PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Off Topic...ISO toy kitchens

grins88
08-15-2008, 10:07 AM
This maybe a little off topic, but I am looking for a toy kitchen for DD. My MIL buys one for all of her granddaughters, so she asked me to look for which one I want. Which ones do you all recommend, and does anyone know of any great deals on them out there? Any info is appreciated.

MMMommy
08-15-2008, 10:26 AM
If a Costco is available to you, the Costco warehouses should be getting their play kitchen in stock anytime within the next couple of months as part of their seasonal holiday toy section. The last two seasons they had the Kidkraft pink retro kitchen set (the two piece set). Three seasons ago they had the Kidkraft Ultimate Kitchen. My assumption is that they will have a play kitchen available this year too (but not positive). But in any event, it is always a good deal for the price.

Twoboos
08-15-2008, 10:34 AM
We had a small space so got the Target Play Wonder kitchen. It is perfect for our needs! There is a newer version now, I think with microwave on top and a different layout. And is of course pink instead of blue (which we have). Can't seem to find it online now... but it's in store.

happi
08-15-2008, 11:19 AM
I was just looking at one last night on walmart. It's a fisher price learning kitchen for $64.88. I think it would be alot of fun and the price is right. We were thinking of getting it for our son. He loves to stand and play with stuff and the tool bench stuff is for older kids.

brittone2
08-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Do you want plastic, MDF, or natural wood? Do you have room for a big one or are you looking for something on the smaller side? Do you need room for more than one kid to play? Island style or something that sits against the wall?

Step 2 is one of the big makers of plastic playkitchens.

Kidkraft, Melissa and Doug, Target, etc make decent MDF ones.

Elves and Angels, Willow Toys, and Little Colorado are some makers of wooden kitchens. Those are a little more spendy but are solid wood and can always be repaired, sanded down, etc.

Ditto the PP on checking Costco in coming weeks.

PBK has several styles of kitchens, as does Land of Nod.

I think I've read the Educo kitchen is good for smaller spaces (a bit of a smaller scale)

Haba and Alex both make table-top sized cooktops (just two burners) which can be nice for small spaces.

You can google "playkitchen preschool" or similar to find school supply places that sell playkitchens (some of them have an island setup which allows several kids to play at once...at least in theory ;) ) Guidecraft is a manufacturer that sells to a lot of schools and they have some interesting options.

There are some great old threads in the archives.

HTH.

grins88
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Thanks! There are so many choices, and I am a little overwhelmed. I would prefer a wooden kitchen like PBK or Kidcraft retro. I think DH is leaning toward plastic. I am really hoping I can run across one at Costco. That would be perfect.

brittone2
08-15-2008, 01:36 PM
I just noticed you are a NC mama. I'm in NC as well. I'm not sure if you are in an area where there is an active Craigslist or not, but in the Triangle I see quite a few play kitchens if you are open to 2nd hand. The larger plastic ones often go for $20-30 or so, and I've even seen some nice wooden ones, PBK sets, etc. for a fraction of the price of buying new. I just thought I'd toss that possibility out there because if you have some time, it may be something to keep an eye on.

We bought an Elves and Angels kitchen, which I like because it is gender neutral and I think it is nice enough to maybe hand down to the grandkids one day ;) Emerson Waldorf school outside of Chapel Hill sells them in their school store if you are at all near the Triangle and are interested in seeing them IRL.

grins88
08-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks. That does help a lot. I am in Winston, but for a good enough deal, the Triangle is only a short trip.