PDA

View Full Version : Sea World or San Diego Zoo?

momtoonegirl
08-11-2008, 06:12 PM
We are going to be in San Diego for 4 days in September. Most of those days, DH is going to be in meetings. I believe that we have about 1 to 1 1/2 days of leisure time to do something together.

DD saw a commercial where Sea World has some Sesame Street themed rides and she was so excited. I also have heard great things about the San Diego Zoo, and wanted to visit while we were there. DD is 2.5 years old, and has not been to a zoo before.

I was wondering if it was possible to go to Sea World for the day, and then to the Zoo for 1/2 day? Would I have to choose one over the other to get the full experience? Any suggestions/help on what to do from those of you who have experience with either/both of these places is appreciated.

egoldber
08-11-2008, 09:01 PM
We were just in San Diego last week! We went to both Seaworld and the Zoo, in addition to the Wild Animal Park, Legoland and Coronado Beach.

It really isn't possible to do either the Zoo or Seaworld in one day. We were at the Zoo from about 9 to 2 and at Seaworld for two full days and didn't see everything at either place, although we came pretty close at Seaworld.

I have two main issues with the zoo. Well it's really one issue with two parts. The zoo has a very large elevation change from one side to the other. You start out at "the top" and a major set of exhibits (pandas and polar bears) are at the bottom. (Although you actually have to make steep climb back up to get to the polar bears from the pandas, but I digress....). Also there is really only one path to get from the top to the bottom with a stroller and it's not a very direct or easy path to take. It is possible to take the bus from one side to the other but I'm not certain if you can take your stroller on board. There is also a gondola from the top to the "other" top (near the polar bears) but again you can't take your stroller. There is also an additional charge for the gondola depending on which ticket you purchase. The children's section is really very good although it does get quite crowded. It is however a simply fabulous zoo and well worth doing. The food is also better than average and not as scandalously priced as other places (like oh say, Seaworld).

Seaworld is very different. Its all about the shows (Shamu, dolphins, sea otters, etc.) with some rides and exhibits. How much your DD could do depends very much on her temperament and how tall she is. There are only 3 rides in the Sesame Street "Bay of Play" area and none have height restrictions. But your child must be able to sit on their own on the ride, not in your lap. And if your child protests and tries to climb on your lap during the ride they WILL stop the ride to let your child off. Ask me how I know. :loveeyes: There are some other things to do there as well, but many of them have a 37" height minimum which made my toddler INSANE that she couldn't do all the things her older sister could do. But you wouldn't have that problem. :)

Its almost impossible to see all (or even more than one or two) of the major shows and also see all the major attractions in one day. I would suggest getting the two day ticket (its basically the same price) and perhaps squeezing in a second day. I think the food in Seaworld is very mediocre and highly overpriced. The zoo is a much better value in that regard.

fivi2
08-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Not to hijack, but Beth - did your younger one enjoy Legoland? Or is it better for the older ones? (Dreaming of my own San Diego trip!)

To the OP, I went to one of the other Sea Worlds (before dc) and I don't think my 2.5 yos would get too much out of it yet. But it really depends on you kiddos. The one I went to did not have the Sesame Street area though. It had a bunch of shows. We took our girls to a dolphin show at a local aquarium and they really did not get into it at all... But I am sure it all depends on your kids.

I am sure you will have fun at either one!

egoldber
08-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Amy did like Legoland but there were very few rides that she could go on. If we had been able to focus on things that she could do vs what Sarah could do (we were also with a large family group with mainly older kids) I'm sure Amy would have had a much better time. But I don't know that it would be worth two adult admissions for only a sub 2 year old.

momtoonegirl
08-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Thanks to both of you for your replies :)

I talked to DH after reading your nice summary, Beth, and we decided to just go with the San Diego Zoo for now, especially since DD hasn't visited a zoo, yet. The selling point for DH was the positive points that you raised about the food at the Zoo vs. Sea World ;)

I also agree with the point that fivi2 made about DD not getting that much out of the shows yet at Sea World, and since there are only a few rides in the Sesame Street portion, it may be best to skip Sea World for now, and maybe visit an aquarium some time down the road. DD is 36.5 inches without shoes, so with shoes she may be 37 inches or close to it. Since the rides aren't emphasized as much as the shows, we will just go there when she is older.

