PDA

View Full Version : Build your own swingset or treehouse?

toby
08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone has built a swingset, either from a kit (with hardware included) or from scratch. I am interested in any details including what kind of wood you used. We also may try to build a treehouse, so I would love any tips on that.

Thanks!

brittone2
08-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Dh built one. We used cedar logs (from our woods) as the uprights, and then we found a person locally that would mill cedar for us at a reasonable price and we used that for the planks, etc.

What he built is basically like a large fort. Because of the logs as the big pillar/uprights, it looks a little rustic/treehouse-esque. It is large enough for 2-3 people to sleep in (including adults) which is what I wanted for when DS is a little older. Underneath it, it is about 5 feet tall so that works as a playhouse (we have a table and benches under there). There is a big slide down from the fort portion. One side of the playhouse has a countertop so we can make it into a little market (and there's a little open/closed sign hanging up that my dad made. We have a little overhang/canopy over that countertop too, and I bought Sunbrella outdoor fabric to attach to it, but I haven't gotten that part completed yet.
Two other sides of the playhouse are cedar lattice. One side is totally open and that side has some rings from Ikea hanging under it.

Then separately we have a metal swingset.

I'll see if I can post a pic of DH's handiwork later tonight.

toby
08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
If you get the chance, I would love to see pictures. Do you rent out your DH? :D