PDA

View Full Version : Anyone waiting to be matched?

DAK
08-14-2008, 02:37 PM
I am currently waiting to be matched and was wondering if there are any others waiting. Looks like there is not alot of current posts here.

Hoping to bump it up a bit.

Thanks
D

sadie427
08-15-2008, 09:26 PM
Yes--keep meaning to post a post like this myself. We are officially waiting to adopt since Wednesday, when we brought our profiles to the agency. It will be child #2 but adoption #1. Feeling a little anxious already--but I'm sure I'll settle into the wait. We expect to wait up to 18 mo (we might give up past a year or 18 mo), but the agency has an average of 3 to 11 months, so it could be sooner. We were already presented with a situation last week, but it was way out of our comfort zone and we asked not to be shown. How long have you been waiting? Good luck everyone!

----
S
DS 2003

knoelani
08-17-2008, 06:39 PM
We're waiting for a match :)

We've been active with our agency since early May. We're one of two families being considered right now and we should know something this week! Good luck to both of you.

sadie427
08-17-2008, 11:07 PM
Good luck knoelani! Is this your first potential match?

DAK
08-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi to you both. Good to talk to someone who is waiting. We have been waiting a few weeks now, probably closer to a month. We are working with a Consultant and doing advertising on our own through different ads that are recommended by our adoption atty. The person we are working w/only handles about 10-12 couples so we're hoping to get chosen by a BM rather quickly. Although I am totally unprepared.

We are doing a domestic adoption.

I am curious if you are both doing domestic and if so, will you have to travel out of state and stay 2 wks waiting for finalization (assuming so)?

If so, what are you bringing for the baby to sleep in?? That is my biggest worry, that it will be a situation that is last minute and all I will have is a car seat....

After being an infertile for so long, I am in the "I don't want to do the babies room or get furniture" since I don't want to have to look at it every day, if that makes sense. I have nothing, not even a bottle ; )

knoelani, How is it going?

How about you guys? Sadie, I know this is 2 for you so prob. a little different.

sadie427
08-21-2008, 12:52 AM
We are also doing domestic adoption and will have to travel and wait for ICPC.

There's another thread that talks about where the baby would sleep in the hotel. There were some good suggestions--a couple of products you can buy that are basically small portable baby beds; or a pack and play; or ask the hotel for a crib; or line a dresser drawer w/ a blanket; or co-sleep. We will likely check our pack n-play, although the new airline checked luggage charges give me pause. We will probably try to minimize our other luggage--we will obviously be doing laundry while we're there so we just will try to bring as little as possible.

Although this will be our second child, it's been a long road to get to this point, so I'm also sort of guarded against further disappointment. We aren't preparing yet either, and only have some of the useful stuff (no crib, etc). I may change my mind about that though, I do think this adoption will happen eventually.

DAK, I tried to PM you but I think your PM feature is disabled, PM or email me through the boards if you want to "talk" more.

amyff
08-25-2008, 12:42 AM
We are also going through the domestic open adoption process (it will be our first adoption and third child). Our first home study was last wednesday (we have 1-2 more before we can "wait" for a match). I would love to hear more about all of your situations and status!

DAK
08-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I am so sorry it took me so long to get back. I am off on Friday's and really wasn't home too much this weekend.

Hi Amy! Congrats to you. Sounds like you are on your way! Are you going w/an agency?

I did 7 in-vitros and cannot have my own. It is not DH, it is me. We've decided enough is enough. This will be our first child, our first adoption. We are both excited. We're in our 40s so hoping it happens sooner rather than later. Actually, wait. I am JUST 40 ; )

Sadie, where in the world do I go to turn on the PM?? I cannot figure it out nor can I figure out how to email you. Can you let me know how? I understand the long road. It has been 6 yrs for me and I am too afraid of disappointment. My only saving grace is that this is not like infertility in that I KNOW I will have a baby at the end. Even if we have a failed match, there Will be someone out there for us.... THat is my positive edge for now ; )

I am thinking a pack and play myself for sleeping. I am not too comfortable w/using hotel crib bedding. Do you know where that thread is? What are people saying about that Amby Baby? Have you heard? Expensive but looks like it would travel real well. Now I hear some women fly home with babies on their laps as opposed to buying a seat??? I am so confused.

~sigh~ so much to worry about....

sadie427
08-26-2008, 06:27 PM
DAK, the thread about sleeping options was started by knoelani and is a few posts down from this one in the adoption section.

About traveling home with the baby--babies under 24 mo can fly free on a parent's lap, and if you plan to do that but there is an empty seat the airline will often move you and let you use that seat. There are very few empty seats on planes these days, however. This is kind of a controversial topic and there is more about that here on the car seat forum. It is generally thought to be safer to purchase a seat, but many people do use the "lap baby" option.