Beth, is the Wild Animal Park connected or close to the Zoo? Is it possible to see the Zoo and the Park in 1 1/2 days?

I'm off to look at the websites and do some planning. I may have more questions later, though.

Thanks for your help :)

egoldber
08-12-2008, 02:50 PM
The Zoo and the WAP are both part of the SD Zoological Society. So they are in essence sister parks. If you become a zoo member, then you are a member at both places.

The WAP is about 35-40 minutes north of SD in Escondido. Its an easy drive up the 15 to get there (its about 5 miles off the 15, but well marked). The key difference is that Escondido is inland so it is often signficantly warmer there than in SD. In September it will still be quite hot, so I would plan to be there when the WAP opens and plan to leave in the afternoon when it starts to really heat up.

I actually love the WAP and prefer it to the Zoo.

fivi2
08-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Okay - I shouldn't chime in again since I haven't been, but I have been reading guidebooks... :)

I read that the park the zoo is in (Balboa Park?) is really nice and has other fun stuff for kids. I don't know if that will factor in your decision, but just throwing it out there! I have also read great things about the WAP!

asha
08-12-2008, 07:27 PM
If I had to pick I would pick Sea World. Of course a lot depends on the kids' age.

Each zoo is different, but chances are there are zoos close to where you are. While it is not the same, your DC can still go to the zoo. SeaWorld, not so many around. The experience is a lot of fun for kids if they can sit through the shows.

Asha

Tondi G
08-12-2008, 07:41 PM
My now 3 year old LOVED the few hours we spent at Sea World. The Sesame St bay of play wasn't even open yet! He loved looking at the rays and dolphins ... he got to touch a ray and we didn't even get to do the feedings etc. as we got there late in the day. Their tidepool area where the kids can hold starfish etc was a big hit too! My vote would be for Sea World. Sea World they can interact more... touch stuff etc. My boys are both looking forward to going back to SD at the end of the month! The Zoo is HUGE and can be quite warm and there are some Steep hills to walk up and down! We took DS #1 when he was 2 and he liked it but really seemed to enjoy Sea World more. We have a membership to the LA Zoo so we don't feel as compelled to visit the SD Zoo, I guess.

We also went to Legoland and our DS was just under 3. He would have been furious if he couldn't drive the little cars like his big brother.... so we fibbed and said he was 3 when the girl asked and no one knew the difference! Both of our kids loved Legoland... the water play area is great.... if you decide to visit be sure to bring her swimsuit and towels!

Other are you might consider visiting if you want to get out with your DD alone is Sea Port Village.... they have shops and eating places and a carousel to ride. I believe there is a carousel just outside of the SD Zoo as well!

There are outlets for shopping out by Legoland in Carlsbad too!

Have a wonderful trip!

pinay
08-12-2008, 11:56 PM
We live in SD and have annual passes to both Sea World and the Zoo and my DD has much more fun at Sea World at this point in time (she's 15 months). Since it's a lot flatter, it's much easier for her to walk around without stumbling or getting too tired and it's definitely stroller friendly. We didn't feed the dolphins or the otters and seals, but she loved watching other people doing it- there's a viewing area for the dolphin feeding and if you stand at the extreme left side as you enter it, you're pretty much standing next to some people who paid to feed and you can get some great photos! We've only done 1 ride at SW so far and she seemed to enjoy it, I think a slightly older toddler would love being able to go on them on their own if they meet the height requirements. And lots of the exhibits have wonderful viewing areas so the kiddos can get a good look at the sharks, penguins, manatees, etc. There's a LOT to do there, probably too much to squeeze into 1 day with a 2.5 yr old, so we're fortunate that we can just go for a couple of hours at a time and leave before any meltdowns occur.

The zoo is great as well, and the petting zoo is lots of fun for the little ones. The hills are very steep so you'll get a bit of a workout pushing a stroller around, but there's lots to look at as well. DD has really enjoyed the huge monkey exhibits and seeing the koala bears. Balboa Park is also fabulous and has a carousel close to the zoo, a great playground just south of the zoo and lots of museums- if you happen to be there on a Tuesday, 1/4 of the museums in the park have free admission so you can just wander in and out of the ones that interest you. The Prado (restaurant in Balboa Park) is a lovely place to have lunch and they have an excellent happy hour from 4 to 6 PM on the weekdays- if you sit out in the patio area, it's pretty kid friendly.

