PDA

View Full Version : DS's Eye Problem-Advice?

Bens Momma
08-11-2008, 01:09 PM
DS complained about an hour ago that he "had something in his eye." WHEN I looked at it I didn't see anything and told him to try not to rub it. Fast forward...his eyelid is now red and very swollen and he says it "stings." His eyeball looks fine, not red, bloodshot, etc. and it's not weepy or gooey. Those would be the typical signs of pink eye so I don't think it's that. I hate to call/visit the ped if not needed. What would you do? What do you think it is? Only thing I could think to do for now is a warm compress. Any other suggestions? Thought someone might have BTDT with similar symptoms.

Thanks-
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

Mommy Of A Little Angel
08-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I would bet he has a sty. Can you see a little pimple or bump on the edge of his eyelid? It would make him feel like there was something in his eye and it would make his eyelid look swollen. It might take a day or two for the "pimple" of the sty to form. A warm compress is best for it. There is also over the counter ointment for it.

saschalicks
08-11-2008, 01:40 PM
I would bet he has a sty. Can you see a little pimple or bump on the edge of his eyelid? It would make him feel like there was something in his eye and it would make his eyelid look swollen. It might take a day or two for the "pimple" of the sty to form. A warm compress is best for it. There is also over the counter ointment for it.

That's exactly what I was going to say. It sounds like a sty. Warm compresses will help a lot.

Bens Momma
08-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. I can't see a sty, but maybe it's under the eyelid. It's looking a little less red/enflamed, so I'll keep trying the compresses (when he'll sit still for more than 3 minutes!) Is it a wives tale or are they (sty) related to lack of sleep?

Thanks again for the advice!
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS

egoldber
08-11-2008, 02:22 PM
I would definitely call the ped. Amy had the same symptoms and she had a corneal abrasion.

brittone2
08-11-2008, 02:37 PM
Agreeing w/ the above. Sty or corneal abrasion both sound like possibilities. I had a corneal abrasion a few years ago and even as an adult it was hard to avoid rubbing it. The swollen eyelid could be a sty, or from all of the rubbing of the eyes if it is a corneal abrasion.

txag97
08-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Hi. I'm pretty new here, so I haven't posted much but since I'm an optometrist I thought I might have some insight. It could be a stye (or hordeolum if it is not at the lid margin) but it wouldn't be that likely that the lid would become so red and swollen in such a short time. A hordeolum could cause redness, tenderness, and a bump in the lid but would not cause a pimple at the margin. A warm compress is the way to treat this problem. Don't waste money on anything from the drugstore that claims it will help a stye. In more extreme cases where a hordeolum is quite big and tender oral antibiotics can be used, but most cases do not require this.

Other possibilities certainly include a corneal abrasion or a contact dermatitis (allergic reaction) of the eyelid. You can see lid swelling with a corneal abrasion and will often see sensitivity to light and redness. Unfortunately in a lot of cases there is not a lot to be done for a corneal abrasion. A little time is usually all it takes for the cornea to heal itself. My 10 month old gave herself a corneal abrasion last week and her lid swelled up a bit and her eye was watery, but she was fine after about a day with no treatment. I hope this helps and that your son feels better soon!