PDA

View Full Version : I finally freed these pics from my camera- b-day and solar system cake.

kijip
08-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Well, Toby's been 5 for over a month but I wanted to share pictures of his cake this year. :)

At home, before the party.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/kijip/IMG_0026.jpg

At the party, with a teensy bit of grandma's hands lighting the candles.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/kijip/IMG_0027.jpg

And one just of the b-day boy at his party.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/kijip/IMG_0032.jpg

And a purely, ain't they cute pic of him and his cousin, my brother's daughter who is 1.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h204/kijip/IMG_0054_2.jpg

billysmommy
08-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Wow those cakes are amazing!!!!

I called Billy in to see them and he is in awe ~ he just stood there with his mouth open :)

Puddy73
08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Wow, those cakes are awesome! How did you ever manage that with all the morning sickness? I can't believe how grown-up T looks!

kate909
08-15-2008, 09:01 AM
Oh, wow! That is just so neat. And the kids are just adorable!

kijip
08-15-2008, 09:02 AM
Wow, those cakes are awesome! How did you ever manage that with all the morning sickness? I can't believe how grown-up T looks!
I consider it my greatest accomplishment (joking) that I did not throw up on or near those cakes while decorating them. My husband baked them all and we used big boxes of cake mix from Cash and Carry to save time. He baked them in bowls. I bought Wilton Icing in huge tubs rather than stress over making it in my mixer one batch at a time. So all I had to do was color the icing and ice the cakes. I have a mostly total sugar aversion because of the pregnancy but I just went slowly over a couple of days. I got too tired and my husband iced a couple of planets for me (Jupiter is his handiwork, as is Mars). We made the promise months ago, so we kept it. I did however make the rest of the party either someone else's job (my brother stuffed to goody boxes, my parents did most of the food, my mom stuffed the pinata, my friends helped clean up etc) and bought my way into an easy party with sandwich platters to avoid needing to BBQ.

elizabethkott
08-15-2008, 09:42 AM
What a great idea for cakes!!!
I love Earth and Saturn. Very creative!!!

megs4413
08-15-2008, 10:21 AM
so you went ahead and included pluto?! :P LOL!

looks like it was fun!

kijip
08-15-2008, 10:29 AM
so you went ahead and included pluto?! :P LOL!

looks like it was fun!

Pluto is an single icing squirt. :hysterical: So is the adjacent planetoid, Eris which Toby wanted to include since it is bigger than Pluto.

Mermanaid
08-15-2008, 10:52 AM
Those cakes are fantastic! I love the detail you put into Earth and Mars. :)

caleymama
08-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Awesome! Great job Katie :)
And I really can't believe how big/old Toby is!! He and your neice are adorable.

brittone2
08-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Toby looks so different than I remember him! He's such a big boy now.

DS is 4.5. 4 seemed like a big step. 5 seems even bigger!!!

What a great (and memorable) job you did. I'm sure Toby loved it and will remember it in the future :)

kijip
08-15-2008, 11:47 AM
He and your neice are adorable.

Thanks! He is really looking forwards to being a big brother. He just loves his cousin. I always feel vain talking about how cute my niece is because that girl is my mini-me excepting the blue eyes (mine are green). Honestly, she looks more like I did at her age than my own daughter (should I have one) ever could.

elektra
08-15-2008, 11:57 AM
I am in awe.

maestramommy
08-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Oh wow! When did Toby change so much??? I swear I haven't seen a pic of him since your old avatar. Happy Birthday!!!

The cakes are awesome! Why am I not surprised that's what he wanted?:)

lizajane
08-15-2008, 01:47 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

I AM NOT WORTHY!!!

you are TOO awesome and i refuse to sign a waiver that says i will not steal that idea in the future.

(and your boy is adooooorable.)

rlu
08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
The cakes look great (and the kids too of course)

Where did the shuttles come from? Those are super cute.

kijip
08-15-2008, 03:41 PM
you are TOO awesome and i refuse to sign a waiver that says i will not steal that idea in the future.

(and your boy is adooooorable.)

I am happy to send you step by step pictures so you can steal all you want to. It was not as hard as I thought it would be (bear in mind I have decorated exactly 4 different b-day cakes- Big Bird, standing Thomas, Lightening McQueen and these- so I have limited experience) because all we needed was a bunch of various sized bowls and a ton of dye. I found it easier than Big Bird and Thomas, just bigger. :)

kijip
08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Where did the shuttles come from? Those are super cute.

Shuttles: Birthday Express. They had a pinata too.

Rovers: They are those essentially unedible harder than rock sugar shapes they sell in the decorating aisle at Michael's and grocery stores in various themes. They are from Wall-e movie which he had not seen at the time but the rovers looked cute! Now that T has seen the movie with his dad, he is even more happy they were on the cakes.