PDA

View Full Version : light sleeper - - noise issues

sste
08-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Our son is a great sleeper in that he routinely goes to bed at 630pm and sleeps through to 6am . . . however, he wakes up easily if there is noise, even small amounts. His room is behind the kitchen and we have a yappy dog so its impossible to have zero noise from 6pm on. When he wakes up we usually don't go to him, he cries for five minutes, then goes back to sleep - - naps are trickier and he is often up for good.

Do you all rec. white noise machines? Some other solution? I am worrying about damaging his hearing with constant white noise. But, its a big problem that we can't get into the kitchen for 15 hours per day (naps plus bedtime) . . .

pastrygirl
08-14-2008, 08:53 AM
My son was a very light sleeper and I used white noise in his room (and even in the car if I wanted him to sleep). I stopped using it when he turned two, because he seemed to be able to sleep without it by then.

Without the white noise, everything woke him up, even someone going up the stairs or opening a door. No shoes were allowed on the stairs all that time, and no one was allowed to use the upstairs bathroom if Toby was sleeping (and we tried to restrict anyone from even going upstairs). It was much better with the white noise!

racerl1
08-14-2008, 01:12 PM
We put a CD player in DS's room and play a lullaby CD (all instrumental) when he naps. Last night it stormed pretty hard, and the thunder disturbed him, so we just put his music on. I keep it on pretty low, so it doesn't drown out all noise, but it makes it much less noticeable.

mamaoftwins
08-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Sorry if I'm too late here! Our guys room is right behind the kitchen also. We use the Sleep Sheep. I can't sing the praises of this thing enough. Luckily, on quiet nights, trips, etc., they easliy fall asleep without it, but when it's noisy in the house, Sleep Sheep saves the day! (or saves the "night" I should say!)

http://www.cloudb.com/ssandf/sheep.html

Amazon has it, I believe.

We also have the Twilight Turtle, and we love that, too. I may have to spring for Lavendar Lab as well. ;)

sste
08-24-2008, 11:31 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

Actually, we have a mini sleep sheep but never really used it. How long does the music play for? What sound setting do you use?

The first hour the baby is sleeping is the extreme danger zone but he wakes up at all times. Share your sleep sheep tips!

wendibird22
08-25-2008, 08:34 AM
I just bought this Homemedics sound machine from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It was only $20 and has 6 different sounds and 3 different auto shutoff settings. So far we like it.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=13630208

TraciG
08-29-2008, 11:27 AM
The Bed Bath & Beyond one look's nice but is there a sound machine that will stay on all night ??

My DD sleep's with lullaby music since she's 5 month's old, she is now almost 5 & I still put it on, not really sure why I do since she can sleep without it !

My 6 month old son is a very light sleeper, I know I have to buy a CD player or sound machine when they shut off our aircondtioner's, we live in a small apt.

wendibird22
08-29-2008, 12:30 PM
The BBB one I posted a link to can stay on all night. It just has the option for auto shut off.

neeleymartin
08-30-2008, 10:01 PM
we use the dex sound sleeper. it has many sounds. we use the rain (sounds most like white noise, which it doesn't have) we like it because it has a battery backup. so when the power goes out and the house is eerily quiet the noise machine can still run. you have to go in and pull the power cord out but not a huge deal. it is also better for travel. you don't need to plug it in.

LOVE it. $20 i think. brus has it.
n

WatchingThemGrow
08-30-2008, 10:17 PM
I read about the Marpac sound machines on here. When I went for a facial :) they had one there - the 980. When we find some extra money, we're going to invest in the travel one probably, so we can take it with us easily. Hotel room sleeping was hard for DD at one point and we were scarred.

bubbaray
08-30-2008, 10:24 PM
We use a Honeywell HEPA filter as our white noise -- reduces allergens in their rooms too.