PDA

View Full Version : Sams Club or Costco?

maiaann
08-12-2008, 03:28 PM
We have had a Sams Club membership for several years now but it just "expired" in July. It's fine for us - no complaints - but it's not so wonderful that we wouldn't consider switching. There's also a Costco nearby, but those are the only two warehouse clubs we have here (no BJ's, etc.) Of the two warehouse clubs, which do you prefer? Sams runs us $40/year; I don't know what Costco costs, but I assume it's competetive. I'm curious to know if anyone has any strong opinions on one club or the other, before we renew our membership to Sams.

lexie's mom
08-12-2008, 03:31 PM
The main reason why I love Costco is for their wipes! They are on the "dry-er" side. They also send out coupons. I would go online and see if you can try to compare their selection based on what you purchase at Sam's.

brittone2
08-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Costco, hands down!

I had a Sam's membership years ago. IMO if you have both nearby, there is no comparison.

My savings on contact lenses alone over say WalMart in comparison pay for our membership. They have great prices on eyeglasses as well.

Costco has a decent selection of organics (peanut butter, milk, salad greens, ground beef, animal crackers, whole chickens and chicken breasts, fresh spinach, frozen organic berries, etc.). Maybe Sam's has that now, but with young kids, I find their organics helpful. They also carry brands like Tillamook (yummy cheddar) that are hormone/antibiotic free but not organic, and the price is great. Costco really helps us round out our foods especially in months where there isn't much local produce available.

Costco treats their employees great in comparison to employees of Walmart (owner of Sam's club). They pay a decent working wage (even their starting salary is around 10.00 per hour I believe, and the average is fairly high...$15-16 per hour I think I recall reading). Their CEO makes a reasonable salary in comparison with most.

We started w/ Costco because our dog takes generic Prozac for anxiety. THe vets we worked with directed us to Costco as they have the best price around. Obviously, the dog doesn't have health insurance, and we still only pay about $12 or $15 for a 3 month supply.

Costco gets some nice toys around the holidays. Great deals on things like a Kidkraft train table.

THey also have a fabulous return policy.

I haven't been to Sam's in years, and I'm sure it has changed, but the above are the reasons I like Costco.

theCAS
08-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Costco, hands down!
Costco treats their employees great in comparison to employees of Walmart (owner of Sam's club). They pay a decent working wage (even their starting salary is around 10.00 per hour I believe, and the average is fairly high...$15-16 per hour I think I recall reading). Their CEO makes a reasonable salary in comparison with most.

Another vote for Costco not because of their products but because of it's relationship with Walmart. I will not shop at Walmart because of their business practices and treatment of employees, even if the prices are the cheapest.

lilycat88
08-12-2008, 04:14 PM
We drive by a Sams 20 minutes from our house to go to a Costco 40 minutes from our house.

WatchingThemGrow
08-12-2008, 04:17 PM
We go to Sam's as it is closer to our house. Most everyone I know bases their decision on which one is closer and therefore, more convenient for them. We get gas there, also, which seems to save a lot.

The prepared foods at Costco seem nice, and they do have a good supply of big toys at Christmas, but I've gotten some great deals at Sam's on things we use as well. From what I remember when going with a friend (I do from time to time) they didn't carry Pampers brand or Huggies wipes, which are our favorites. I'm not as into organic aside from my CSA, but there are some products. Not sure of the quantity offered...

I feel like Sam's is pretty consistent and well-stocked, and I can get the stuff we need for a good price. They have new products that are fun to try, but you can pretty much count on them having the things you went there for.

My friends that go to Costco happen to just buy random things because they saw them there and thought it was a good deal. They've bought A LOT OF STUFF over the past few years. I think, for me, it is better to plan my purchases and not have the temptation of walking past cool non-essentials when I'm going to pick up groceries.

Our Sams also has an optometrist and a pharmacy, so you may want to check the prices store to store. We also get our tires/batteries there. One side-note: I've begged our club to fix the shopping carts for many, many months. The double kid seats in the carts are missing straps or seat bottoms or whatever, so it was impossible for me to go during the week with my kids. I finally blew my top in an email to corporate, and they sent me 4 nice emails and had the carts fixed that weekend.

Costco seems to have a good bit of a following on this board, but I wonder if it is because there are more of them in certain areas of the country?

BargainMomforLuke
08-12-2008, 04:21 PM
I've had memberships to both & my vote is for Costco, hands down.

jennifer2saint
08-12-2008, 04:50 PM
In addition to all of the deals, Costco has been written up in numerous business publications for how well they treat their workers. I am so happy to support an organization like that!!!

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_15/b3878084_mz021.htm

http://www.alternet.org/story/19014

ChristinaLucia
08-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Costco for sure!

wiza
08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Costco! without a doubt!

Melbel
08-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Costco for sure!

:yeahthat:

nak

jgenie
08-12-2008, 06:15 PM
We drive by a Sams 20 minutes from our house to go to a Costco 40 minutes from our house.