Sorry to be so longwinded- I love our beautiful city and enjoy sharing "insider tips" where I can. If you want info on other areas, feel free to ask- have a wonderful trip!

sdjeppa
08-13-2008, 12:56 AM
We live in SD also. We have passes to Legoland and the Zoo, currently, and used to have passes to Sea World. At age 2, Sea world was our favorite. Very clean, walkable, easy to deal with strollers, etc. That said, I love our Zoo. Yes, it has some hills that will give you a workout with strollers. But the Childrens Zoo area is wonderful, and Monkey Trails is great to walk through too. There are a lot of areas to get up close and personal. FYI - you can take strollers on the Skyride (they have to be folded) and if you get the express bus pass, you can take them on there too (that's the one where you can get on and off at different stops). There is also a classic carousel and little train ride outside the zoo exit that are fun :). Another option is the Birch Aquarium. It isn't large so easily doable in a few hours, but fun. You could do that then have lunch in La Jolla and drive down to children's beach to see the seals.

I love our city too. Ask away if you have more questions!

Jenny, mommy to Z 9-27-03

csnoop
08-14-2008, 05:45 PM
OK, I am going to hijack the post as well. My family is going to be in SD for a weekend in Sept as well. My DD will be 13 months in Sept. I was looking at going to Wild Animal Park. We have been to the SD Zoo before DD was born. Is WAP fairly accessible w/a stroller? I thought about going to Sea World (it's been more than 15 years since I've been there) but then I saw the ticket price... yike. We will be spending a day with our friends and I am quite certain that they have annual pass to the Zoo and WAP.

CC

brismom
08-18-2008, 02:06 AM
We had a guest in from out of town and hit up Sea World and Legoland this past weekend.

DD is only 13.5 months but seemed engaged in the shows at Sea World, big difference from when we took her there about a month and a half ago (we have an annual pass since a lot of visitors from out of town want to go to Sea World) The shows and the feeding/petting areas are all fun. And I have to agree that the flat walking surface makes it a lot easier to handle with a stroller.

As for Legoland DD was bored but I had my nephews with me (ages 9 and 11) and they had fun. We were in line for a ride and a lady was not allowed to bring her son on b/c he was below the height limit by a hair, the mom starts getting upset and complains to her husband and I am thinking to myself lady this is for your childs safety, you should appreciate the employee for looking out for your best interests. So you may want to make sure that your child can meet the height requirements before getting their hopes up.

Haven't hit up the zoo with DD but know from experience that there are a lot of hills.

momtoonegirl
08-19-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow! Sounds like a lot of you all like Sea World, too. Decisions, decisions.....

I was checking out some websites about San Diego Zoo/Balboa Park, and WAP, and based on our time constraints with DH's schedule, we decided that we would concentrate our efforts on the Zoo/Balboa Park. We bought a dual membership to the Zoo/WAP, so we could go to the WAP if we are in the area again in the next year.

I have some additional questions about the museums in Balboa Park:
1) Are there any of the museums that are either "great/must see" or "don't bother"?

2) Is it too tiring to have an entire day centered around the zoo/museums?

DD is a pretty well behaved child, that just needs to eat regularly, and take an afternoon nap. Given the park hours of 9-4 at that time, she may just nap at around closing time. If it got to be too tiring for her, I was thinking about breaking up the time and devoting the first day to the zoo, and possibly taking another couple of hours another day for the museums alone, since it will give me something to do while DH is in meetings.

After reading everyone's posts, we may have to come back again and check out Sea World when we have more leisure time :)

Thanks for your help.

Zansu
09-01-2008, 04:23 PM
We'll be in SD for the AAFP conference the weekend of September 19th. Anyone else going for the same conference?

We're doing Sea World on the 19th. We did Legoland a few months ago, and we'll do the zoo next time.

The science museum in Balboa Park is fun and has an IMAX theater.

There's a great coupon for Sea World on the AAA site. You use the code on the Sea World site to get Adult tix for kid price, and kid tix half price. If you have an extra adult, use your Southwest Rapid Rewards card to get 20% off admission