PDA

View Full Version : Stroller for a 5 YO and almost 3 YO for disneyland?

todzwife
08-11-2008, 11:15 AM
We have a couple umbrella-type strollers (larger than a regular umbrella stroller with a shade canopy and a small basket) but I one of them doesn't recline at all. I think a small double will fold up smaller than the 2 singles as well and space will be at a premium.

Any suggestions? My almost-5 year old doesn't like to walk very long.

Puddy73
08-11-2008, 12:22 PM
How big is your 5 yo? We used a Joovy Caboose for my 4 yo (who was pushing the 45 lb limit for the jump seat) and my 33 lb 2 yo last spring. It worked pretty well, although it doesn't fold as easily as an umbrella stroller. We were able to get it on the trains without much trouble.

todzwife
08-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I have super tiny kids.
As of right now he's 36 pounds (he'll be 5 in October) DD is almost 3 (January) and she's a whopping 24 pounds.

belovedgandp
08-11-2008, 02:44 PM
We went last fall with a 3 month old and a 3 1/2 year old. My 3 year old is a trooper - would normally walk a 6+ hour day at the zoo or our local amusement park. We did the sit-n-stand. It was bigger, but we generally parked it in one area and walked around there (baby in sling). We'd load up for the long walks and he'd usually just stand on the back.

I wouldn't want to deal with two strollers just for logistics of combinations of kids and adults needing to go different directions.

salsah
08-11-2008, 06:17 PM
bjcm steers nicely, has great canopies, and folds compactly.

todzwife
08-11-2008, 06:50 PM
Sorry...not up on the stroller lingo...
BJCM?

neeleymartin
08-11-2008, 09:22 PM
never been to disney or had two kiddos. just a 1 year old now. but i saw that disney has very cool strollers for rental (an episode of jon and kate plus 8 last season) much easier than brining one. i remember that they had a great sun shade and a couple kids took naps quite well in them too. maybe disney has pics on the website.

OMG...just went on disney. price for a double...$31/day! YOUCH!! and i guess strollers are not allowed everywhere at disney. what the heck do they expect people to do?!?

good luck.
n

egoldber
08-11-2008, 09:32 PM
I think you'd be fine with something like a Mac double. If you expect that you will want to split up occasionally, 2 singles might actually be more convenient.

I would not recommend the Disney doubles. You can't take them into the parking lot, and I loving being able to wheel all my crap directly to my car.:) And for DL, are staying close enough to walk to the park? In which case I would definitely bring your own.

And welcome back to the boards. :)

todzwife
08-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Hi Beth! It's wonderful to "see" you here still!!

Yes, we are staying at the Howard Johnsons about 1/2 mile away. I'm hoping we can just walk, but if we're dead I'll have DH run and get the car to pick us up LOL!

I doubt we'll be splitting up. We'll have my whole family (there will be 12 adults and 3 kids-2 are mine) so I'm guessing we won't be together in THAT group the whole time, but I doubt DH and I will split up much.

I was looking at the combi twin sport because it's pretty cheap (albee has one for $159) but after reading reviews I'm not sure now LOL!

salsah
08-12-2008, 12:16 AM
Sorry...not up on the stroller lingo...
BJCM?
sorry. baby jogger city mini double

http://www.babyjogger.com/cityminidouble.htm

AddiesMom
08-12-2008, 08:36 AM
I was looking at the combi twin sport because it's pretty cheap (albee has one for $159) but after reading reviews I'm not sure now LOL!

I have no experience with the combi double, but I had a single. Older models have a much shorter handle height and steering was horrible once DD weighed more. I would test drive before buying!

luvmypeanut
08-12-2008, 01:12 PM
We always take two strollers to Disneyland in case we split up. I have taken a Mac Techno double once but it was a Christmas trip and very crowded. If you're going during the off season then a double should be no problem. Otherwise, it's easier to manuevre if you've got two singles. And if you're planning on staying in line for Nemo, they let you take your stroller into the line and a CM will take it from you when you get near the front, but a double will most likely not fit. I've seen a lot of Joovys, Gracos and a few P&Ts.

Btw, Disneyland does not offer rental doubles.

s7714
08-12-2008, 07:02 PM

I like our combi twin a lot, but I don't think it works well with older kids strictly because their legs/feet can drag on the ground and get mixed up with the wheels. I loved it when my kids were smaller, but now that they're 3 and 5 it doesn't work well for them leg-wise. Weight hasn't been a problem though, fwiw. Mine DDs are 32-36 pounds each (I have a lightweight 5 yo too) and it still pushes fairly easily. (Except when their feet are in the way... ;) )

egoldber
08-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I think the dragging feet are a problem with older kids and any stroller.

s7714
08-12-2008, 08:36 PM
I think the dragging feet are a problem with older kids and any stroller.

Yes, but it can be more of a problem with certain strollers, which is why I specifically commented on it relating to that specific stroller. We don't have any problems with our 5 year old getting her feet caught up in the wheels in our other three strollers because they're either higher off the ground or there's a better/larger foot rest.

egoldber
08-12-2008, 08:55 PM
LOL! I think Sarah just likes to drag her feet on the ground no matter what the stroller. Ever since she was 4+ we've had to admonish her not to rest her feet on the wheels, drag them on the ground, etc. So sometimes its not the stroller its the kid. ;)