We always bought a seat for DS, but didn't travel a lot with him when he was a very young baby and IMO it would be pretty difficult to keep a toddler on your lap for a whole plane ride, DS was much happier in his car seat. We may or may not buy a seat for the new baby coming home from picking him/her up, the airplane trip will likely be very expensive because it will be short notice so we may not be able to afford it. Some airlines have infant fares, but they generally aren't less than a regular discount fare from the internet. I believe you do need to let the airline know you are traveling with a "lap baby" when you buy the ticket. I also heard you need a letter from a doctor in order to fly with a baby who is less than two weeks old, so that is something to ask the airline when the time comes.

HTH.

alrusso
08-29-2008, 12:02 AM
:yay: We have been waiting for 5 months and were just matched last week! We are doing a domestic adoption within our state...only 2 counties away. This is our first child. We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet.

For those of you waiting for a match, it will happen!

Angela

amyff
09-01-2008, 05:15 PM
:yay: We have been waiting for 5 months and were just matched last week! We are doing a domestic adoption within our state...only 2 counties away. This is our first child. We don't know if it's a boy or girl yet.

Congratulations, Angela!
I am so excited to hear about any new developments!
We just finished our homestudy on Fri. We are hoping to be approved by our agency this month and then we are in the pool!
WooHoo!
Amy

cottagemom
09-03-2008, 01:25 PM
My husband and I have adopted domestically twice. Both times, from the time we became active, to the time of the birth, was 9 months. Go figure!

Here is how we travelled, and if we do it again, there is not much I would change.

1. I went 2 weeks befor the due date and stayed in the same city as the birth mom. Both births were induced and my husband was able to come the night before.

2. I stayed in a Marriot Residence Inn. Huge 2 bedroom apt. with a full kitchen. Buffet Breakfast and light dinner included most nights.

3. I did not buy much baby stuff ahead of time. Knit caps, tee shirts that do not snap at the bottom, long baby night gowns and swaddle blankets. Most everything else I purchased as needed or received from the hospital. I bought the pack and play and the car seat once the first baby was born. When the second one was born, I put the car seat and baby clothes in a large duffel bag and checked it on the plane. The pack and play went in a second duffel bag and traveled with my husband.

4. Flying back we did purchase a ticket for the baby. That allowed us to check everything except the car seat, which the baby stayed in the whole time, and what we needed for the flight. Bring at least one diaper for every hour of travel time. I was amazed at how many we went through.

5. Back at home, the baby slept in the pack and play for a few weeks until we purchased a crib. We bought a snap and go to use as a stroller. We borrowed a swing and some other equipment until there was a shower when the first was about 8 weeks old.

Good luck to everyone as you start out on your adoption journey. All the hard work is worth it. When I think about it now, if just one second of my life had been different, I would not be where I am today, with these amazing children. I tell them everyday, how happy I am that I was picked to be their mommy.

Kathleen

OhMeOhMy
12-28-2008, 01:20 AM
We had word from our Social Worker that she completed our Home Study and submitted it to our Adoption Agency on Christmas Eve.

The "unofficial" word is that we are approved but we still need to hear from our adoption agency. We also have to submit our profile book but it looks like we are officially waiting.

DH says I can start purchasing baby gear after the 1st of the year. :yay:

AlbrightRC
01-09-2009, 11:17 AM
We are in a slightly different situation then others here but i thought i would chime in. We are doing an international adoption and after just 5 months and 3 weeks on the wait list we received a referral on tuesday of a beautiful 6 month old boy. We should be flying to Ethiopia to bring him home in 3-5 months.
Renee

Malloryn
03-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Hi everyone! My husband and I are hopeful adoptive parents, and we're in the waiting period of a domestic adoption. I'm so thankful for resources like these forums. Going into a store like BRU can be so intimidating if you're not sure what you're looking for!

We're hoping to adopt a baby between 0 and 12 months of age. I'm trying to do my research ahead of time on the necessities (car seat, bottles, formula, etc.) so that we don't have to stress out if we get a sudden call :)

anng
03-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Hi!

We were approved to adopt domestically as of 8/08. I feel like I am an expert on strollers, cribs, etc. because I have been researching them like my life depends on it.

I haven't really purchased anything yet. My mom bought us a couple of onesies, and I got one pack of diapers because I couldn't stand it anymore.

I am so tempted to also get a crib and carseat, but I am trying to hold off as long as possible.

I have also crocheted a blanket:)

Best of luck to everyone!!

