PDA

View Full Version : 2 month vaccinations

kedss
08-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi all-

We have Hannah's 2 motnh appointment on Saturday, and if our Dr's office goes by the recommended schedule, she will have five shots. I don't remember DS having that many at 2 months, course I don't remember much from that time.

Has anyone recently had a 2 month check up and done all five, or decided to spread them out?

Any btdt would be appreciated-
thanks!

brittone2
08-14-2008, 11:54 AM
If you aren't comfortable giving all 5 at once, don't do all 5 at once. :) There are quite a few parents here that delay/spread out vaxes or only selectively vax.

If you choose to spread them out you'll probably get charged for a brief office visit when you come back again (assuming you go back in between say the 2 and 4 month WBV).

Stephanie Cave's book is one that has a delayed schedule if you are interested.

I'll leave it at that.

megs4413
08-14-2008, 11:59 AM
we did both...

with DD we followed the recommended schedule and she got all 5 at 5mos.

with DS we followed a delayed/selective vax schedule and he never gets more than 2 at a time and never more than once every six weeks. we have skipped some vaxes altogether.

I was uncomfortable with vaxing DD the way we did, but was young and inexperienced in these matters and just did what I was told like a good girl. I wanted to be comfortable with my choices this time around (cause vaxing schedule really is YOUR choice!) so I tailored the schedule to my comfort level (using Dr. Sears' suggestions). I am much happier doing it this way than the other way for obvious reasons. I suggest reading up as much as you can before the appointment and deciding what you feel comfortable with. Also talk to your doc about your concerns BEFORE they give your baby any shots. Hopefully you will figure out what you're comfortable with! Best wishes!

MaiseyDog
08-14-2008, 03:50 PM
If you are uncomfortable with the number of vaccines, by all means, explore delayed vaccination. If it is just the shear number of shots, keep in mind that with combination vaccines that are available now, most likely, in a traditional Peds clinic, it won't be that many actual injections. For example, at 2 months my DD got 3 shots (Prevnar, Pediarix, and Hib) plus rotavirus. Some people aren't comfortable with combination vaccines, but personally, having looked intensely at the research, I was fine with it. I just wasn't sure if you were worried about the number of vaccines or the actual number of needles involved.

MommyAllison
08-14-2008, 04:37 PM
We decided to delay for DS and didn't do any vax at the 2 month visit. We are going to be loosely following the delayed schedule in Stephanie Cave's book, and there are a couple vax that we won't be doing at all. FWIW, when I told my pedi, she had a recommendation of which one to do first when we do start, so that DS would have protection in the winter against that illness. I think it was Hib? Can't remember now.

pb&j
08-14-2008, 05:08 PM
I only remember DS getting 4 at the 2 mo visit. I've been giving more thought to a delayed vax schedule w/the new baby, but with both of them in day care, it's a really tough call for me. As it was, we ended up delaying a couple of his vaxes later on because he was in a clinical trial for Menactra (meningitis) that couldn't be given w/in a certain time before or after other vaxes.

firsttimemama
08-14-2008, 05:14 PM
DS is 8 mo and we haven't done any vax yet. There is an extensive vaccinations forum - for vaxing, selective, delayed, or not vaxing, at mothering.com on the message boards

JMS
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM
There are many, many past posts on this if you do a search and there are quite a few of us who delay/selectively vax here. If you want an even more conservative (I think that's the right word) place to read about people's thoughts and decisions regarding vaccinations, check out the mothering.com message boards. There is controversial evidence both ways. Unfortunately you have to do the research to decide what you are comfortable with for your own kids. As a PP stated, Stephanie Cave's book is a great place to start. You can always reschedule your 2 month appt until you've had adequate time to research the pros and cons or all, none or just some :)
Good Luck - it's can be a difficult decision to make.

JBaxter
08-14-2008, 07:27 PM
Dr Sears has a book on called the vaccine book. We will be delaying all vaccines unitl after 12 months ( possibley 24 months) with this baby.

wellyes
08-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Just a word of caution, mothering.com is a 'natural living' site and has a strong anti-vaccination bent. Which is OK, but don't go in there expecting to hear from a variety of viewpoints.

