PDA

View Full Version : China... that is so sad... not "cute enought"

jal
08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26153578/

News flash, "cute" little girl singing at the open ceremony at the Olympics was lip-syncing.

OK, that's not so bad. But the reason she was lip-syncing was because the officials decided the real singer wasn't cute enought! They even had the nerve to say how great this was because the talents (beauty and voice) to two girls were show-cased and not just one.

Some how, I don't think the credits ever stated "Lin Miaoke lip-synching to singer Yang Peiyi".

catpagmo
08-12-2008, 01:10 PM
That is sad. I don't get how they keep saying in the article that it was "in the national interest". Um, how is that in the national interest? Are we that shallow? Gosh.

maestramommy
08-12-2008, 01:27 PM
natonal interest means they have to show their "very best" all the time. I wonder when they're going to figure out that playing Big Brother on their people isn't showing them at their best.

Globetrotter
08-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Wow, that is very sad. And the funny thing is... I personally find the real singer cuter! But that shouldn't be a factor.

I heard they had cleared the city of migrant workers and other "undesirables"!

kmak
08-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Yeah, it's the whole cultural difference thing. It's more important that every detail be "perfect" than "authentic".

A co-worker of mine used to work at Hershey's. Only the kisses that were wrapped without any flaws were sent to Japan. The Japanese people wouldn't buy them otherwise. For instance, in a Japanese home you might see 5 kisses sitting on a dish on the table (as opposed to a bowl full here). Or to give someone a Hershey kiss, you would have one sitting on a flat outstreatched hand, so the kiss needs to look really good.

By the way did y'all know that the footstep fireworks were computer animated?

jal
08-12-2008, 01:48 PM
..By the way did y'all know that the footstep fireworks were computer animated?

But at least they were honest about that. The announcers on TV knew at the time and even told the audience during the show. The footsteps actually occured, but they had some legitimate concerns. There was the fear that they would not be able to property capture the live show (and claimed the situation might be dangerous to a helecopter pilot). So they computer animated it to have their best show face on. But again, they were at least honest and upfront about that.

lizajane
08-12-2008, 01:57 PM
i want to vomit all over the person who said she couldn't perform because she had "buck teeth."

VOMIT.

is there a vomiting smiley??? insert that here.