PDA

View Full Version : if i want a Treadmill (that isn't too much $$) where do i start looking???

lizajane
08-13-2008, 08:42 PM
i really want a treadmill to have at home. something that folds and rolls away. but i can't spend a lot of money. i do NOT want something flimsy that shakes and makes terrible noises and doesn't have a decent computer. and i could get something used from craigslist. but i just don't have any idea where to start researching. anyone have one that was a good value (or can be bought used for less) that they love?

ThreeofUs
08-13-2008, 08:48 PM
I tried many treadmills and other trainers until I bought my current, high-end elliptical. The best advice I can give you, if you want to buy in the under-$1000 range, is to buy with an extended warranty.

Maybe I just had bad luck with all my machines, but every one of them broke repeatedly under moderate use. (I'm not super-heavy and wasn't trying to kill the machine....) The repair folks all said that there were a few decent brands (Diamondback was one, but that was a couple of years ago), and that for everything else get the longest extended warranty you can.

fortato
08-13-2008, 09:02 PM
We have a Horizon Fitness 2.3T treadmill. We researched and shopped everywhere until we found a place that sold JUST fitness equipment.

We wanted a treadmill that folded up, but also had a wider belt and a longer platform- DH has a long stride.

Don't settle on a treadmill because of the price, make sure it has the features you are looking for.

I highly recommend Horizon Fitness.

geochick
08-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Treadmill reviews in all categories (cheap to spendy):
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/health_and_fitness/treadmills/

Consumersearch has never lead us astray. Don't forget to read the section called "Full Story."

Between dh and I, we spend about 10 hours each week on the treadmill. It's a fantastic way to burn calories. It's very efficient. I highly recommend getting the extended warranty if you plan to be serious about using your treadmill. We have the repair guy come at least once a year for preventive stuff and the occasional fix. We have a Proform.

KBecks
08-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I think it depends on how serious of a runner you are and how much use you will put on a treadmill, but I'd scout Craigslist and see if you just can't find a high end one that someone is unloading for cheap. Of course you will need to inspect it and try it out and all that.

shilo
08-13-2008, 10:24 PM
My YMCA sells off their used "industrial strength" equipment during August each year when they close for yearly maintenance. another regular in my spinning class picked up a top-of-the-line 2 year old elliptical last year. it was fully serviced before the sale and has had zero issues this past year, so he was just talking about buying a treadmill or spin bike from them in this year's sell off. you might also try calling local repair men and asking around that way? i know i got a great short list from the guy who came out to service our washing machine on what to consider replacing our current problem-prone one with (you'd think it wouldn't be in their best interest to share, but when i started researching his short list, they were consistently strongly reviewed models).

hth, lori

m448
08-13-2008, 11:48 PM
LOL - we're selling our Landice 7 on craigslist. It doesn't fold up but it's a health club quality treadmill and we happen to be in your area. ;)

Just trying to reclaim some space.

Happy 2B mommy
08-14-2008, 12:10 AM
We have a 3 year old Proform tht we purchased from Sears. We aren't serious runners, usually we just walk or lightly jog. We are pretty impressed with the length and width of the belt and DH, who has knee issues really likes the shocks. However, it's not the most reliable thing. We got the extended warranty and have had repairs on it twice.

tylersmama
08-14-2008, 12:48 AM
Definitely do some serious research into it. I'm pretty sure that if you're seriously running, a fold-up treadmill is not a good idea. They're just not sturdy and reliable enough to take that kind of wear and tear. If you're just going to be walking and/or very light jogging, then it will probably be ok. I have not heard good things in general about the space-saver models.

lizajane
08-14-2008, 08:31 AM
I think it depends on how serious of a runner you are and how much use you will put on a treadmill, but I'd scout Craigslist and see if you just can't find a high end one that someone is unloading for cheap. Of course you will need to inspect it and try it out and all that.

currently (unless someone is sick, etc) i go to the gym 3-6 times/week, usually 4 times, and i run for 25-35 minutes with a warm up and cool down. so i usually total between 35 and 45 minutes on the machine. i am not currently in shape. so when i get back into shape (i had a mole removed from my foot and couldn't run for two months) i expect to run 3-6 days/week for about 45 minutes at speed 6, or a 10 minute mile, with interval training going up to 7. i currently weigh (deep breath...) 169. so i don't want anything flimsy!

DH says he won't use it much (liar) because he wants to be outside (outside snob ;)) but he is a VERY serious runner. he runs about an 8 minute mile for distance, 7 minute for a quick few miles. he runs 6-10 miles when he heads outside for a run, usually about an hour or just over. he isn't training for anything now (does triathlons in the summer) but often does 1/2 marathons and has done 2 marathons. (i have done 1) it is not unusual for him to run 15 miles with friends on a weekend if they are training for a race and he is not. he is 6'2" and weighs 185ish, so he would put a strain on the machine from his size.

i also want to walk on it while watching tv at night. i will often just keep on walkin' at the gym after i finish my running workout if i am interested in what is on the TVs.

ETA: and i sure wouldn't mind letting my 5 year old walk on it when he is stuck inside on a rainy day!!! supervised, of course. but we need some creative ways to expend some wild energy. i could put the treadmill right beside a mini tramp and we could "work out" together and get two birds with one stone!

lizajane
08-14-2008, 08:32 AM
LOL - we're selling our Landice 7 on craigslist. It doesn't fold up but it's a health club quality treadmill and we happen to be in your area. ;)

Just trying to reclaim some space.

spam me! send me a PM!