Same here - Sam's is closer but we drive 20 mins more to shop at Costco.

belovedgandp
08-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Had Sam's for several years, but it was before kids, so we did not use it nearly to the level we do now. We've been with Costco for 5 years now and love it. I still go to Sam's with my mom a couple times a year. See if you can check out the Costco by you. It might take a while to get accustomed to a new layout and products.

Totally my experience with our local stores....

Costco employees are friendlier - greeting and helping with check out.
Parking lot is laid out better, carts are ALWAYS picked up (almost too well when I'm looking for one to put my kid in to roll into the store).
Decent prices at both.

I'm at Costco about 3 times a month. 2 trips will be 30-40 dollars - milk and fruit. The third trip will be 100-200 dollars - diapers, wipes, meat, snack foods, spag sauce, string cheese, raviolis.

I try not to get sucked into buying things but there are always deals. Sometimes items I buy regularly include: kid PJs, kid jeans, socks, seasonal toys (it has started!).

One time purchases that I researched and feel I got a good deal on there: patio umbrella, two TVs, swingset.

ShellB
08-12-2008, 06:38 PM
For certain things, I tend to be brand loyal. So SAMS was better for us, mainly for Pampers in bulk. Costco would get you hooked on something then change it to their Kirkland brand, and for that I was totally let down.

octmom
08-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Costco. We belong to Sam's because it is the only warehouse club in our town, but my mom got her 2nd Costco card in my name, so I go there when it is convenient. The closest Costco to me is about an hour away. I really wish we had Costco rather than Sam's in my town. I think they carry higher quality items, and as others have said, I like their employment practices better than Sam's/ Wal-Mart.

EvaMC
08-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Costco hands down. I feel like everytime I go they are adding to their organic selection, plus they have coupons out all the time. They normally include coupons for pampers and wipes. We love their wipes too!

ZeeBaby
08-12-2008, 10:08 PM
I would say Coscto as well. We have a Sam about 2 miles away, but drive 20 to go to Costco. The stuff at Costco is just much better quality and they have an excellent return policy. Since you buy stuff with your membership card, they stand by products brought at the store and will take them back, no questions asked. Also, we tend to get better deals. I got a free 2 year warranty on my laptop and a special package from HP that was only available at Costco. Now that we have the baby, we love their wipes and their dipes.

CAM7
08-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Correction! We DO have a few Costco stores in Minnesota.

Nevermind. :-)

Emmas Mom
08-12-2008, 10:26 PM
We love Costco too but for the past five years (3 houses) we've lived within a couple miles of one. I love their selection (not only food but toiletries, some clothes, towels, sheets, pillows, throws, holiday gifts, books, movies, gift certificates for theatres & Sees candy, and on and on). We're seriously there at least once a week.....they know us & our daughters have made friends with some of the managers, they gave the girls their own Costco badges. So, I'm a little biased because I've always had great experiences with Costco. HOWEVER, if it was a Sams & I had the same experience I'd belong to them. I'm just one of the few around here who has no issues with Walmart, in fact, we're at Super Walmart at least once a week too (again it's very close-by). ;)

ETA: Another thing I love about Costco is their Executive memberships. It's $100 a year but you get 2% (I think) back on purchases. It will really depend on how much you shop there. Last year I earned about $125.00 & so after my annual membership was paid, they actually gave me $25.00 back. So, it's like they paid me to be a member. Cool.

KrisM
08-12-2008, 10:56 PM
I've had a Sam's membership for a few years. I tried Costco this year. I am changing back. Here is why I like Sam's better:

1. Sam's has signs on their aisles so you know what's there. Costco does not. I don't shop often enough to memorize a store.

2. I can order online and all my stuff is in a cart ready for me the next day. Fabulous, when you are dragging kids through the store.

3. Sam's gas pumps take VISA, as well as others. Costco only takes American Express. I have a VISA :).

4. Sam's has books on book shelves so you can see them. Costco has them stacked on tables - if you're short you can't reach the ones in the middle.

It appears that I am in the minority here. But, I just missed these things about Sam's a lot. The online ordering is a huge thing for me. I just don't want to take 3 kids through a store like that if I can help it.

That said, Costco has a guarantee on their membership - so you can try it and if you don't like it, return it for your money back. I did :)

Tinochka
08-13-2008, 12:36 AM
I would say, Costco.
We had been shopping at Sam's for 2 years, but then I heard about better variety, better service, and, of course, the baby wipes. We decided to switch to Costco. So far, no complaince and I love to use coupons.

Kungjo
08-13-2008, 03:18 AM
Does Costco give out free passes? If so, where can I get one? I go to Sam's all the time, but we just moved to a city that had both. I would love to try it before buying a membership.

Thanks!

connor_mommy
08-13-2008, 09:43 PM
Like a pp said, if you spend enough there and get the executive membership, your rebate pays for your membership. And if you sign up for the Amex card, there's also a rebate with that. Last year I got over $300 back on the Amex and over $150 on the executive membership.

I've never been to Sam's to compare. There isn't one close enough to me. The nice thing about Costco is that almost all of the stores have the same layout. So, it's not that hard to look for things once you've figured out where things are.