Ann Marie

AlbrightRC
03-19-2009, 10:29 AM
Our court date for our boy in ethiopia is march 31st...we are hoping we pass and can travel next month to bring him home. His room is ready, clothes are bought. We have strollers and a car seat and almost everything we need. Except that final shopping trip for food and diapers when we get the information on what size he is and what he's eating.:yay:

Malloryn
03-23-2009, 12:27 PM
Our court date for our boy in ethiopia is march 31st...we are hoping we pass and can travel next month to bring him home. His room is ready, clothes are bought. We have strollers and a car seat and almost everything we need. Except that final shopping trip for food and diapers when we get the information on what size he is and what he's eating.:yay:

Congratulations, that's wonderful news!! A colleague of mine was recently matched with a little boy in Ethiopia as well, and expects to travel in May or June. Best of luck to you!

alrusso
03-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Last time I wrote, we were matched and waiting for our baby. I'm happy to report that our son Zachary was born on November 11th. He is a domestic adoption from within our state. We brought him home at 2 days old and he is now 4 1/2 months old.
He is our only child and I am going to be 44!!! I enjoy reading your posts and I pray for a quick match for each of you. Believe me...the wait will be well worth it! We were matched 5 months after our profile became active and although that is pretty fast, the 5 months felt like an eternity. I think it's because it is all you can think about and the time just seems to drag while you're waiting for that phone call.
I'm looking forward to reading about all of the upcoming matches. Keep positive and your day will come :-)

Angela

shawnandangel
03-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Congratulations on bringing home your son Angela!

camm
04-11-2009, 09:16 AM
We are waiting. We have been waiting since December. We are in Chicago. We got a call last week from our SW saying there is a young lady in FL. that is due at the end of May. She wanted to know if we wanted our profile to be shown. We agreed to have it shown.

We aren't very familiar with the travel. I have been looking around at airfares just in case. So, this is where we are. Any suggestions on what we should be doing?

AlbrightRC
04-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Just an update we did pass our court date and we leave april 18th to bring home our son from EThiopia.

bigpassport
04-21-2009, 12:35 AM
I know this is a "waiting to be matched" thread, but it seemed to be the most active on the Adoption Board, so I wanted to introduce myself as I just discovered Baby Bargains over the weekend. After 4.5 years of ttc jumping through adoption hoops, we have met a birth mother who is due in mid-June. I don't want to say we were "matched" because it was miracle connection outside of the agency. The birthmother has selected us, we have been to her doctor's appts and u/s, and she has invited us to be at the birth. The details of when the baby will come to our home (either upon discharge from hospital or 72 hours after birth) have yet to be worked out. This is our first baby and I'll be turning 41 before baby arrives (Angela's post gives me hope that maybe this baby won't be an only child!). We are excited, still crossing our fingers but feel very blessed.

Hope the search is going well for everyone. Congrats to everyone with a baby on the way!

As I posted on the Nursery Board, I'm trying to figure out what the very basic things I need will be..without over buying in case the adoption goes south. There is an As They Grow consignment event this weekend in my town, so I am trying to get educated on the basics I might want to buy second hand there (I know, no car seats or cribs).

Sorry for such a long post. I need adoption people to talk to:)

Lee

Malloryn
04-22-2009, 09:07 AM
Hi Lee,

Congratulations and I'll keep my fingers crossed that things work out well! We're a waiting family ourselves. I've found these boards invaluable for learning what we need and don't need. We haven't bought many things yet, though lately I've been considering buying an infant carseat to have in case of a sudden call (Graco Snugride 32 most likely, since it has good stroller compatibility).

I noticed in your other post that you were thinking about adoptive breastfeeding. It's something I've thought about as well, and go back and forth on a regular basis. There's something good information on the kellymom.com website.

Take care and I look forward to hearing your updates :)

DaisyJ
05-17-2009, 07:20 PM
We were matched with a birth family 10 weeks ago and our daughter was born 17 days ago, we were able to bring her directly home from the hosptial. We had only waited about 9 months from the day our home study was completed to when the baby was born. Oh TPR was completed on Friday May 15! Legal risk period is over!!!! big sigh of relief.

Anyway, things you may need, I have found that for a carseat the Graco Snugride 32 is really nice. You never know how quickly the baby will grow, so you will have a bit of wiggle room there. Also, another, what I consider a necessity, would be to get a vibrating bouncy chair. Many people mentioned having the swing, that worked alright, but the vibrating chair has been the most used thing we have. We purchased the Boppy brand bouncer and travel swing. Oh, travel swings are great because they are compact and you can move them around the house with ease. The other thing I highly recommend is the Halo Sleep/Swaddle sack for night. I didn't think it was worth it, but my DH and I ran out and purchased one after our first night at home and have used it every night since then. It makes night time feedings and changing a breeze.

Good luck with the new baby! I hope everything goes smoothly for you.:yay:

kaydee76
05-30-2009, 02:25 AM
As many others have said, the original intent of this thread seems to have been "waiting to be matched," but the other threads aren't really active, so here I am. We're "expecting" a baby girl who is due 7/24. So far, so good, anyway. We've met the birthmother and both of her parents. I'm walking that tough line between preparing/being excited and trying not to get my hopes up too high -- we already had one failed match this year. We're preparing as though it's going to happen, because I feel like the birthmother is counting on us to do that and (from a more cynical perspective) because we're going to need all of this stuff whether our baby comes to us in July or much later.

Baby is being delivered one state away...coincidentally, about a half-hour from where my in-laws live. Which means that while we're waiting for ICPC clearance, we're potentially staying for up to 10 days with my MIL. Eeep! :p