My daughter got 3 shots and the rotavirus (liquid) at 2 months. I have no regrets, I'm a believer. But I will say it was tough to watch her smile at the doctor, then looked utterly shocked, then cry in pain. I hugged her and hugged her afterward. Poor baby!

scrooks
08-14-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm pro vaccination as well but I was a little nervous at my DD's 12 month appointment. She got 4 shots and did very well. I hightly recommend Dr. Sears book. I think it's VERY balanced. Some of the other things I've seen online are really anti or really pro and don't really give you straight facts. Dr. Sears book is broken down vaccine by vaccine and gives all the info you could possibly want.

kijip
08-14-2008, 08:21 PM
T got three at 2 months and I was fine with that. I guess they have added things on in the last five years (we were never given a rotovirus vax).

maestramommy
08-14-2008, 08:23 PM
For both girls I've vaccinated almost entirely on schedule, so at the 2 month mark, we had whatever was indicated. We are a little behind right now, but not necessarily from choice.

mommyp
08-14-2008, 08:46 PM
We did them all and she had no ill effects, other than being a little extra tired. Even the crying was very brief, the nurse did them super fast and DD was in our arms to be comforted and then I nursed her, which calmed her as well. Same thing at 4 and 6 mo appts.

SnuggleBuggles
08-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I read the Dr. Sears' book prior to the 2m check up and made some personal choices on what vaxxes to do then. We did DTaP and one other. A month later we did Prevnar. I skipped Rotavirus and Hep B.

Beth

hez
08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
I only remember DS getting 4 at the 2 mo visit. I've been giving more thought to a delayed vax schedule w/the new baby, but with both of them in day care, it's a really tough call for me. As it was, we ended up delaying a couple of his vaxes later on because he was in a clinical trial for Menactra (meningitis) that couldn't be given w/in a certain time before or after other vaxes.

There were only 4 for my DS, also. There were 5 suggested for DD this time around. The fifth (new) was an oral vax for rotavirus. I chose to skip that one for now.

WatchingThemGrow
08-14-2008, 09:33 PM
We did them according to schedule - except for HiB which was recalled earlier this year, IIRC. After getting through 2 rounds of Rotavirus with DD, and having no less than a month of puking/diarrhea her first winter, AND having DH out of work for a week AND pregnant me flat out of commission for 9 days straight, we were SO excited to see a Rota vaccine back on the market. Nursing immediately following shots always helps.

sidmand
08-14-2008, 10:44 PM
Every time DD or DS gets a vaccine I am totally paranoid and worried and fear the worst. DS IS on the spectrum, although I honestly don't believe (in his case) the vaccines had anything to do with it, but there are A LOT of vaccines nowadays for a very young immune system.

So we are following Dr. Sears delayed vax schedule in The Vaccine Book. We had a three-month (and will have a five-month) shot/vaccine only appointment. We were not charged for the appointment. Each visit we get no more than two vaccines and only one containing aluminum...I decided against the rotavirus vaccine completely and we may be able to opt out of the chicken pox vaccine due to DS's diagnosis (the one I do regret giving DS). DS has also only have the flu shot once I think. And I'll think about that one when it comes time for flu season...

Although the receptionist doesn't get it at all! I told her I needed a five-month appointment for vaccines and she said, "So you didn't get them all today?" I said "no." She said, "Okay, what day/time works best." I said any time. She said, "How about later this week?" Uh, no. "Okay, how about next week?" Yeah, how about AT FIVE MONTHS since we're DELAYING ON PURPOSE. I haven't been so thrilled with the receptionist anyway!

kedss
08-17-2008, 04:57 AM
Thanks, everybody!

I appreciate all the responses, she did end up getting 4 yesterday, no rotavirus, and I'm feeling okay about it. I just worried that it seemed a lot for her system, even my mom who is a pediatrician thought the recommended schedule seemed a bit much, but Hannah had a good day after the appointment and is sleeping soundly right now. :)

I know vax are controversial, but I truly appreciate being able to come to this board and know I can get both sides of these tough questions we all deal with at times!

:grouphug:

CAM7
08-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Here is a good website for info on vaccines... talks about a lot of different issues...and has a message board too.

http://insidevaccines.com/wordpress/