August Mom
08-14-2008, 10:08 AM
We were Sam's members for years but a new Costco opened much closer to our house and we tried it this year. Both have their pros and cons. A lot depends on what what you like to buy at warehouse clubs and how brand loyal you are. Being used to Sam's, I miss some of our favorite items that aren't available at Costco (Quilted Northern, Kraft shredded cheese in a 2 pack - you can only get shredded cheese in 1 huge bag at Costco, Huggies unscented Natural Care wipes, Stauffer's Animal Crackers, On the Border chips and salsa to name a few). Costco likes to have a lot more of their house brand, Kirkland, items. Some I've liked and some I haven't. Costco does have more organic items, I think. Also, we got a great deal on a rental car through the travel section of Costco. The Sam's price was much more expensive (basically the same as going directly through a rental car site). I agree that Costco employees seem friendlier and more helpful for the most part.

So, overall, I think I like the product selection better at Sam's, the shopping experience more at Costco and the convenience of Costco. If Sam's was located closer to my home, though, I think I'd give it the definite advantage.

shoremom
08-14-2008, 11:08 AM
Costco!! I go to BJs over Sam's. They are the only ones near us. But I've heard great things about Costco wipes/diapers. I think one of the major companies makes diapers for the Costco brand. I just never followed up because I couldn't shop there.

citymama
08-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Absolutely Costco. I actually base my decision on the politics/ethics of these companies, and Costco is way more progressive than Sam's and the Wal-Mart empire.

momtoclaire
08-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Definitely Costco! We have the executive membership and paid for our membership + some extra $$$ back last year. I have two neighbors who do not wish to buy a membership so they go with me on occasion also which helps to pay for the membership with the 2% rebate. I agree with previous posters regarding Costco having much better employment practices. We have always been uncomfortable with the way the parent company treats the employees at Wal-mart. My husband calls Sam's "Wal-mart with a membership fee." On a positive note, I did feel Sam's had a nice variety of merchandise. I wish Costco would have a cart full of items ready for pickup -- that is a nice perk!

Juli

Percycat
08-15-2008, 12:51 PM
We have memberships to both. I shop at Sams most becuase it is closer and we have business membership that lets me shop at 7:30 on Saturday, but I like shopping at Costco better. The membership at Costco costs more. My membership at Costco is with my mom, who has an executive membership/American Express card (I have the 'extra card' and use my own American Express). She has that membership because she gets cash back and the the cash back more than pays for the membership.

Sams is 10 minutes away, easier to get to from all directions, and has several locations in our metropolitan area. Costco is a 20 minute drive.

WatchingThemGrow
08-15-2008, 02:04 PM
we have business membership [at Sam's] that lets me shop at 7:30 on Saturday, but I like shopping at Costco better.

After this thread I thought about visiting Costco with a friend, as I do from time to time. She said they don't open until 11. Is that all of them? Sams has let me in early during the business hours as long as I don't check out until regular hours start. I know DH gets gas at Sam's on the way to work (before 8) occasionally, so I wonder about the gas pumps at both stores and their hours.

schrocat
08-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Costco opens at 10 am on weekdays for their executive members.

sarahbrown29
08-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I love Costco! They have great deals on clothes - DH gets polo shirts & pants there for dirt cheap prices and my BIL gets all of his dress shirts there.

I second the PP for their selection of organic items. And you can't beat their deals on photo printing or Christmas cards!

Yet another reason I like them ... they don't charge more than like 4% more than what they pay for something (it is something ridiculously low like that.)

LOVE COSTCO!

brismom
08-18-2008, 02:16 AM
Costco gal here, split my executive membership with my sister and it pays for itself plus some more after we get our 2% back. DH and I even booked our honeymoon to Tahiti through Costco a few years back, good deals

Jacksbean
08-20-2008, 03:14 PM
I'll add my vote for Costco too, although I do have a membership for BJ's because it's closer and when you run out of diapers, a mom's gotta do... BJ's also has packaged fresh meat, fish, veggies, and some bakery products in smaller quantities. So I like that.

Anyway, even though Costco is further away, I can't do without some of their own brand (Kirkland Signature) products. I love their paper towels, very thick and absorbant. I've tried other brands; these are the best. (I heard they were rated #1 or #2 recently on Good Morning America.) My eye doctor is there and the prices for glasses are really great.

Also I used their formula exclusively after running out of the free samples. You get 2 cans for $20 (I don't remember total ozs. but it added up to more than the large can of Enfamil). I researched the formula and checked with the pediatrician and DS had no problems with it. DS is now 2 y.o. now and on milk, but the price hasn't changed.

The best for me, especially after having my DS, is to download my digital photos from home and pick them up by the time I get to the Costco. Also, they have alot of other photo products (cards, collages, etc.) you can order from their website and pick them up there. Some things will have to be shipped from somewhere else, but they are pretty fast.

Anyway even though I have two memberships, I think I do save enough in both to make it worth it. If I had to go with only one, it would be Costco. Good luck!

Zena
Lancaster, PA