PDA

View Full Version : Toys for mechanically-motivated 1 year old?

allenhaus
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Looks like our little guy is the "figure it out" type, like his mechanical grandpa and uncle. However, he's still very much experiencing things by sticking them in his mouth. Any suggestions for a more complex-type toy that is still safe for a little one who likes to taste everything? :) We're trying to stay away from the electronic stuff.... Thanks so much!

brittone2
08-15-2008, 08:35 PM
You might want to get some ideas by looking at Montessori catalogs.

You might want to consider peg puzzles, a latches board or box, etc.

allenhaus
08-19-2008, 10:50 PM
Thanks for that lead! I'd thought of a lock/latch box or board earlier and had completely forgotten about it. The Montessori toys look good also, and my mom suggested a board that you can pound dowels back and forth in. Still eager to hear any other suggestions! :)

Percycat
08-20-2008, 03:53 PM
DS was given a few excess pieces of track and a few cars from a friend when he was about 18 mo. It has been fun watching him grow with this toy. At first, he was fascinated with putting the track together in a curvy line -- he didn't know how to make a complete loop. He is now 5 and builds complicated tracks and makes up detailed stories about the trains that travel on them.

hellokitty
08-20-2008, 04:04 PM
How about a wooden train track? It's not really technical, but he may enjoy linking together the different tracks, which actually does take some skill. Also, you should get him some widgits!!! They are great and not a choking hazard. He will play with those for a longgg time. Even adults like playing with them! Also, the baby legos sound like they might be a big hit too.

allenhaus
08-22-2008, 05:03 PM
These are great suggestions! I especially like the thought that a toy can "grow with him," piquing interest at later stages as well. I'll be on the lookout for wooden trains, as well as the other toys suggested.... :)