PDA

View Full Version : enough with the olympic controversy coverage already!!!!

lizajane
08-12-2008, 07:11 PM
fake fireworks, lip syncing kid, photos of basketball teams, mark spitz bitter he didn't get invited to see phelps try to break his record...

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!! how about some POSITIVE coverage without all the negativity!!!

how about how the american relay team did NOT talk smack back to the french????

how about how vounteers dug through sand just to find someone's wedding ring!

how about how athletes parents worked so hard for the kids to be able to attend practices every day for YEARS to make their dreams come true? like phelps mom and sisters being there for every race!!

how about how the american men's gymnastics team rocked in spite of last minute changes and that texan nailed his events?

what else have you seen that is positive????

Puddy73
08-12-2008, 07:31 PM
The opening ceremonies were AMAZING! The amount of time and work that the planners and performers put into it is just incredible. I'm so embarrassed that the Atlanta Olympics had a monster truck show for their opening ceremony.

I'm really loving watching the Olympics with the kids every night.

elektra
08-12-2008, 07:32 PM
two 1st generation American girls from LA on the water polo team who have beaten the odds to have success in the pool.

The softball team going strong and keeping great attitudes despite their event being kicked out of the London Olympics

Laura Berg on the softball team pranking President Bush! He was a good sport but what if he wasn't??

That 33 yo female gymnast competing for Germany who does her sport in part to support her child with Leukemia (edited because I had all the facts wrong)

THe US men's basketball team saying how honored they are to be there, and that they are not going to mess around this year. Other athletes have also commented on how nice the NBA guys are being, I guess compared to last Olympics. I saw some of them sitting with Jason Lezak after his relay swim. Jason Kidd also attended the women's beach volleyball since Misty May-Treanor was a fan of his.

Also, there are quite a few mom athletes competing! Go Moms!

pb&j
08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
I had tears in my eyes when Phelps won his first gold, and the reporter asked him what his emotions were and he said he was just trying to find his mom in the stands! And last night he gave his bouquet to his sister. His momma done raised him right. :)

Did you see the bit on the 33 yr old gymnast? She is competing for the German team - had competed for the Russian team in 1992, has since had a child who had leukemia. She moved to Germany to get him treatment, and is now on their Olympic team!!

Emmas Mom
08-12-2008, 10:43 PM
I was very moved by Israeli swimmer Alon Mandel who stayed despite finding out that his father had been killed after falling off a ladder back in Israel. He competed in his race anyway & broke the Israeli national record. Even though he didn't make the semi finals (200m butterfly) I think he is inspiring.

maestramommy
08-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Here's something:

Last night I was watching the Olympics for the first time (been busy), and I saw women's synchronized diving. Never even knew that was an event. First the American team, Hmm! Pretty Good! Then the Mexicans, oooh, very nice! The Chinese, OMG!

Then saw Michael Phelps win the 200 meter butterfly. Not even close. The guy is amazing. This morning I read his goggles filled up with water at the 150 meter mark. :bowdown:

jamierush
08-13-2008, 01:39 PM
The opening ceremonies were AMAZING! The amount of time and work that the planners and performers put into it is just incredible. I'm so embarrassed that the Atlanta Olympics had a monster truck show for their opening ceremony.

I'm really loving watching the Olympics with the kids every night.

As someone who was lucky enough to attand the opening ceramonies in Atlanta, it was far from a Monster truck Show, rather just regular Chevy trucks that were used in a 15 minute theme of the over all 3.5 hour show.
The trucks were used for was in the spirit of the strong high school and college sports along with school bands, cheerleaders and bands, so i take that with a grain of salt and actually with a little southern pride since pickup trucks are the universal not only in southern sports but nationwide for Friday night games and school spirit events.

For the 15 minutes of a 3.5 hour spectacular show, I think that the current critiscim in the media is a little biased. I think back and remember wonderful event with local children, hundred of gospel singers, beautiful lightshows and most importantly the suprise of Muhamad Ali lighting the flame.

The reality is that the Atlanta Olympic Games were 100% privately funded except for security, as opposed to China, Athens, Sydney etc. so while the China show was spectacular, and it truely was, spectacular, I think that given the major differences in the Republic of China funded budget vs a US even that was not supported by taxpayer dollars is truely not a comparission. China has way more political and economic issues on the table with hosting the Olympics to not go all out and wow the international stage with an unlimited budget. I did think China's show was a cultural sucess and spectacular. I also think that tecnology has come so far in the last 15 years and that also contributted to the wow factor in China. But I hate that it is making everyone go back to the past opening shows and say negative things about that in comparision.

Personally, I think 92 Barcelona's opening show was my favorite over all of them in the last 20 years.

jamierush
08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Dana Torres is spectacular.

I love watching the teams show genuine support for one another.

LOVED the interview with M. Phelps mom, she was great.

I love the arcitecture of the water cube, it is stunning. the beehive eh not so much.

I can't wait for the track and field, that is my fav

rlu
08-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Then saw Michael Phelps win the 200 meter butterfly. This morning I read his goggles filled up with water at the 150 meter mark.

I loved the Bob Costas remark to the effect - if you ever wondered if Michael Phelps could this with his eyes closed - you have your answer.

Now we just need to teach the words to the Star Spangled Banner to Michael and all the US athletes. It's a little embarassing to watch athletes from other countries sing their anthem and ours not (I haven't watched all the ceremonies though, maybe I'm wrong.)

In the spirit of this thread - watching her teammates console Alicia last night and the thankfully more discrete camerawork during it