PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk toddler bikes

Sopamanda
08-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I have a three year old and I find only expensive, ugly looking bikes with training wheels.

Why can't I find an affordable bike that doesn't have hideous graphics all over it.

B-day is early Sept. Any ideas??

Thanks mommas!

o_mom
08-11-2008, 02:14 PM
I would go with a balance bike. We got a Kinderbike for DS1 and he started riding it right away at 3.5 yrs. DS2 has been riding it since about 3.5 years and can glide fairly long distances.

Here's the one we got, but if you search "balance bike" in this forum you will find quite a few reviews on various brands:

http://www.mykinderbike.com/

brittone2
08-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Another vote for the balance bike. DS received his for his 3rd bday and he was able to glide pretty extensively within 2 months. He's still riding it (and loving it) at age 4.5

We bought the Puky but I think they are more difficult to get now (it seems most people are having to order from Europe).

Other brands are the Hotwalk, Like a Bike, GliderRider, etc.

We are very happy with DS's bike and I'm looking forward to DD using it in the future as well. It is really a fabulous way to teach balance.

carolinamama
08-13-2008, 08:40 AM
I 2nd (3rd) the balance bike idea. DS rides his around our neighborhood almost daily. He's fast, keeps up with the slightly older kids on their bikes with training wheels, and has developed great balance.

We have a Like a Bike and are happy with it. But like others have said, there are more brands out there now.

happymomma
08-15-2008, 11:20 PM
I also recommend the balance bike. I had bought my DS (at that time 4 years old) a used Puky from a yard sale. My DH didn't believe me that it would be a good idea. My DS is still riding it at 5 years old. He loves it. He goes around the neighborhood and can go pretty fast. It's amazing to see.

happymomma
08-15-2008, 11:20 PM
I also recommend the balance bike. I had bought my DS (at that time 4 years old) a used Puky from a yard sale. My DH didn't believe me that it would be a good idea. My DS is still riding it at 5 years old. He loves it. He goes around the neighborhood and can go pretty fast. It's amazing to see.

WatchingThemGrow
08-16-2008, 07:21 AM
Don't let us bully you into buying one, but DD got the red Specialized Hotwalk for her 2nd and enjoys motoring around the yard on her bi-SEEEEE-cul.

There is a graphic on the seat, but the rest of the bike is plain.

Sopamanda
08-16-2008, 10:03 AM
I talked to 2 local bike shops and they really didn't know much about them.

Granted, I do take a mother's opinion over 30 year old guys who clearly don't have kids. :)

Maybe we'll pass, he's stopped talking about the bike. Now it seems to be
-my- obsession. Silly.

Amanda