of not wanting to get wet myself! ;) ).

DH and I are always sitting next to her and usually holding onto her so she doesn't so sliding/slamming around. Like on the Matterhorn at DL, she's wedged in between DH's legs. On Space Mountain, I had one arm across her legs at all times so I could make sure she was staying glued to her seat (not that she'd try to get up, but because of the lift you out of your seat type drops) and so she didn't freak out about being in the dark and not feeling me near her. (I actually didn't voluntarily take her on that ride--DH talked her into it and of course she hated it because it was so dark!)

hbridge
08-15-2008, 07:18 AM
Thank you all. I am totally paranoid Mom sometimes and have decided that DH is probably okay taking our child on whatever DC is tall enough for, in terms of safety. Now we just need to figure out the terrified factor. On our last trip DC was almost three and LOVED Splash Mountain, but we had to take her off of the Merry-Go-Round because she was terrified. I think it was because there was no one right next to her (even though there was an adult standing on either side)...

We'll just see how it plays out. Thank you all so much, I'm definitely more relaxed about it now.

AddiesMom
08-15-2008, 09:23 AM
Just an FYI, Everst is a 'lap-bar' coaster, unlike Rock N Rollercoaster that has a shoulder harness. Typically lap-bar coasters are not as wild but will still have big drops, another is Big Thunder Mountain.

If you think DC is ready for a big coaster, Everest may actually be a good one since it is newer. The newer coasters are much smoother and don't jerk around the body as much.

SnuggleBuggles
08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Gravitational pull will help her stay in even if she lets go of the bar. I agree with the other posters on the other reasons to let her go for it. :)

Beth

Momof3Labs
08-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Just an FYI, Everst is a 'lap-bar' coaster, unlike Rock N Rollercoaster that has a shoulder harness. Typically lap-bar coasters are not as wild but will still have big drops, another is Big Thunder Mountain.

If you think DC is ready for a big coaster, Everest may actually be a good one since it is newer. The newer coasters are much smoother and don't jerk around the body as much.

I disagree. Everest is definitely not a beginner roller coaster. It is much smoother than BTM, but it has a big drop, is partially in the dark, goes backwards, and has the "scary" (according to my 5yo DS) Yeti at the end. There is nothing scary about BTM except, for some kids, the speed and jerkiness. Space Mountain is a pretty smooth coaster, but is in the dark.

Goofy's Barnstormer is a short coaster ride geared towards younger kids - it's probably a good place to start with a coaster newbie.

s7714
08-16-2008, 12:34 AM
I disagree. Everest is definitely not a beginner roller coaster. It is much smoother than BTM, but it has a big drop, is partially in the dark, goes backwards, and has the "scary" (according to my 5yo DS) Yeti at the end.

No experience with the Yeti on Everest, but we really played up the fun of trying to catch a glimpse of Harold (the name of the Yeti on the Disneyland Matterhorn) before DD rode it for the first time at age 4. We dug up a picture of him online to show to her and told her if she saw him during the ride she was really lucky! But we also said he didn't like to be seen, so if he saw her he might make loud roaring noises. She was so excited about trying to spot him, she didn't think it was scary at all. She started screaming "I saw Harold! I saw Harold!" at the top of her lungs. My DD now refers to him as Harold, the big hairy Yeti-bear and LOVES to go on that ride just so she can spot him! :ROTFLMAO:

ETA: My DD does actually find one thing on BTM scary, but I don't know if the DW still has the same thing as the DL one (it's been years since I've been to DW). On the DL one, there's a part where you're slowly going up hill and all the "rocks" start moving around like they're going to fall down on you. That makes my DD really nervous every time. Despite that though she says BTM is her favorite coaster at DL.

Momof3Labs
08-16-2008, 08:28 AM
DS1 had actually seen pictures of the Yeti on a DVD (the planning DVD, maybe?), so I was surprised that he was scared of it. He's just at a stage now, though, where he's becoming more aware of scary things. He wasn't like this even a year ago, so some of it may even be age-related.

Rainbows&Roses
08-16-2008, 11:04 AM
DS1 had actually seen pictures of the Yeti on a DVD (the planning DVD, maybe?), so I was surprised that he was scared of it. He's just at a stage now, though, where he's becoming more aware of scary things. He wasn't like this even a year ago, so some of it may even be age-related.

I think I read the Yeti is broken and only is "on" once in awhile. The base is cracked and they need to rebuild him or something like that.

kboyle
08-17-2008, 01:29 PM
poor yeti :(

mama, i'd trust your instinct, if YOU feel uncomfortable, wait till another disney visit...she won't know and will have fun, yeti or no yeti :)