PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to clean an acrylic tub?

julieakc
08-13-2008, 12:33 PM
We just remodeled our bathrooms and now I have a brand new acrylic tub. The care instructions say not to use anything harsh (like scouring powder). I have switched most of my cleaning stuff to natural stuff like vinegar, but when I used that the other day I felt there was still a bit of a film left, so I'm just wondering what other people use. I have to admit that in the old cast iron tub I did still use soft scrub because that's what made me feel like it was really clean. I don't know if baking soda would be considered too harsh for the acrylic.

TIA

MaiseyDog
08-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Sorry posted and then realized you said you had switched to natural cleaners. We were told most any non harsh cleaner is fine. I usually use fantastic or 409 because that's what I have. We were also told that dish washing liquid did a good job. I really don't think baking soda would be harsh at all. Here is the list of products we were told NOT to use. They seem really harsh.

"DO NOT Clean Your Acrylic Bathtub with Paint Thinner, Goof OFF®, Scrubbing Bubbles®, Acetone, Lacquer Thinner, M.E.K. ® or other chemicals that attack the structural integrity of plastics (including, but not limited to, acetones). Use of these chemicals will destroy the acrylic surface of your bathtub and there is no way to reverse the damage caused by this type of chemical reaction. Use of these chemicals will void your warranty."

brittone2
08-14-2008, 08:28 PM
Bon Ami is gently abrasive and it says it can be used on countertops, etc. YMMV and you might want to test an area first or look into it more. Baking soda is an even gentler abrasive and should rinse clean with vinegar. But...I wouldn't want you to damage your tub so I'd look into it a bit before you try those things.

WatchingThemGrow
08-14-2008, 09:40 PM
We're toxic here, but Clorox Clean up spray does a nice job on our acrylic jetted tub. If someone suggests something effective/easy/natural, I'm willing to try it.

kijip
08-14-2008, 10:09 PM
I use Bon Ami in mine with no issues. Testing first is a wise idea.

julieakc
08-15-2008, 01:00 AM
Thanks everyone.

I'll probably try the dishwashing liquid or baking soda first since I have those on hand.

Katie - I'm glad to hear that Bon Ami is working for you - I might have to pick up some. When I was growing up we had a glass top stove and I remember that's what my mom was told to use because other products were too harsh.