PDA

View Full Version : Toddler bikes

Sopamanda
08-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Any deals???

I saw the balance bike flurry of activity a while back, but don't recall rave reviews from moms. Correct me if I'm wrong!!!!

Any deals on a little bike?? DS will be 3, need a birthday present!

Thanks, mommas!

awoodm
08-11-2008, 05:04 PM
This is the one I just got a few weeks ago for my 3yr old, DS. . .

http://kawasakibikes.cyclesg.com/product.php?name=Tricycle&id=73016-6

He loves the way it looks, and seems to be really well made. The only drawback I have found is that it is a little heavier and harder for him to navigate than I would like, but we are still learning how to use pedals so I am sure that will not be an issue for long.

We have never used a balance bike so I don't know the pros/cons of that. This is what he's been riding up until the upgrade to tricycle...

http://www.step2.com/product.cfm?product_id=1290&ppcgoog=736200&002=52&004=409442586&005=4214418263&006=1014592866&007=Search&008=&gclid=CM6RzN3WhpUCFQRgswodFAd6qg

This seems like a cheaper version of the balance bike ;) The age group says 3+, but it's more like 2+ IMO size-wise. He has had this one for over a year, and it remains to be the envy of the neighborhood kids and his fav. ride on.

Sopamanda
08-11-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm in for a balance bike, but missed the deal on the graveyard mall one.
Cheapest Skuut I see is about $90 incl. shipping.

Also, anyone have input on the wooden ones vs. the metal ones?

Again, looking for deals, not those $200 bikes... yikes!

Amanda

o_mom
08-11-2008, 05:54 PM
I had a friend with a wooden one from Target. One night left out when it rained and that was the end of it. I think metal is the way to go. We have a Kinderbike and have really liked it - They are $70 + $12-18 S&H. If you can get one of their outlet bikes you can save around $20, I think. Ours was an outlet bike and other than a few spots where the paint was 'rough', you can't tell.

niccig
08-11-2008, 06:04 PM
We love our balance bike. DS got it 6 months ago and he's gliding a few steps at a time. He needs to get a little better with the gliding and then we'll move on to a 2 wheeler without training wheels. We're thinking maybe 6-12 months time. We were at the bike store getting DH a bike, and they had Specialized 12" bikes for about $100-150. I would try your local bike store.

Sopamanda
08-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Okay, I'll post what I've found.

The wood balance bikes seem to have durability issues.

Kinderbike seems to be a good alternative and these are metal. They have 3 year warranties which seems to be the best I've seen. I hesitate on this one because they won't ship out until the 18th. Our birthday is Sept 5th and I worry about not getting it in time with the cheaper shipping option. I think Kinderbike has a new version coming out later this year.

Strider is another option that keeps popping up. Cute colors (they have neutral red, which is a bonus).

I've read reviews of the Graveyard model one (forget the name of this). Amazon also carries this. Seems these may have durability issues as well. These are the cheapest.

Hope this helps someone!